I'm getting a complete renewal of my rig soon, and I've narrowed down my amp choice to two things. I just want to know what UG things about this. I don't, and really doubt I'll ever gig or play with a band. The only thing I can see myself doing is jamming with another guitarist, but nobody would have anything amazing, so. At first I was veering towards the 6505, because I thought I exclusively played metal, but then I realized that I play everything. And I'd like a looper. And a wah. (footswitch) And delay. I don't care much for modulation effects..but..they're there at least. And a way to record without an expensive interface/micing up my amp.

Just wondering, what do you guys think is a better option? How does the Tube 60 sound compared to the 6505+? Is the USB out on the Tube 60 satisfactory? (unedited sound clips would be nice.)

On a side note, anything will be an improvement over my current setup of 6 years. I'll exclude that from this post, for the sake of...yeah.
Last edited by Aturaya at Oct 2, 2010,
The Tube 60 sounds a lot better than the 6505+ imho.

The 6505+ is like the monstrous floppy vagina of amps. It sounds immensely brutal but you get extremely bad leads and very very loose rhythm. It's perfect for hardcore plays who get off on really loose and floppy stuff, but if you want a proper articulated sound, this amp will anger you.

The Tube 60 has a much more articulated sound even though it's a modelling amp. I think it will suit you better if you really do play bits of everything.

What types of bands in metal do you listen to?
Last edited by Guitar Sushi at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by Guitar Sushi

The 6505+ is like the monstrous floppy vagina of amps. It sounds immensely brutal but you get extremely bad leads and very very loose rhythm. It's perfect for hardcore plays who get off on really loose and floppy stuff, but if you want a proper articulated sound, this amp will anger you.

The Tube 60 has a much more articulated sound even though it's a modelling amp. I think it will suit you better if you really do play bits of everything.

In metal, I listen to everything. I love my chunky floppy 9 gauge strings in Drop 漢 riffs, but I love prog as well. It's weird. I also like stuff from Satch and Vai... So I do like having leads, and I like doing completely clean improv over a backing track.
Quote by Guitar Sushi

ORLY?

Honestly, you're doing it wrong. Turn the bass down a bit and it's plenty tight.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^^ When you sit it down next to a Marshall JVM or a fellow Peavey JSX. "Rolling off the bass" does not help the floppiness, it simply drops the amps balls.

So a peavey 6505+ is really, in a sense, a hermaphrodite.
Quote by Guitar Sushi

The 6505+ is anything BUT loose. The 6505+ is one of the tightest all-tube amps on the market and in no way is it 'very very loose.' If you played a 6505+ and it was extremely loose then you must have been playing one with bad poweramp tubes or something. If by 'rhythm' you mean the 'rhythm' channel then yes its not as tight as the 'lead' channel but 98% of 6505 users use the lead channel for their regular distorted tone as do most rock/metal bands who play other amps as well. The rhythm channel is meant (for the 6505+ series) to be a clean or mid gain channel (with the crunch button enabled).

Either way saying the 6505+ is loose is nothing short of crazy.

Getting back to the Vypyr vs. 6505+ I would suggest the Vypyr because as you said you would like to have some of the built-in effects etc. (you'll need to budget for a sanpera 1 or 2 footpedal though to aid in controlling some of the effects). If you're not playing in a band and only at most playing with another guitar player then I wouldn't even worry about getting the tube version. I'd suggest the Vypyr 30 or 75 at most (if you get the 75 then in the future if you do play with the band you'll be good volume-wise). If you're planning to use the direct-out recording then having a vypyr tube will not do you any good because it wont make a difference.
Quote by Guitar Sushi
^^ When you sit it down next to a Marshall JVM or a fellow Peavey JSX. "Rolling off the bass" does not help the floppiness, it simply drops the amps balls.

So a peavey 6505+ is really, in a sense, a hermaphrodite.

Er, what?

It doesn't get rid of the amp's balls. Besides that, Peaveys have a Resonance control, which is a sub-bass control. If that's turned up everything gets floppy as hell.

Besides that, What AkiraSpectrum said.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.