I've been playing for about 2 years now and I just recently got into doing more difficult techniques, I've really only played blues and some classical and a good amount of bass and I decided "Hey why not try some new techniques".
I started tapping at the beginning of the year and I've got the hang of it now, I can only do two-hand taps though, but never got the hang of tapping arpeggios.
I started practicing sweep picking recently but can't even do 3 string sweeps a lot of my friends told me that sweep picking is really easy and once I get the hang of it, it's one of those things that you can easily advance on.
They told if I get the hang of it an easy solo to start on is the Symphony of Destruction solo but I can't even get the hang of 3 string sweeps, I've watched videos on Youtube but those didn't help.
I also wanna learn the seek and destroy solo but I don't know what technique Kirk uses for it....so UG can you help me?
Im not great at sweeping so my advice wont be superb, i can only do 4 string sweeps at the moment but for what its worth,
All i did was just practice and practice (slow at 1st), Concentrate on getting it as clean as possible.
I found it easier at 1st to sweep upwards, trying to have a play around so you can get the feel for the motion and sync with boths hands and what ever you find most comfortable.

Sorry if i wasn't much help.
Good Luck
Last edited by smokeysteve22 at Oct 3, 2010,
Quote by smokeysteve22
Im not great at sweeping so my advice wont be superb, i can only do 4 string sweeps at the moment but for what its worth,
All i did was just practice and practice (slow at 1st), Concentrate on getting it as clean as possible.
I found it easier at 1st to sweep upwards, trying to have a play around so you can get the feel for the motion and sync with boths hands and what ever you find most comfortable.

Sorry if i wasn't much help.
Good Luck

Any advice is helpful dude!
I only one time got a clean sweep but after numerous re-attempts I couldn't get it again
Quote by Megadeth210
Any advice is helpful dude!
I only one time got a clean sweep but after numerous re-attempts I couldn't get it again

Try to slow it right down. Try getting the metronome and just set it at 3/4 and just play at quarter notes at 100bpm or even slower, really to get that sync going.

As soon as you strike a note, quickly remove your finger to prevent notes ringing out together and use fingers in use to rest against previous striked strings.
If your having trouble with muting, have a look at freepowers youtube video on muting really helpful.

Good luck.
It's often best to learn new techniques on tunes you are familiar with. the ones for which your muscle memory takes over. That way you can concentrate on the new technique rather than what chord or note comes next or on trying to keep the rhythm, etc.

Just improvise and add some sweep picking to an easy tune you know. Get the skill down then move on to sometnig new.
if you've played some classical guitar then you could always try hybrid picking the arpeggios
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Try to not bounce the pick between strings. It's, as you prob know, a slow, precise strum.
Contrary to the general consensus of casual players, action that's not super low helps a buttload w/ playing cleanly, especially with sweeps. Not super high like for slide work, but not totally on the deck where it frets out with anything more then a light pick attack.