so my dad came home with football cards for my sisters today but he always gets me something different for me (i dont like football as much i prefer music)

so today he came home and gave me 2 things GHS string cleaning cloth, and ernie ball nylon strings

now i was wondering since i only have steel string acoustic guitars, if i could put nylon strings on a steel string acoustic?
It won't really work well.

First of all, nylon strings need to be tied to the bridge. Something a steel string guitar can't really accommodate unless you use some sort of creative means to do so.

Secondly, nylon strings would not sound right because steel string guitars are braced very heavily compared to a nylon string guitar. The strings do not have enough force to drive the soundboard properly.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
also they won't fit in the nut slots as they're much thicker than steel strings.
Don't open the box and you should be able to exchange them for a set of steel strings. Just tell your dad that he goofed, but definitely thank him also since it was a random act of kindness.
can you do this if you want a nylon sound without having to buy a proper nylon string axe?
not really. classical guitars aren't braced the same way, and that means different tone.
it wont do damage to the guitar though will it?

i bought a set of ball end nylon strings hoping to put them on my takamine steel string...
no, but it won't fit in the nut slots, won't fit correctly on the tuning pegs and won't sound good. they also may well not fit in the peg slots or the holes - the strings are a lot thicker. and if you don't fit the pegs in correctly, it can cause damage to the bridge plate.
Nylon strings have just about half the tension as a set of steel strings. As the guys note, nylon strings are much thicker than the equivalent steel string, and as a result they will not drop properly into the nut slots, especially for the upper strings.
Not a good idea...Exchange 'em.
also they may not be heavy enough to drive the top.

Quote by Bikewer
Nylon strings have just about half the tension as a set of steel strings. As the guys note, nylon strings are much thicker than the equivalent steel string, and as a result they will not drop properly into the nut slots, especially for the upper strings.
Not a good idea...Exchange 'em.
PATTICAKE has it correct on ALL counts!! good to se some EXELLENT ADVISE!!!