Hey, ive been trying to sweep for ages but i just cant get the hang of it.
Is there anyone who can help me?
I also don't want anything to do with scales.
If you could help, thanks heaps in advance.
Practice basic sweep shapes using a metronome at a slow pace until you can do it easily and cleanly. Then, up it by 5 or 10 bpm at a time until you're at your desired speed.

EDIT: This is one of those techniques that takes a LOT of practice to get down, and can take a long time to. But once you get it down, it's easy as hell to do
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Oct 2, 2010,
Quote by darkwolf291
Practice basic sweep shapes using a metronome at a slow pace until you can do it easily and cleanly. Then, up it by 5 or 10 bpm at a time until you're at your desired speed.

^yup thats how you do it, it takes awhile but then its worth it.
Internet trolls are like sap in trees. sticky and annoying, but good on pancakes.
Learn scales. Music will make so much more sense, and you will be a load better. But everyone else has the right idea.
pick the strings uniformly - don't let the pick dip into the "bed" of the strings too much. try practicing some quick strumming (as in black metal stuff, for example) to develop a better feel for how your picking hand should move.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
12h15p12-------------12h15p12--
-------------14-----14----------------
-----------------13--------------------
Try doing this and keep practicing. You'll get it down eventually.
Guitars:
*Carvin DC 127
*Dean Vendetta 2.0 w/ SD Invader pup
*BSX Beast
Amp:
*Peavey Triple XXX Head
*Marshal VS412 Cabinet

The Channel of Crappy Played Metal Covers (if you're into that)
Yer, but i've been trying for a couple of years, a few times each week, but i just can't get it
Quote by ralius18
Yer, but i've been trying for a couple of years, a few times each week, but i just can't get it

Try loosening your grip slightly on the pick and barely touch all the strings you're sweeping. Your left hand will eventually memorize the frets and your right hand will mute the strings so they don't ring and so on. Just keep at it. I am still working on my 5 string sweeps but once you get the basics down, everything else comes along.
Guitars:
*Carvin DC 127
*Dean Vendetta 2.0 w/ SD Invader pup
*BSX Beast
Amp:
*Peavey Triple XXX Head
*Marshal VS412 Cabinet

The Channel of Crappy Played Metal Covers (if you're into that)