Hey UG, I've been spending a few weeks trying to develop better picking technique, but I still think I'm doing something wrong. Instead of trying to explain how I pick, here's a (crap) video of me trying to solo with an updated picking technique. I've heard the "it's what works for you" approach to picking a million times, but something feels and looks wrong to me. Any help is appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhxzSA5D9TU

I'm using a dunlop jazz III (black kind) and the main problem I have is that the pick keeps slipping out of my grip and I feel like I flex my right arm too much when I pick fast. And yeah I use a metronome
Gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Epiphone SG
Simon & Patrick Songsmith Acoustic
Crate GLX 65
EHX Metal Muff
try to change to bigger picks, and look at the video that paul gilbert explains picking mecanics. Just guide by what sounds good and try to avoid anchoring. Always try to pick from your wrist rather than from your elbow-
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
dont grip hard pick and dont flex your arm or wrist try to pick from wrist dont use elbow much
and last thing try to pick little motion i have same problem with you keep your wrist relax it works
dont change your pick i think its good im using too but if you want bigger use jaz III XL
sorry for bad english btw ^^'
Last edited by melroth at Oct 3, 2010,
Quote by Pepefloydean
try to change to bigger picks, and look at the video that paul gilbert explains picking mecanics. Just guide by what sounds good and try to avoid anchoring. Always try to pick from your wrist rather than from your elbow-

whats the reason for this?
Quote by AFG34
whats the reason for this?

Quote by Freepower
I wouldnt anchor. You can't do it without creating tension, it limits your movement, and it creates friction. What advantages does it have? None.

tooshorttopost
Use wrist for picking motion, elbow for moving from the upper strings to the lower and vice-versa. Thats what I suggest atleast.
You definitely need to slow down, and work on not playing with tension. Especially at the faster parts, you picking looks uncontrolled, which is definitely not good. Try slowing it down, and working on control and accuracy as opposed to speed.
ok, I'll work on playing slow again and increasing my speed, thanks guys!
Gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Epiphone SG
Crate GLX 65
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by hippieboy444
I'd first work on your tone.

I second!!!
Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded.

-Jimi Hendrix-
haha, the tone is a lot better than the video makes it sound, I'm not worried about that
Gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Epiphone SG
Crate GLX 65
EHX Metal Muff