Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, i'm out for a new amp.
So i've come down to these three and need your help in deciding between these three ONLY:
1. Carvin V3 head.
2. Bugera Trirec
3. Bugera Magician

What i need is:
1. Maximum versatility - all these amps have various modes and channels and switches.
2. The amp needs to be capable of all-out brutal wall of gain.
3. The cleans need to be really really nice too.

This is because i won't be able to afford another amp for a long long time, so i need the versatility.

My budget is 600-900.
And i am NOT looking for a 6505/5150, or a JSX at all.
And i'm not interested in buying used.

All i want is your opinions and experience on the amps i listed.

Thank you.
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Do yourself a huge favor and avoid the Bugera headache. Bugera amps are well-known for losing the magical smoke and failing. Their quality control is terrible. It's non-existant. Buy the Carvin.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Do yourself a huge favor and avoid the Bugera headache. Bugera amps are well-known for losing the magical smoke and failing. Their quality control is terrible. It's non-existant. Buy the Carvin.

From what I have heard, the problems were only with the first batch and have been ironed out since.

EDIT: I dont know about the magician, but from what I have heard the Tri Rec is a Dual Recto copy.
Have you considered the Vypyr Tube 120 2x12?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Oct 3, 2010,
Quote by KG6_Steven
2/10, outdated, blatantly not true, was probably molested by Uli Behringer and is now butthurt.

Happy owner of a 333 for over a year now. Working perfectly, haven't even had to use the three year warranty.

The Carvin's distortion is probly not what you're looking for.
That said, we don't know how the Magician and TriRec sound yet. They'll probably sound similar to what they rip off, but I'd wait a while to see for sure. There may be some infancy problems as well, so either way it's a good idea to wait.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Dude, those Bugeras are not even out yet in most places.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
2/10, outdated, blatantly not true, was probably molested by Uli Behringer and is now butthurt.

Happy owner of a 333 for over a year now. Working perfectly, haven't even had to use the three year warranty.

The Carvin's distortion is probly not what you're looking for.
That said, we don't know how the Magician and TriRec sound yet. They'll probably sound similar to what they rip off, but I'd wait a while to see for sure. There may be some infancy problems as well, so either way it's a good idea to wait.

I know the Tri Rec rips off the Dual Recto....what does the Magician rip off?
Quote by Ravenfaust
So i wait till christmas?

I noticed you are running a satchurator through an MG....
MY BRO!!!
EDIT: I was right. I noticed you wrote "processor" beside the Zoom G2......thought you'd be Indian. You were.
I AM AWESOME! :P
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Oct 3, 2010,
I've played the Carvin v3 a few times and i was totally impressed with it. It has a good all around sound....you can get very good metal distortion out of it as well....And it is also AMERICAN MADE vs the china made bugera...... I highly recommend the Carvin
Gear:
Fernandes Revolver Elite
Schecter C1 Exotic
Schecter C1 Classic
Peavey JSX head
Hartke 4x12 cab
Boss GT-8
BBE 362 Sonic maximizer
Quote by GS LEAD 5

The Mark series
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by machineslave
I've played the Carvin v3 a few times and i was totally impressed with it. It has a good all around sound....you can get very good metal distortion out of it as well....And it is also AMERICAN MADE vs the china made bugera...... I highly recommend the Carvin

Made in USA =/= better than made in China.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
I noticed you are running a satchurator through an MG....
MY BRO!!!
EDIT: I was right. I noticed you wrote "processor" beside the Zoom G2......thought you'd be Indian. You were.
I AM AWESOME! :P

Heh. I'm adding you. :P
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Step 1: Order a Carvin V3
Step 2: Spend a few hours with it each day, constantly tweaking the knobs and settings
Step 3: If you don't like it after a week, send it back using Carvin's 10 day 100% refund system.
Step 4: Try some Bugeras.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

the two Bugera's that you listed aren't available yet so no one can say how they sound yet. however i would say that unless you find a Carvin V3 used you won't be able to try one out properly before you buy it (i think correct me if im wrong)

The Magician is based off of a Mesa Mark 4 and the Tri-Rec off a Mesa Dual Rectifier so if you want any basis of what they are trying to make them sound like then look up those amps.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by Unskathed
Step 1: Order a Carvin V3
Step 2: Spend a few hours with it each day, constantly tweaking the knobs and settings
Step 3: If you don't like it after a week, send it back using Carvin's 10 day 100% refund system.
Step 4: Try some Bugeras.
+1

That sounds like a good plan.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by shredftw
the two Bugera's that you listed aren't available yet so no one can say how they sound yet. however i would say that unless you find a Carvin V3 used you won't be able to try one out properly before you buy it (i think correct me if im wrong)

Carvin has a refund system. If you buy from the website, you get 10 days to try the product. If you don't like it, send it back and they refund your money 100%. Pretty sure you have to cover shipping it back though.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Quote by Unskathed
Carvin has a refund system. If you buy from the website, you get 10 days to try the product. If you don't like it, send it back and they refund your money 100%. Pretty sure you have to cover shipping it back though.

