So, recently I've tuned my guitar down to F# standard or something like that, decided i didn't like it so I tuned up to Ab standard, and now I'm back down to F standard (i think). I was playing last night, and couldn't eq my amp to get it to sound good. After a while, I realised it wasn't my inability to EQ, but rather my amp's inability to get those low frequencies.
So, I need a new amp.

For a while I've been saving up for a Blackstar HT-20 combo, don't know how well that would do at really down-tuned stuff though.

My budget is probably something like £400-500. Not really a whole lot. I also need it for home use, as I never gig and I rarely jam with people (And no one I jam with is ever going to be tuned this low. :P )
I'm currently using the older Vox AD-15VT. And really, it's just not good enough. Besides not giving low frequencies, it always sounds sterile and never natural.
I'm getting into music like Earth and early Pelican, to give you an idea of the sound I'm looking for.

Help?
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
the guitarist in my band uses an 8-string guitar (which is tuned as low as F) and he has the blackstar mini stack and it handles it just fine. it sounds fine through my valveking and old crate amp too.

it could be your pickups just not being able to reproduce that low of a sound cleanly. i've had that problem with a few guitars. ended up just getting a seven string and tuning that down when needed
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
If you get a bass amp, then you lose the ability to make proper use of your upper frets on the upper strings. Or maybe you don't care about that, and just want to chug.

I would suggest trying out a boost pedal to tighten up the bass, or maybe an EQ pedal, because traditionally on board EQs aren't that great compared to dedicated units. This might help, and save you buying a new amp.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by mrsixstrings12
the guitarist in my band uses an 8-string guitar (which is tuned as low as F) and he has the blackstar mini stack and it handles it just fine. it sounds fine through my valveking and old crate amp too.

it could be your pickups just not being able to reproduce that low of a sound cleanly. i've had that problem with a few guitars. ended up just getting a seven string and tuning that down when needed

Pickups aren't the problem. Ceramic magnet in the bridge and an AlNiCo V in the neck, they should be able to get a good low sound.
Quote by seemeel
If you get a bass amp, then you lose the ability to make proper use of your upper frets on the upper strings. Or maybe you don't care about that, and just want to chug.

I would suggest trying out a boost pedal to tighten up the bass, or maybe an EQ pedal, because traditionally on board EQs aren't that great compared to dedicated units. This might help, and save you buying a new amp.

This doesn't seem like a bad idea actually. Any idea on which pedals to look at?
it's all coming back

Why in god's name do you need to play in F standard???
Is Bb not enough for you people?!
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
Quote by Dannnn_xD
Why in god's name do you need to play in F standard???
Is Bb not enough for you people?!

This!

Quote by Baby Joel
This doesn't seem like a bad idea actually. Any idea on which pedals to look at?

There are plenty of options. The Boss GE-7 pedal is a well loved and oft-modded pedal that is used by professionals. As for a boost, you might like to consider the EHX Metal Muff pedal. There are heaps to choose from though.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Quote by seemeel
This!

I think the tone is better. It's much more resonant to me, and I can 'feel' the notes a lot more, if that makes sense.

There are plenty of options. The Boss GE-7 pedal is a well loved and oft-modded pedal that is used by professionals. As for a boost, you might like to consider the EHX Metal Muff pedal. There are heaps to choose from though.

Thanks, I'll check those out!
it's all coming back

oooooh gosh
the ge-7 is actually pretty bleh, I tried it out because I was hesitating between it and the mxr 10 band, and the Boss got noisy and made my tone really blend and lifeless
go MXR for that one

and the metal muff isn't even close to a boost, a boost pedal would be either a clean boost like an EHX LPB-1 or an MXR Micro-amp or an overdrive pedal like a tubescreamer (maxon/ibanez) or the boss SD-1 or BD-2 or stuff like that, though Boss's distortion/drive boxes are pretty bleh
Quote by Darkflame
and the metal muff isn't even close to a boost

Correct. However, for the purposes of tightening up the bottom end for the TS, it's what you'd use, rather than a traditional transparent boost.