Soooo.... I'm not sure if I should put this here, but anyways...

I just found out that I'm getting about $2000 back from my college loan.
Should I save it, or take it as a sign from the heavens that I need to buy a new amp?
And if I should buy a new amp, what would you suggest?

I play bluesy-rock, for those of you who don't know.
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Bleach, OP, Naruto, GE, Rosario+Vampire, Soul Eater, Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kimi No Iru Machi, HSD Kenichi, and many more!!!
I'd save it , but I think you should kind of weigh what would happen if you spent it or not and then just do what you'd like with it.
My username lies. I play an LTD.
Save it.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Save it dude, you never know what'll come down the road.
ledzeppelin7510 wrote:

come on guys, this could be great for Portnoy; remember when Neil Peart left Rush to join My Chemical Romance? Oh...wait...
Buy a new amp. As for the brand and model, what sort of thing are you looking for? How many watts? Any particular type of tone you like?

I'm getting $3000 this month, though. Seriously. I'm getting a Classic Player Jazzmaster, and I'm still trying to decide what else to get gear-wise.
Maybe if you could sell your MA and buy a JVM.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mint-Marshall-JVM410H-100W-4-Channel-Valve-Guitar-Amp-/130438014120?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5eb624a8

You'll lose maybe 500 of your dollars and have one of the best Marshalls ever made. The JVM seriously is THAT good. I was always a "Marshall-skeptic" until I played this amp. The JCM 2000s and MA are rubbish imho but the JVM. NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM

Or just save it (though if the saved money is going to end up going into a flash car you may as well spend it nao)
Quote by Levi79
saving it isnt really up to us.

But a good idea would be to get a good yet decent priced amp and save the rest.
I reccomend a Valveking. Then you still have 1200-1400$ left.

Personally, I think ValveKings suck. Peavey makes much better amps. I don't know why they're so revered here.
Quote by Holy Katana
Personally, I think ValveKings suck. Peavey makes much better amps. I don't know why they're so revered here.

Agree: The Valveking blows compared to the JSX (which is ossim)
Quote by Guitar Sushi

I would if I can find someone who'd buy a broken amp... lol
But there's a thread all about that buried under days worth of other people's questions and stories, so I won't bore you with it.

I'm really tottering on just saving it, but I've never been able to save money before...
I've been looking at this http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-30112-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=481014 for a few days now, and I was thinking about just using a bit of it for this, and as someone said earlier saving the rest of it.

I'm not looking for anything too incredibly powerful, probably 50-60 watt max.
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
Bleach, OP, Naruto, GE, Rosario+Vampire, Soul Eater, Kyou Kara Ore Wa, Kimi No Iru Machi, HSD Kenichi, and many more!!!
Last edited by Fantum1337 at Oct 3, 2010,
I was going to suggest the Peavey Classic 30, but you should look at other brands, too. You can get some incredible low-wattage tube amps for under $2000.
I may end up waiting until I am released from the confines of this dorm room and just go try out a bunch.
Main Gear:
Epi Les Paul Ultra II
Bastard Telecaster
Pignose Legendary 7-100

Manga I'm reading!!!
what type of a loan is it? what's the interest rate? when do you have to pay it back? etc.

Here in the UK, you only have to pay it back after you start earning a certain amount of money, and the rate of interest is around inflation, so if you're in that type of situation, while blowing it all on an amp mightn't be the smartest move ever, it wouldn't be the stupidest one either, and might make sense if you badly need one (of course you wouldn't necessarily have to, and probably shouldn't, blow it all on an amp).

If you're on a more commercial type of student loan, where you have to start paying it back after a certain amount of time (whether you have a job or not), where the rate is closer to commercial rates etc., then...

don't be daft.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Guitar Sushi

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mint-Marshall-JVM410H-100W-4-Channel-Valve-Guitar-Amp-/130438014120?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5eb624a8

You'll lose maybe 500 of your dollars and have one of the best Marshalls ever made. The JVM seriously is THAT good. I was always a "Marshall-skeptic" until I played this amp. The JCM 2000s and MA are rubbish imho but the JVM. NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM

Or just save it (though if the saved money is going to end up going into a flash car you may as well spend it nao)

if you're going to buy an amp that expensive, make sure you try it before, I've rarely hated an amp as much as the JVM, it's one of the worse expensive amps I've played actually IMO, it sounds lifeless in any setting..