I'm on an endless quest for maximum efficiency of my money. As said in the title, I have about $1600 for a complete rig overhaul. I play everything, (yes, I mean everything) mostly metal. If there's anything that I'd want to be the best, it would be metal leads. Think prog. I don't have a band, nobody to jam with (everyone I know sucks.) I'm pretty much just a bedroom rocker.

Now..for a guitar..

-I like Mahogany/Alder.
-I'm not a huge fan of active pickups, but I can deal with them.
-Hardtail, PRS style, Floyd Rose, I don't care. If it's a trash Floyd Rose, count it out.
-I'm not really partial to any body shape. Anything but something like one of those stupid low end B.C. Rich guitars.
-I love Jackson Necks.
-I hate Les Paul necks.
-I'd like 2 volume controls, but that's not necessary.
-And I'd prefer if there's no middle pickup. Also not necessary, but it just increases the price.

And for an amp and what not..

-I don't exactly find it efficient to have a full stack in my bedroom.
-Having good metal lead tones is a must, then everything else can be fine.
-I would REALLY like to be able to record with presentable quality.
---A processor/monitor setup would work, as long as they're not huge.
---I'd also like some portability, so..
-I'd like a delay and wah pedal.

I understand that this might be asking too much, but whatever. It's worth a try.
It has a half-power switch. What does the weight matter if the only place it is gonna be is in your bed room?

You can try the Blackstar HT series too which I've heard nothing but good things about.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Colgate Total
It has a half-power switch. What does the weight matter if the only place it is gonna be is in your bed room?

You can try the Blackstar HT series too which I've heard nothing but good things about.

I guess it doesn't matter, really. I've looked at the Blackstar HT-5 combo, but I don't know how it will go for metal, even with a boost. I've heard people say it goes well into death metal territories when boosted, and I've heard people say it barely hits metal when boosted. Who knows?
Those JSX amps are incredible. If you can spring for one, I would.

EDIT: Oh, the HT-5 can and WILL do metal, especially with a boost. I use a Bad Monkey to boost mine (Well, more or less I just use it to tighten up the gain), and an EQ to level things out a little better.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Oct 3, 2010,
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Those JSX amps are incredible. If you can spring for one, I would.

EDIT: Oh, the HT-5 can and WILL do metal, especially with a boost. I use a Bad Monkey to boost mine (Well, more or less I just use it to tighten up the gain), and an EQ to level things out a little better.

My original concern was my assumption that a 2x12 would be huge, but after looking at the dimensions and seeing that it's around the same size as a 6505+ 112...

So what would you recommend? HT-5 or JSX? I can get a set or neck through guitar with the extra funds from getting an HT-5, and 5 tube watts is more sensible for bedroom usage. However..the JSX probably blows the HT-5 away tone and build quality-wise.
Last edited by Aturaya at Oct 3, 2010,
Quote by Aturaya
I guess it doesn't matter, really. I've looked at the Blackstar HT-5 combo, but I don't know how it will go for metal, even with a boost. I've heard people say it goes well into death metal territories when boosted, and I've heard people say it barely hits metal when boosted. Who knows?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDFQi_jBN20

One of the few videos I've seen. The guy's playing ain't great, but it shows that the HT 5 can do metal. Rob Chapman said he prefers it over the Tiny Terror.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Quote by Aturaya
My original concern was my assumption that a 2x12 would be huge, but after looking at the dimensions and seeing that it's around the same size as a 6505+ 112...

So what would you recommend? HT-5 or JSX? I can get a set or neck through guitar with the extra funds from getting an HT-5, and 5 tube watts is more sensible for bedroom usage. However..the JSX probably blows the HT-5 away tone and build quality-wise.

Well, it's the age old story of tone vs. volume.. You can't expect a 120w all tube amp to sound good at bedroom levels. Well, no, I stated that wrong. It will sound awesome at bedroom levels, but it really shines when its cranked.

Now, the HT-5, being only 5 watts, is absolutely perfect for myself, being a hobby bedroom player. And I find the tone to be amazing. But yes, you're correct. The tone could never compare to the JSX. But hey, the HT-5 is also only running on a single tube in the pre and power sections.

It's really up to you. For solely bedroom playing, I would suggest the HT-5. With the extra $, buy pedals/whatever along with your guitar.

If you ever plan on gigging, or whatever, maybe you could go for the JSX? But, I don't know..
Amp: Peavey Vypyr. 30W or higher, with Sanpera II. USD600.
Good for teh cheap br00tz
If you are going to gig, get the Tube 60 version. 60W of tube power is enough for hearing damage, forget the crazy 120W JSX's mentioned earlier.
Guitar: ESP/LTD MG=1000NT
Mahogany body, SD 59/JB combo, hardtail.
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe_mh.html

EDIT: @ Everyone else: Guy also needs to buy a decent guitar. IMO for USD600-800 you can get great deals. Leave at least USD800 for a guitar that can do the amp justice.

