Hey guys. I need help, and preferably quick help...

I put new strings on my LTD, some Dunlops, that are made for "Extreme Drop Tuning". I was going to Drop C, even though it isnt "extreme". Here lies my problem...

I have a Floyd Rose. And when tuning to Drop C, after I got it tuned correctly, the back end of the floyd was WAY too angled (up). This was because I looped too much of the string through the tuners. I dont want to restring it, because these are the only ones I have now, but I need to be in Drop C soon, and I dont want a messed up Floyd. I havent messed with the stuff of the back of the guitar yet, will this help?

Thanks for reading, and please help me
Try unscrewing the plate on the back of the guitar and you'll see two screws holding the 3 (or so?) springs up by a metal plate. Try screwing those screws a little at a time and the bridge should level out.
Guitars:
*Carvin DC 127
*Dean Vendetta 2.0 w/ SD Invader pup
*BSX Beast
Amp:
*Peavey Triple XXX Head
*Marshal VS412 Cabinet

The Channel of Crappy Played Metal Covers (if you're into that)
Quote by CarvinDC127
Try unscrewing the plate on the back of the guitar and you'll see two screws holding the 3 (or so?) springs up by a metal plate. Try screwing those screws a little at a time and the bridge should level out.

You'll have to keep re-tuning as you're doing this, till the bridge levels out. It's a bit of a process, but you'll get it.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by CarvinDC127

dont forget to loosen the strings before you do this
It also might not hurt to add another spring in the back.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by supersac
dont forget to loosen the strings before you do this

thanks for all the quick responses. how much should i loosen? 1 step? or alot more?
edit: noob question, but do i screw the screws (?) in or out?
Last edited by AJSaw at Oct 3, 2010,
unscrew the back plate and tighten the screws, that will bring the bridge back down. Loosening them will raise the bridge.

and make sure u slacken the strings before you do it.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Also don't use the fine tuners for everything. Just once your in tune at the nut. Unscrew the nut before you bring them down a whole step. Make sure to TIGHTEN the screws below the bridge a little at a time and retune. The retuning adjusts the bridge height depending on how far down it is.

Also don't worry, you have to do this whenever you switch tunings a whole step all around or more at a time. For me, my Carvin needs adjusting if i even switch from Standard E to Eb.
Guitars:
*Carvin DC 127
*Dean Vendetta 2.0 w/ SD Invader pup
*BSX Beast
Amp:
*Peavey Triple XXX Head
*Marshal VS412 Cabinet

The Channel of Crappy Played Metal Covers (if you're into that)
it's a real pain in the ass to get it right, so the easiest way is to just block your floyd, if you don't care about doing pull ups on it, only drop downs. Just put a wooden block the size of the space between the floyd rose and the guitar(in the cavity on the back) and you're set! I actually use a small stack of extra guitar picks I have lying around, the sizes I'll never use, and I wrap a piece of tape around them.

Blocking your floyd will allow you to drop tune and tune back to standard tuning as much as you want without having to worry about spring tension, and it'll still allow drops. If you have questions on how to do it, just check youtube for a tutorial.
Pretty much all those responses. Here's the deal with floating trems. Anytime you change tunings or string gauges, your going to have to re-adjust the bridge. In order for a floating trem to stay in tune, the tension of the springs in the back of the guitar need to be equal to the tension of the strings. When their tensions are equal the base of the bridge will be parallel to the body of the guitar. So if the bridge is pulling up out of the body, you will need to tighten the screws to add tension to the strings. But like they said^, make sure you loosen the strings some first. If you don't and tighten the bridge to much, the strings will snap.

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Wow guys, thanks for all the help I tried it and after a few failed attempts, I'm now all set Thanks you guys, you saved me