Clive Jevons just made these new videos in which he is installing the new dark flamed maple textured hufschmid pickups into his blackmachine 8...

unpacking the pickups
installing the pickups

the making of the master templates for the cast:

pics from: guitar world

and I also found this thread on PROJECT GUITAR

EDIT 03.11.2010

For those of you who are interested, Clive Jevons just released this new video, enjoy

Blackmachine vs Hufschmid (part 1)

Also another player, Doug Cartwright just made this video, man the clean sounds!

Doug Cartwright 8 string hufschmid

and the final result after the epoxy cast

Last edited by 8stringlover at Nov 3, 2010,
That's quite amazing.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
I wish they weren't dyed black. If they were natural they'd look amazing.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by loonyguitarist
I wish they weren't dyed black. If they were natural they'd look amazing.

They are not dyed black , its a cast, the pickups are not wood......
Lol, didn't see the epoxy thing and assumed

I just think that this would look amazing as a pickup cover:

Quote by 8stringlover

Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
we... are not... worthy!
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by loonyguitarist
Lol, didn't see the epoxy thing and assumed

I just think that this would look amazing as a pickup cover:

It would look sick I agree but financially it would be impossible to have a CNC cut out every single covers one by one for every order, just imagine the price to have such a machine run every single time... + I assume that the pickups would have to be built traditionally and the wood would simply become the cover so it would be much less interesting then a cast IMO

Patrick did mention this over at project guitar in this thread:

8 string pickups

dude, you did not read my first post its not covers, I was sure this was going to come up this is why I intentionally posted a link to ''casting '' Making covers out of wood directly out from the CNC for 2 pickups... you are probably looking at 1300USD for a set of pickups lol
Last edited by 8stringlover at Oct 3, 2010,
Yeah, wouldn't be easy and the cast is cool, I'm certainly not doubting that. I mean, from glancing at the photo I actually thought it was wood!

I'm sure you could do a big batch of wood covers with a CNC machine though and the cost wouldn't be that high?

Anyway, the pickups sound nice form the video. I usually don't like the sound of 8-strings, but I liked what I heard when he briefly used the 8th string.
Quote by Liberation
Quote by loonyguitarist
Yeah, wouldn't be easy and the cast is cool, I'm certainly not doubting that. I mean, from glancing at the photo I actually thought it was wood!

I'm sure you could do a big batch of wood covers with a CNC machine though and the cost wouldn't be that high?

Anyway, the pickups sound nice form the video. I usually don't like the sound of 8-strings, but I liked what I heard when he briefly used the 8th string.

I have no idea man, I am not Patrick and I have no idea how much it could coast to run a cnc, dont forget he is a little artisan building 13 guitars every year, no 600 every day.

Also IMO there is no point what so ever for wooden covers, these pickups are unique technically by the way they are built, these are not conventional pickups, therfore the construction methods are different.

cheers

BTW, this is an old technique, Kent Armstrong invented the wood finish for pickups 30 years ago when he was building the original Benedetto pickups:

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Electric+Pickups&NameProdHeader=Armstrong+Suspended+Archtop+Guitar+Pickup
Last edited by 8stringlover at Oct 3, 2010,
Yeah I have no idea how feasible it would be, I'm just drooling over it a bit for the aesthetics

I hope he puts up that comparison soon.
Quote by Liberation