You could also look at a Bugera 6262 (6505+ copy) or the 333XL (JSX copy).
I doubt you will get a new JSX for less than USD1.2K at the very least....
And you arent going to gig, so 120W is pretty much useless. Even 0.5 will make the building shake.
I say the Vypyr is your best bet. 60W is enough for gigging, while low enough to tame in the bedroom(just about).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a2HtWDG0vw
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Oct 3, 2010,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Amp: Peavey Vypyr. 30W or higher, with Sanpera II. USD600.
Good for teh cheap br00tz
If you are going to gig, get the Tube 60 version. 60W of tube power is enough for hearing damage, forget the crazy 120W JSX's mentioned earlier.
Guitar: ESP/LTD MG=1000NT
Mahogany body, SD 59/JB combo, hardtail.
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe_mh.html

EDIT: @ Everyone else: Guy also needs to buy a decent guitar. IMO for USD600-800 you can get great deals. Leave at least USD800 for a guitar that can do the amp justice.

You could also look at a Bugera 6262 (6505+ copy) or the 333XL (JSX copy).
I doubt you will get a new JSX for less than USD1.2K at the very least....
And you arent going to gig, so 120W is pretty much useless. Even 0.5 will make the building shake.
I say the Vypyr is your best bet. 60W is enough for gigging, while low enough to tame in the bedroom(just about).

I can't stand the SS Vypyrs. I don't know why. The Tube 60 sounds fine, and the JSX can be brought down to 60 watts, has 2 12 inch speakers, and is about the same size.

Also..why would I get a 6262 when I can just get a 6505+.....?
And the JSX link had one for $950 ish.
Last edited by Aturaya at Oct 3, 2010,
You seem to already be set on the HT-5.

I'd get a Strat. Brilliant all round guitars. However, if you're deadset on metal, I would check out some higher end LTD models: http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-H-1001FM-Electric-Guitar-584484-i1503610.gc
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by seemeel
You seem to already be set on the HT-5.

I'd get a Strat. Brilliant all round guitars. However, if you're deadset on metal, I would check out some higher end LTD models: http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-Deluxe-H-1001FM-Electric-Guitar-584484-i1503610.gc

I wouldn't get a Strat unless it had some nicer pickups for me, and come on! They don't look br00tal!

I'm not too fond of the Strat necks, anyways.

And yes, the HT-5 seems like the best option for me.
br00tal. Right. A guitar sucks because it doesn't look br00tal. Why didn't I know that?

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Quote by Aturaya
I can't stand the SS Vypyrs. I don't know why. The Tube 60 sounds fine, and the JSX can be brought down to 60 watts, has 2 12 inch speakers, and is about the same size.

Also..why would I get a 6262 when I can just get a 6505+.....?
And the JSX link had one for $950 ish.

Cause he needs to get a good guitar to do that amp justice. The Bugera will give him another 350 greenbacks to blow on guitar.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Oct 3, 2010,
Quote by seemeel
br00tal. Right. A guitar sucks because it doesn't look br00tal. Why didn't I know that?

I was kidding. I'd have to throw different pickups in a strat to get my metal, which is my dominant genre. And I don't like the necks.
I'm pretty sure he didn't say strats suck because because they don't "Look br00talz", but alright.

Anyways. Yeah dude, just go for the HT-5. I'm almost sure you'll like it. But like I said before, you'll probably want a boost. If you don't wanna spend much, the Bad Monkey is awesome. Most people use the typical TS-9, Maxon OD808, or the TS808 though. But they're too expensive for me. An EQ pedal helps it a lot too.
Yes, that's exactly what he said. The Strat is a "brilliant all round guitar" but it's the last thing anyone should be playing if they want a metal guitar first and foremost. Jack of all trades, master of none as they say.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Hence my suggestion of the LTD H-1001 or whatever it was. Comes with the good old 81/85 combo. That's fairly metal.

LTD H-1001 for your guitar, as above has mentioned, awesome little thing that can do it all. i seriously recommend checking this axe out

as for amps, id be looking into blackstar amps. They are rally making some amazing stuff for good money and very good quality.
THe axe effects is your best option if you play everything, then stick a 2x12, or 4x12 underneath it and rock, your the LTD H-1001 would then suit you perfectly
Quote by kirky boy
THe axe effects is your best option if you play everything, then stick a 2x12, or 4x12 underneath it and rock, your the LTD H-1001 would then suit you perfectly

did you look at his budget at all??

he won't be able to get all of that for under $2k unless he find some uber deals on the used market.

go with the JSX and then either the H-1001 or Jackson, personally i don;t like Jackson's at all but try both the guitars out and see which one is best for you
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.