Alright, I'm a guitarist. But im looking to pick up bass to as a little something extra to do for fun, and maybe in a band if I can get pretty good at it. I'm selling my Schecter C-1 Hellraiser [for $450 in louisville in case anyones interested] and going out to get a decent bass/amp. I have a PA system i could run the bass through until I got a decent amp i guess. But what should i look for sound wise in bass guitars and amps? I'd be using it metal, and 80s hair band style music.
I am also a guitar player... so, I was anti squire as anyone could possibly be. BUT, I was on here quite a bit asking the exact same question as you. Bottom line I ended up buying a squire classic vibe jazz bass and am EXTREAMLY happy with it!! I also bought an acoustic b20 amp off musicans friend for 150 or 160 bucks. Bottom line I take guitar a little more seriously, but my bass set up is great for toying around with. Sounds great, very versitile, and didn't break the bank. I would consider looking into it if I were you.

PS. I AM NOT A BASS EXPERT. but I had a lot of people tell me epi basses are as crappy as they come. Just something to consider.
Last edited by jsspang at Oct 3, 2010,
Is your budget what you get from selling your Schecter?
-Number of strings?
-Would you want a beginner instrument or more of an intermediate thing?
-Almost any bass will do metal, the sound is just your preference.
-If in doubt Squier/Fender J will do anything.

Quote by Gyoung1991
I am a huge fan of the epiphone thunderbird, incredible bang for your buck.

Yeah.....no.

Quote by jsspang
I am also a guitar player... so, I was anti squire as anyone could possibly be. BUT, I was on here quite a bit asking the exact same question as you. Bottom line I ended up buying a squire classic vibe jazz bass and am EXTREAMLY happy with it!! I also bought an acoustic b20 amp off musicans friend for 150 or 160 bucks. Bottom line I take guitar a little more seriously, but my bass set up is great for toying around with. Sounds great, very versitile, and didn't break the bank. I would consider looking into it if I were you.

this is great advice
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
Is your budget what you get from selling your Schecter?
-Number of strings?
-Would you want a beginner instrument or more of an intermediate thing?
-Almost any bass will do metal, the sound is just your preference.
-If in doubt Squier/Fender J will do anything.

Yeah.....no.

this is great advice

Other than neckdive what is the problem with it? Nice tone and great playability.
Quote by Gyoung1991
Other than neckdive what is the problem with it? Nice tone and great playability.

I've had rant after rant about this... not again.

Read this: Only Thunderbird Thread
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Yeah my budget is only around $450 for everything now because i just finished the home studio. But i do like squire. i owned an old pbass i loved, but my buddy got all bored and messed up its intonation and somehow bowed the neck and i sold it years ago. I would prefer a 4 string bass i guess. Idk why i would need a 5 or 6 string.

for an amp, what about the top part of this ad?
http://louisville.craigslist.org/msg/1983720126.html

or this head?
http://louisville.craigslist.org/msg/1980622310.html
I'd go for thr hartke for simplicity's sake and because I know that it's a good amp, but the other setup looks pretty interesting. Can't say I know much about that preamp or poweramp though so more research may be needed.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

I agree with jsspang, I got the same amp and I absolutely love it. The Acoustic amps have the best features for the price, and they're high quality. I've played the epiphone thunderbirds too and I liked them. I've got and Ibanez SR though, pretty much any Ibanez from the SR series is going to be a very high quality bass for a relatively low price, and they look great, and start around $300
Basses to look at: Squier Vintage Modified/Classic Vibe series Precision and Jazz basses, Ibanez GSR200, Yamaha RBX170, Peavey Millennium BXP.

Amps to look at: Acoustic B20, Peavey MAX series, Kustom KB's or a used Kustom KBA10.

You can't go wrong pairing any of those basses with any of those amps, all are reasonably affordable. You can also find most of them used on ebay or craigslist if you want to save a few bucks as well.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
If you want versatility, go Squier/Fender, and if you go Squier, pick one from the Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe series. Those are AMAZING basses.

For your budget, I'd get a 20W amp. It's enough to toy around with and play at small gigs (very small).

I suggest
Acoustic B20 http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B20-1x12-Bass-Combo-Amplifier?sku=481622
Squier VM Jaguar http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jaguar-Bass?sku=430661
Quote by JacoVictorKing
If you want versatility, go Squier/Fender, and if you go Squier, pick one from the Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe series. Those are AMAZING basses.

For your budget, I'd get a 20W amp. It's enough to toy around with and play at small gigs (very small).

I suggest
Acoustic B20 http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B20-1x12-Bass-Combo-Amplifier?sku=481622
Squier VM Jaguar http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jaguar-Bass?sku=430661

20watt bass combo for a gig? In my first band years ago my bassist using a 20watt bass combo couldn't keep up in a jam with 2 15-30 watt guitar amps.

I recommend the hartke head you posted. Would be great with a decent cab. Also the squier classic vibe/ vintage modified series is great.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Last edited by Slanderous666 at Oct 4, 2010,
the Hartke head is a good deal, but generally its pretty hard to get a good bass and a decent gigging rig for $450. TS can always run through the PA until he saves more cash.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Squier Vintage Modified/Classic Vintage Basses or the Ibanez GSR/SR basses. Best starter basses. Do NOT get a Thunderbird.

Hartke and Acoustic make the best cheaper stuff, look at combos/cabs with 10" speakers if you're playing metal.