I intend to junk my MG soon......looking for a loud amp that can keep up with a drummer. Not interested in amp overdrive, only the quality of the clean channel. It should resist distortion well, and amp models should sound more or less accurate. Thinking of the Marshall Haze 40 combo- its the only tube amp in my budget with that sort of power, excluding the Bugera's which arent available in my area.
Also, is Kustom any good? They are selling this 100W SS amp for a little over USD180.....havent got a chance to try it out, but anyone here has any experience?
Is a 15W tube head loud enough for band use in half stack form?
I can't answer your other questions, sorry, but 15 watt valve is loud enough in a band. I used to use my Laney LC15 (tiny valve combo) with my band, and there was still plenty of clean headroom.
Also, my drummer can get ****in' loud.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I can't answer your other questions, sorry, but 15 watt valve is loud enough in a band. I used to use my Laney LC15 (tiny valve combo) with my band, and there was still plenty of clean headroom.
Also, my drummer can get ****in' loud.

In that case, I'll go for the 40W combo. Its the same price here as the 15W half stack.
EDIT: my MG needs to be cranked to what? 8 to be heard over the drummer, and eevn then its jsut barely distinguishable. Cleans? Forget it.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Oct 3, 2010,
15 watts tube can stay clean provided the drummer is band conscience.

what kind of music?

what is the 15 watt tube head?

a 4x12 will move more air and disperse it wider, so what volume you have will extend over a larger area. if you can't mic it.

haven't tried the custom SS sorry.
Quote by gregs1020
15 watts tube can stay clean provided the drummer is band conscience.

what kind of music?

what is the 15 watt tube head?

a 4x12 will move more air and disperse it wider, so what volume you have will extend over a larger area. if you can't mic it.

haven't tried the custom SS sorry.

im pretty sure he means the 15w haze head
Quote by philipk
im pretty sure he means the 15w haze head

Yeah. The 40W combo is ~USD50 more than the 15W half stack.

I also meant this company. THe've got this cheap 200 dollar 100W ss.
http://www.kustom.com/

I play metal. All sorts, mostly prog.
I wont be using the amps OD channel. All effects from pedal, in from before the amp. Will only use the clean channel. I want it to stay clean at high volume, and I want amp models from my pedal to sound more or less accurate.
oh ok, well a head on a 1x12 isn't what i consider a halfstack honestly.

i would hold out a bit for something else down the road.

yes, a 40 watt haze should stay clean over most drummers. your metal drummer? only a test can tell for sure. cleans are a matter of taste and alot of things contribute, active pups, pick attack, etc.

i'd crank it up in the store to about 6/10 and see what it sounds like.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
If you're not using the amp's distortion, and want to have brilliant cleans still, I'd say a Roland Jazz Chorus would suit you well. They're known for having AMAZING cleans, and since it's solid state you'd have tons of headroom. Also, they are known for taking pedals extremely well.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Quote by Unskathed
If you're not using the amp's distortion, and want to have brilliant cleans still, I'd say a Roland Jazz Chorus would suit you well. They're known for having AMAZING cleans, and since it's solid state you'd have tons of headroom. Also, they are known for taking pedals extremely well.

Jazz Chorus? Wattage? Price?
EDIT: NVM. Here the 120W stereo version is USD1200 :'(
maybe find a JC60 off ebay?

or an ampeg vh140c? another great ss options.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
In that case, I'll go for the 40W combo. Its the same price here as the 15W half stack.
EDIT: my MG needs to be cranked to what? 8 to be heard over the drummer, and eevn then its jsut barely distinguishable. Cleans? Forget it.

Keep in mind that a 15 watt tube amp will sound louder than a 15 watt solid state amp (especially miked). It might not be quite as clean as you like for louder music and and loud drummer though. How is the used or online market where you are located?
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
Keep in mind that a 15 watt tube amp will sound louder than a 15 watt solid state amp (especially miked). It might not be quite as clean as you like for louder music and and loud drummer though. How is the used or online market where you are located?

Non existent.
Besides, dad wont buy used.
What about the 40W 112 combo?