The band that spawned both the Dead Boys and Pere Ubu, literally on the first punk bands. They, as well as Television, spawned the Punk movement really. There is only one release from the original group, and it is amazing.

Any other fans?
Once fixed a toilet with an old trombone...
I've listened to and enjoyed them, but I haven't gotten my paws on their music yet.
I have that release, but I've only listened to it once. I probably should again.
I love the Dead Boys, and Pere Ubu are pretty cool, so I dunno why I never really listen to Rocket From the Tombs.
Quote by lookpizza

Unrelated, their name was just influenced by Rocket from the Tombs.

Here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqFBljD2BS0&feature=related

This song ended up as Pere Ubu's first single, after Thomas and Chrome had decided not to use RFTT songs in their new bands. And that's why the Dead Boys played sonic reducer, and a few others.

This is also a cool version, but I think it's pretty recent, I know they reformed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI4uEl7EljA

TS, I'd argue that Television have very little claim when it comes to starting punk, they were an important component of the CBGB scene but were largely irrelevant in the bigger picture of seeding bands, comparison to all of the proto groups.

EDIT: Plus, Television suck.
Last edited by BrianApocalypse at Oct 3, 2010,
Well Television were the artsy ones, just like Patty Smith. Verlaine and Smith actually dated for a while, and influenced each others lyrical vision. One could argue that Television helped pave the way for Sonic Youth's twin guitar meanderings.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
TS, I'd argue that Television have very little claim when it comes to starting punk, they were an important component of the CBGB scene but were largely irrelevant in the bigger picture of seeding bands, comparison to all of the proto groups.

Agreed.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
EDIT: Plus, Television suck.

Disagreed.
Quote by ndrummerc
Well Television were the artsy ones, just like Patty Smith. Verlaine and Smith actually dated for a while, and influenced each others lyrical vision. One could argue that Television helped pave the way for Sonic Youth's twin guitar meanderings.

We know this, brah. We've read the Wikipedia pages too.

Plus, what does Sonic Youth have to do with this.

Edit: And I agree with Tom.
Getting back to RFTT, I think The Dead Boys' version of "Ain't It Fun" is still the definitive one nonetheless.
I have a live version somewhere (but it's not from the live album Liver than you'll ever be, it's some kind of bootleg or live comp), and that's def. my favourite.

That said, props to Slash, who does some amazing guitar on the GnR version. Don't like their cover as much overall though.
Oh yeah, and I'm afraid that this thread has been victim to double standards because mew and my main man are seeing Richard Lloyd on friday. Haha!
One day you said you liked Television becuz you heard "Torn Curtain." I know that was just a transient appreciation for one song, but I just want you to know that I REMEMBER and that YOU'RE A HYPOCRITE.
Oh snap!

On topic: this band was much worse than the sum of its parts.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by werty22
One day you said you liked Television becuz you heard "Torn Curtain." I know that was just a transient appreciation for one song, but I just want you to know that I REMEMBER and that YOU'RE A HYPOCRITE.

I read that as 'Tom Curtain' and laughed, because I thought that I'd once posted while drunk and gotten Tom Verlaine's name wrong.

Why are you posting in capitals? ARE YOU PUNK ROCK? like THE EXPLOITED or TELEVISION?