10 days may be hard seeing as he's in India, i'd look into it tho. they may have different perameters for overseas clients
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
10 days may be hard seeing as he's in India, i'd look into it tho. they may have different perameters for overseas clients

Thanks a lot.
It's really hard to get any sort of choice of amps in india.
Even the few we DO get here are 30-60% more expensive.
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
I'm sorry. My original assessment of Bugera stands. They're an offshoot of Behringer. There's just too many problems with both of them for me to recommend either. You might buy one of their products and it may last fine for years. Or, you may buy one and have nothing but problems from the start until you toss it in the trash. Why gamble? Buy something with a solid reputation behind it. If you want a Mesa clone, buy a Mesa. I did.
Quote by KG6_Steven
I'm sorry. My original assessment of Bugera stands. They're an offshoot of Behringer. There's just too many problems with both of them for me to recommend either. You might buy one of their products and it may last fine for years. Or, you may buy one and have nothing but problems from the start until you toss it in the trash. Why gamble? Buy something with a solid reputation behind it. If you want a Mesa clone, buy a Mesa. I did.

Not everyone has the money to buy a mesa and warranty do exist.
Quote by VillainousLatin
Not everyone has the money to buy a mesa and warranty do exist.

You make a valid point. However, why buy a product from a company with known quality problems? Even if you have a warranty, what good is it if you have to return the item due to flaws? Buy something from a company with a decent reputation. Chances are, you won't need that warranty if you do that.

Edit: One last point to be made here. Do you buy an amp to play it, or constantly take it back for warranty repair? I buy gear to play it, not to worry about whether or not it's going to fail when I need it most. Sure, a Mesa amp costs more. There's a reason for that. Reliability.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Oct 3, 2010,
1. I cannot afford a Mesa.
2. I looked at other options from other 'known-quality' companies but none of them had the versatility that i needed within my budget/
3. I've noticed, a lot of complaints have been coming on this forum about Peavey.
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Quote by KG6_Steven

A Mesa single rec here will set you back USD5K.
I doubt even you are willing to spend so much.
I've never played it, but I've heard lots of great things from the V3.

In all honesty, going for a blind shot, it would be your best bet. Carvin makes quality things. I think the problem that most people have sound wise is with the Legacy, not the V3.

I'd go for it.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
I've never played it, but I've heard lots of great things from the V3.

In all honesty, going for a blind shot, it would be your best bet. Carvin makes quality things. I think the problem that most people have sound wise is with the Legacy, not the V3.

I'd go for it.

Weird....I rather liked the Legacy, espc with a TS9 in front.....very Amon Amarth-ish tone if you know what to do....
from experience the Legacy does Vai, and only Vai. saying that tho, Vai has epic tone.....

but yeah the Carvin is probs your best bet if you're buying blind here. but still check out the return policy for overseas buyers as i said before
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Quote by KG6_Steven
You make a valid point. However, why buy a product from a company with known quality problems? Even if you have a warranty, what good is it if you have to return the item due to flaws? Buy something from a company with a decent reputation. Chances are, you won't need that warranty if you do that.

Edit: One last point to be made here. Do you buy an amp to play it, or constantly take it back for warranty repair? I buy gear to play it, not to worry about whether or not it's going to fail when I need it most. Sure, a Mesa amp costs more. There's a reason for that. Reliability.

I can buy a Bugera and use it till it breaks down out of warranty and then replace it. And do this FIVE times. And that's the price of one Mesa.
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Quote by Ravenfaust
I can buy a Bugera and use it till it breaks down out of warranty and then replace it. And do this FIVE times. And that's the price of one Mesa.

10 if you factor in Indian prices.
EDIT: Now that you mention it.....where DO you get Bugera's in India, especially Calcutta?
Nowhere at all. All you get in India is a limited amount and limited variety of Laneys, Fenders, Orange(s), Peaveys, Marshalls, Randalls and EVERY LINE 6 model ever created. xD
Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Quote by Ravenfaust
Nowhere at all. All you get in India is a limited amount and limited variety of Laneys, Fenders, Orange(s), Peaveys, Marshalls, Randalls and EVERY LINE 6 model ever created. xD

I've found all of the above, except the Peaveys and the Randalls.
Why arent you willing to buy used? im sorry but its just stupid to throw the used option out of the window right away, you can end up with a great deal, i have seen dual recs as low as 900 bucks here, then again youre in india, but still look for some used deals
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by GS LEAD 5

TRI rec, DUAL recto........
:|
Page 1 of 2