My friend who's going to be singing in our new band is gonna order a new PA for $300 or under and I'm wondering what PA do you guys think is the best? It's gonna be used mainly for practice with the band and maybe small partys but we definitely need one that can be heard clearly over the drummer. We need the whole bundle, speakers, cables, and a mixer.

Was looking at this:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Phonic-Powerpod-820-S710-PA-Package-?sku=502577

would that do the job?
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
The specs of the pack seem to be pretty good. Looks fine to me. If you set that up right, you'd have no trouble hearing the singer. If you set it up poorly, you may as well have rolled the $300 up and smoked it. Sound-deadening the walls of your rehearsal space, or at least around the drum kit, really does help to stop reflections that make the drums seem unbearably loud.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
$300 won't get you very far. However, it will get you something like this:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Phonic-Powerpod-820-S710-PA-Package-?sku=502577

Edit: LOL. Totally missed the link on your post. Looks like we saw the same thing. It's a 200 watt PA. For small gigs and practice, it might do the job.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Oct 3, 2010,
Quote by KG6_Steven
$300 won't get you very far. However, it will get you something like this:

Um... he already linked that!

EDIT: and you spotted your mistake.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

A 200W is not going to go well.
How loud are you? We run a 600W into 2 8Ohm speakers which brings it down to 190W a channel and we can't ever heard a thing, even if we turn everything down it can't be heard over the drums.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Just got the drummer and still looking for a bassist so I have no idea how loud we will be. The singers budget is $300 so kind of limited on that. I mean it's just mainly for practice because if we get any reputable gigs in the future, they will most likely have a decent PA. We just need practice to sound good.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
If you set it up right, you can get the results. Put carpet or foam on the walls! That is a very cheap way to increase the performance of your PA system.

Wow, now we've ran into a big roadblock. The final piece of the band, a bassist, msg'd me today interested and it turns out the singer told me he can't get a PA anymore. His birthday was 2weeks ago and his parents promised to buy him a $300 PA set and he's taking vocal lessons too. We decided to do a little more research before ordering a certain one, but now his parents told him that they don't want to get him a PA because he'll be going to college in a year and they think its too big and won't be of use or something along the lines. He has a big electronic drum set that they got him a year ago and I understand that he already has it but honestly wouldn't a big drumkit be more of a pain in college than a PA?

If you have any tips on how to convince them, that would rock. Otherwise I might have to find a new singer with a PA Any other tips?
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Peavey Vypyr 15w
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
On a budget Carvin makes some killer PAs at a good price - check out their website or catalog.

Can't help you with your singer/college problem though =/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Gibson Les Paul Studio - Gem Series
-ESP Eclipse II Standard
-ESP Horizon FR II Standard
-Marshall TSL 602
-Peavey 6505+
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifer Cab
This is a Hiwatt PA100.Designed as all rounders,they are great for guitar,bass and vocals.Marshall,Laney,Carlsbro etc make equivelent 100 valve PA valve amps.You can pick them up cheap over here,UK,around £150-£200.This is as loud as my ex Marshall Super Lead and DR103.They have amaster volume ,so pratice at home is not a problem.Maybe you could all chip in and buy one between you.