So for a bit of fun and my own personal preference in guitars I decided that there is pretty much no "perfect" guitar out there for me, sure there are some that are good, even great at that, but no stock guitar out there has ever made me think "I need that". As such I'm building one, at least will be soon. Problem is that I am by no means expert in probably all the fields required to do this. So I have a lot of questions to get answers to before I can really get started on building.

From my logic right now a pickup in an electric guitar is probably where the starting point should be, get a pickup for the sound you want, find the wood that best suits the pickup, get the parts that work with the pickup... I may be wrong but hey, you have to start somewhere and this is where I am deciding my start point should be.

Anyway so I got this weird thing for 3 humbucker guitars. Problem is like I said I am by no means an expert in this field(that being humbuckers).

So the first question I have is: "Is there such thing as a correct spacing for this set up?"

As in how far the pickups need to be from each other and how far the pickups should be from the neck and bridge (this includes the middle pickups). I've heard stuff in the past about having a pickup too close to the bridge will cause it to pickup the sounds of the strings on the other side of the bridge, but I never heard of anything like that for the neck side.

Second question: "Is there a difference in using a bridge or a neck pickups in the middle position?"

From reading some inquires about putting bridge pickups in the neck position saying that the only difference between the two(this is assuming that they are the same model of pickup) is the output level. although I am also assuming that one will have a more bass sound than the other. So is there any preference for which type of pickup should be used in the middle position and what are the pros and cons of each option.

In relation to question two is: "Will turning the pickup upside-down/backwards effect the sound of both the pickup being turned and the ones adjacent to it?"

This being to rotate the pickups 180°. I know that the idea behind the humbucker is there are two pickups, one is wound regularly and the other is reverse wound, but will putting the pickup in the reverse direction that is was intended for have that drastic of a change on the end result here. Is there a benefit to doing this?

...For some reason I can't remember what my last question was but I guess this is good enough for now. Hope this isn't to much for one post but I've got a lot of questions and might as well tackel as many related ones at one time as I can.

Thanks in advance to anyone who tries to answer any of these.
Last edited by PublicAngel at Oct 2, 2010,
As for spacing, in an HHH guitar, your not going to have much room to move them anyway. But it will sound different, there isn't any "sweet spot" that is better than all the rest.

Usually Bridge pickups are higher output, if they're made to match the output of a neck humbucker. It may also be EQ'd differently, but that all depends on the pickup.

And no, rotating it may do a little when coil splitting, but I don't think it would do too much difference just flipping it around.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
As for spacing, in an HHH guitar, your not going to have much room to move them anyway. But it will sound different, there isn't any "sweet spot" that is better than all the rest.

Usually Bridge pickups are higher output, if they're made to match the output of a neck humbucker. It may also be EQ'd differently, but that all depends on the pickup.

And no, rotating it may do a little when coil splitting, but I don't think it would do too much difference just flipping it around.

Mkay, that's pretty much what I was expecting but thanks for helping confirm that in my head. it's a bit of a mess up there