Hi there guys, I just brought an ENGL thunder 50 head today ! However, now I need to get a cab! I want a 4x12, and I'd like to get one that would do the amp justice, having said that, I'm only 17 so money isn't flowing from every which way, so can someone give me any suggestions. Also stuff like what makes a good cab good and what to look out for when finding a decent cab, all that stuff is muchly appreciated.
Apparrently the Jet City Convertible cab is good for the money (UD$299 I think). It can change from open back, to closed back, and has eminence speakers. Worth a look I think.
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Quote by richyt93
Apparrently the Jet City Convertible cab is good for the money (UD$299 I think). It can change from open back, to closed back, and has eminence speakers. Worth a look I think.

Cheers man, although the closest distributor is a couple of thousand kms away from me (I live in Brisbane, Australia, probably should've mentioned this before). I remember seeing them at the Brisabaneinternational guitar show, but I didn't try them out.
Marshall cabs are probably the cheapest cabs you'll get here (aside from Ashton.....hmmm naaaah) especially since Cabs are amazingly expensive to ship. Some retailers might do free shipping but I wouldn't count on it.

Have you considered building your own?

If not, look for a used Marshall 1960A on the 'bay, I saw one recently in Victoria for 600 bucks. Blackstar Cabs are also pretty cheap here. Fivestarmusic is pretty good I've found, especially since they have free shipping. Check them out.
Any particular reason you NEED a 4x12?

I only ask because gear seems to be harder to come by AND more expensive over there in Australia. You can get great results with a closed back 2x12 and your 7-strings.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
When i got my first halfstack i went the cheap option (which was suprisingly good) i bought a Laney TF700 from eBay for £127 and a discontinued Marshall 8412 cab for £85. I'd do this then upgrade. i'm planning to get a Marshall 1960A cab then when i have the cash a early 80's JCM 800 2203.
Quote by DrNick
Any particular reason you NEED a 4x12?

I only ask because gear seems to be harder to come by AND more expensive over there in Australia. You can get great results with a closed back 2x12 and your 7-strings.

The reason being that If I want to upgrade my rig in the coming years, I won't have to fork out more money on a better cab, I can just get a better head, then I'm set to go. Plus I'd like to have a nice depth to my sound, something which I've found a 4x12 offers over your average 2x12. Also, and this is a minor issue, but I like the height that gives my amp, for both practicality (can dial in my tone standing up) and aesthetics. However, I'm open minded to the possibility, is there any you could reccomend? Cheers
Quote by Dan_5893
Marshall cabs are probably the cheapest cabs you'll get here (aside from Ashton.....hmmm naaaah) especially since Cabs are amazingly expensive to ship. Some retailers might do free shipping but I wouldn't count on it.

Have you considered building your own?

If not, look for a used Marshall 1960A on the 'bay, I saw one recently in Victoria for 600 bucks. Blackstar Cabs are also pretty cheap here. Fivestarmusic is pretty good I've found, especially since they have free shipping. Check them out.

Brilliant man, I'll check it out.
Quote by RockGuitarist09
When i got my first halfstack i went the cheap option (which was suprisingly good) i bought a Laney TF700 from eBay for £127 and a discontinued Marshall 8412 cab for £85. I'd do this then upgrade. i'm planning to get a Marshall 1960A cab then when i have the cash a early 80's JCM 800 2203.

Hmmmm, looking up some marshalls now. I don't want the cheap option because of what I mentioned before, I'd rather get a half decent 2x12 if i were to do that. 1960A is looking pretty tempting.

But as I said before, are different cabs suited to different styles of music? Like would an ENGL or Mesa/Boogie cab be more suitable for metal? Cheers for all this help guys
I would look into building your own. You can save a lot of money this way, and its fun building it. You make a 2x12 for really cheap. And it will be a very good cab it you do it right.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
any cabs with v30s might be more suited for metal but they might be massively more expensive to get hold of in australia
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall JCM 800 1960 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

www.myspace.com/oceansatealaska
As you've probably worked out, Mesa cabs in Australia are hideously overpriced, that's why everybody you see uses Marshall over here. The Laneys have pretty crappy speakers. The cab you want is a Marshall 1960AV or 1960BV (those have the V30's) but they can be difficult to find. A standard 1960A or 1960B would do the job too.
Funny how people recommend things that are either unavailable or overpriced huh? Americans tend to think the entire world is just an extension of the US.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

Total cost delivered to Australia: $335AUD

I've recommended these cabs a lot, but now I actually own one! They're VERY impressive for the price, simple, well-built and solid tone.

To throw it into perspective the under-sized, cardboard, crap-sounding Marshall MG412 costs over $100 more brand new in Australia, and they're about as bad as guitar cabs can get.
Hmmmmm, that Harley Benton cab does seem very nice for a 2x12, and its cheap as all hell. It seems a little too good to be true, and has me awfully suspicious. Also though, after next paycheck, I shall have enough to buy a Marshall1960AV.

So... now I decide how valuable my money is to me. As that decides it really.

Also, what are Marshall Vintage Modern 4x12s like? Because I can pick one up (new) for a modest 699AUD