What, in your opinion, is the best company that makes cheaper copies of other basses, like Squier, Epiphone etc. Maybe give an example of a particular model which is good.

By the best company I guess I mean the company that makes the best basses for the money.

Personally I would say Rockbass, especially the Vampyre. If only I could afford a real Warwick...

Anyways, your opinions?

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Squier probably

SX maybe
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Tokai make so pretty cool stuff.

probably better than epiphone. but not as good as gibson. or the real brand.
analouge effects FTW!!

If you think Kurt Cobain was murdered put this in your sig.
Tokai's are much better than fenders and gibsons. Nowadays those companies mass produce their guitars and the quality control is terrible. Id go with a tokai over a gibson any day.
The Squire Classic Players stuff is supposed to be very good value for money, but then I've never played one, so I can't say for sure.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Squier basses are awesome, Epiphones are (primarily) mediocre, and I've never really played copies beyond those.
Squier's are good once you get into the higher end ones (Vintage Modified, Classic Vibe series etc.), and the old MIJ and MIK Squier's are great. Rockbass does a good job, but doesn't deliver that distinctive Warwick sound.

The new Sterling by Musicman Ray's are pretty nice, and I don't know if you would count the SUB's as copies since they were basically stripped down Stingray's made in the MM factory in California.

EDIT: are we counting import models as copies? Because then we can throw in some higher end things like non-US made MTD's, import Zon's, Dingwall Combustion's, etc.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Oct 3, 2010,
Greco? They made some great copies, but stopped in the late 80's some time because of a cease and desist.

If only i had enough money to buy one of their Rick 4003s (or, a real 4003 )
well, i've got a stag MM Stingray copy, and the amount of people who have asked me to swap it for their high-end basses is amazing...

i wouldn't ever part with my baby though <3
My Band (As Faith Fades)

Quote by steven seagull
Elitist bollocks like this makes me want to vomit. You're so far up your own arse you could lick your own tonsils.
Quote by xGeekers
well, i've got a stag MM Stingray copy, and the amount of people who have asked me to swap it for their high-end basses is amazing...

i wouldn't ever part with my baby though <3

A Stagg... I'm skeptical of that.

Ibanez K5

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Bassist Rising
A Stagg... I'm skeptical of that.

if you werent so far away, i'd let you play it :P
My Band (As Faith Fades)

Quote by steven seagull
Elitist bollocks like this makes me want to vomit. You're so far up your own arse you could lick your own tonsils.
I wouldn't call Squier, Epiphone or Rockbass copies exactly.

Tokai and Anniversary are definitely copy brands and are definitely good. I suppose you could say G&L are copies of Fender (made by the same guy though...)
Vintage. They do some good stuff.
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
LTD makes good instruments.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Schecter has some very nice bass guitars for the price range they are in - http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...Bass?sku=513049

since when are schecter's copies? my feelings are hurt now. especially since that link is the 4 string version of my bass. sadface.
I would have to say Ibanez. They started out copying anything they can get their hands off, and finally becoming a successful company doing their own stuff.
Quote by Skeletomania
I would have to say Ibanez. They started out copying anything they can get their hands off, and finally becoming a successful company doing their own stuff.

This. "Lawsuit" era Ibanez' are the shit. Tokai are great too, well most of those MIJ copy brands are too. Then you get into the boutique copies; Lull, Shadowsky, Xotic...
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Interesting how many people say Tokai. I've played a few Thunderbird copies but I wasn't too impressed. They were better than Epiphone, but still sounded pretty bad even through an Orange Crush 50w.

Ibanez K5

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
I like OLP's quite a bit. I find them very attractive not because of the MM style, but because of the tone/price ratio.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
I haven't really had experience with the copies, but my friend has a Tokai acoustic that's 10-20 years old that's a really nice guitar, I just love the sound of it. They're definitely quality instruments.
I'm wondering what the criteria is to be a copy. Epiphone, Squier, and Rockbass are made by the exact same company as their higher-end big bros, so those can't really be called copies. They're just budget models. Now, things like lawsuit-era Ibby, Greco, Tokai, and so on, they seem more like what you'd call a copy. That having been said, the best copy I've ever played currently resides in my home, and she's a Sakai.
"We are, each of us, angels with but one wing, and only by embracing one another may we fly."- Luciano de Crescenzo

Makes you feel good inside, don't it?
OLP's had some pretty amazing bang for buck. Squiers are great too, my brother just bought a VM Jazz and it's beautiful and pretty much as comfortable as any bass I've played.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden