Page 1 of 2
im looking for a small tube guitar amp preferably 5w and under £200.

ive been looking at the vox actv range, the epi valve jr and things like the fender champ 600

what one would be good to go for?
i might run them through a 4 ohm bass cab if needs be so a 4 ohm ext speaker jack would be handy, but im looking for a nice clean tone and maybe a bit of drive?
not to fussed on it being a high gain amp - after all if i wanted more gain i could use a distortion pedal or booster..

what would you guys recomend?
analouge effects FTW!!

If you think Kurt Cobain was murdered put this in your sig.
There's a 4W Vox which is supposed to be quite good.

The Blackstar HT-5 is very popular.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Blackstars are a bit expensive for me.

i quite like the "Vox Ac4tv - 10" speaker combo"

but was just wondering if the champ and valve jr were any good as there much cheaper?
i know they lack certain features of the vox but still.
analouge effects FTW!!

what do you mean by drive?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the champ is a fun little amp. Wont get you gobs of tone and the 10" is a little to"directional" for my taste but its all around a good lil guy. lots of fun features to play around with and overall it puts out a decent sound.
Quote by Dave_Mc
what do you mean by drive?

overdrive, distortion, gain etc
analouge effects FTW!!

yeah i know, i mean what type of drive. most of the 5 watters (perhaps bar the blackstar ht5, which i haven't tried ) are very much aimed at vintage type tones... you can get distortion out of them, but it's loud (as most don't have master volumes) and very vintage in character... you're talking classic rock at the heaviest.

Granted you can run, say, a distortion pedal into it for heavier tones, but that's only really if you only occasionally need those type of tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jlangholzj
the champ is a fun little amp. Wont get you gobs of tone and the 10" is a little to"directional" for my taste.

isnt the champ a 6 inch speaker?

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71762
analouge effects FTW!!

Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i know, i mean what type of drive. most of the 5 watters (perhaps bar the blackstar ht5, which i haven't tried ) are very much aimed at vintage type tones...

yeah thats what i want really. but i was planning on using another pedal to boost it if it wasn't enough. not looking for tonnes of gain. but a nice bit of sustain would be nice.
analouge effects FTW!!

my only concern is, and bear in mind this might be BS, but in my experience, the single enders/5 watters don't take boosts all that well. I think i read somewhere that it was something to do with the design, once you hit the max amount of distortion it starts sounding very square and feels like you're hitting a brick wall.

of course, it might just be that at that volume it's really loud and my ears are playing tricks on me.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
my only concern is, and bear in mind this might be BS, but in my experience, the single enders/5 watters don't take boosts all that well. I think i read somewhere that it was something to do with the design, once you hit the max amount of distortion it starts sounding very square and feels like you're hitting a brick wall.

of course, it might just be that at that volume it's really loud and my ears are playing tricks on me.

ive been looking up demos and etc on youtube and they seem to take them okay? im not to fussed. the vox which is my current favorite has enough gain for me really but you know its not really switchable from clean to dirty with a foot switch. (not that that's really a big problem, but would be nice) i'd just like a nice little simple full tube amp for bedroom practice and maybe jam sessions?
analouge effects FTW!!

Quote by jammy827
isnt the champ a 6 inch speaker?

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71762

excuse me, i forgot the model i was looking at was a super champ

oops...lol, same information applies, only what i was talking about was a super champ.

if the champ is anything like the sooper, its still a good unit
yeah they take pedals fine if you run them into the amp with the amp turned down so it's not clipping itself. But that way you're getting most of the dirt from the pedals.

if the amp already has enough gain for you, it's not a problem of course.

the vox is probably worth looking at for bedroom practice as it has the inbuilt attenuator- i haven't tried it, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
How about a blackstar HT-1? It may be only 1W, but its in your price range

I tried out the champion 600, and tbh i wasnt overly impressed. It sounded REALLY nice clean, but i couldnt really get it overdriven. I was using a fender MIM strat straight into the 600. I wasnt able to turn it up enough to get overdrive, so it would probably need a pedal.
I've got the Vox AC4TV and I have to say I love the sound and with the attenuator it's great for bedroom practice. I tend not to play on the full 4w because it's too loud for normal house playing, however, I can't say whether it would be good enough to play with a drummer. It also breaks up nicely when you crank it up, obviously this can be controlled by using the attenuator (meaning that it breaks a lot earlier on the 1/4w than is does on the 1w etc).

and as an extra little something you get that lovely valve smell. It reminds me of my dad's old valve reel to reel tape recorder we use to play with when we were kids.

Thrench
Ibanez AS73
Squier Blonde Standard Telecaster
Home built Telecaster Deluxe
Vox AC4TV amp
Vox V845 Wah Wah
Marshall reverb
Korg Pandora PX4 multi effects
Digitech Death Metal distortion pedal

God is busy, save yourselves!!!
I have the Vox AC4TV and its a great amp, the clean is great and when you turn it up and get some tube break up it has a nice crunch tone. If I need any more I run my TS-9 through it and that usually gets enough. Although I am planning on getting one of these http://roselanemusic.com/epages/eshop111508.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop111508/Products/%22Crunch%20Box%22 to play through it aswell just as an extra option.

Long story short in my opinion I'd say go for the Vox.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i know, i mean what type of drive. most of the 5 watters (perhaps bar the blackstar ht5, which i haven't tried )

If you're interested in trying one there's a place in Belfast that does them. Might be a bit out of your way but if u end up in Belfast at some stage u should go to Music Matters which is near Queens (its where the Guitar Emporium used to be). Seems to be the only decent piece of gear in the place
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
thanks. I'll probably get down to try it at some point, but it's not as much fun as the guitar emporium was. Vigiers, Engls and MIJ Tokais or diode clipping shenanigans in an HT5... Hmmmm...

It's a pain that the one shop here that could even half compare to the good shops in England and Scotland had to shut...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Might stretch the cash, but an HT5 combo will blow you away. I got mine pristine on"that site"!! and swapped the speaker for a 10" Greenback. All-in just over £260.

I had a Champ 600 as my first tube amp, and although its looks are to die for, in just doesn't cut it (and the hum will drive you insane). Gather your cash...its a buyers market !!!!
hmm. im more aimed towards the vox. the 10 inch celestion speaker probably gives it the best sound. and it has a tone control. just shame bout 16ohm ext speaker : /
analouge effects FTW!!

just bear in mind the word "celestion" on it doesn't necessarily mean it's any good. There are cheap (read: rubbish) celestions just like any other speaker.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I was seriously looking at a Bugera V5. Brought my Metal Zone, (only distortion pedal I have), down to GC and checked it out. Sounded pretty damn good. Still thinking about grabbing one to record with.
Quote by maggotspawn
I was seriously looking at a Bugera V5. Brought my Metal Zone, (only distortion pedal I have), down to GC and checked it out. Sounded pretty damn good. Still thinking about grabbing one to record with.

Seriously, though, you put a Metal Zone into a tube amp? And not even a very good one at that? And you thought it sounded pretty damn good?
to be fair his judgement was probably clouded slightly by the euphoria that he didn't set himself on fire...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thats a point. the bugera v5. i have a 500w bugera bass amp.. cant get a good GUITAR sound out of it which is why im buying this small tube amp. but it has 4 ohm output. more control over amp with gain and tone and reverb? and still has attenuator. ach. stuck for choice.
analouge effects FTW!!

Quote by jammy827
thats a point. the bugera v5. i have a 500w bugera bass amp.. cant get a good GUITAR sound out of it which is why im buying this small tube amp. but it has 4 ohm output. more control over amp with gain and tone and reverb? and still has attenuator. ach. stuck for choice.

Could you stop talking like this guy?

Seriously, I can't even tell what you're trying to say because your sentences are so clipped.
Quote by Holy Katana

Seriously, though, you put a Metal Zone into a tube amp? And not even a very good one at that? And you thought it sounded pretty damn good?

Sounded pretty damn good for putting a fizzy distortion pedal into it. The V5 doesn't sound bad actually.
Quote by Holy Katana
Could you stop talking like this guy?

Seriously, I can't even tell what you're trying to say because your sentences are so clipped.

who is he?

well basicaly.

i already own a 4 x 10 cabinet at 4 ohms, and im stuck for choice between the vox ac4tv and the bugera v5.

bugera
pros

cons

Vox
      pros

Cons

or.
          bugera
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHXhLCDQpIw
          (recorded with camera mic :/ )

Vox
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6wcP6q71J8
          (mic'd up)
          analouge effects FTW!!

VJ sucks balls for metal. Nice for modding, though.
          Gear:
          - Bugera 333
          - VJ & VJ cab
          - Jackson JS30
          - TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
          ~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
          Thats Rorschach for future reference.

ANYWAY

Vox AC4TV takes pedals extremely well. However, the 10" speaker is a little bit boxy, but it is still very good for its size. I'd recommend getting the head and cabinet version (which should be the same price roughly). Sounds much fuller, and from what I've heard can hold its own over drums (which is always good)

I can't say anything about the other amps. I'd suggest maybe a marshall class 5? That might be a bit out of budget though.

So yeah, my vote goes to the Vox.
          Everyone seems to have missed the VHT Special 6 and Orange Tiny Terror. Both great amps. Maye the Zvex Nano is more your style?
          "If you're looking for me,
          you better check under the sea,
          because that's where you'll find me..."
          Quote by DeathByDestroyr
          Everyone seems to have missed the VHT Special 6 and Orange Tiny Terror. Both great amps. Maye the Zvex Nano is more your style?
          TT and Nano are overpriced.
          Gear:
          - Bugera 333
          - VJ & VJ cab
          - Jackson JS30
          - TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
          ~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
          Quote by Dave_Mc

I'd call BS. A boost in front of a Champ rocks. The little speaker is the only thing that lets them down. Push the input hard and run a decent 12" speaker and they scream. A boost is driving the preamp hard so having a S/E power section is immaterial.
          Gilchrist custom
          Yamaha SBG500
          Telecasters
          Randall RM100 & RM20
          Marshall JTM45 clone
          Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
          Marshall 18W clone
          Fender 5F1 Champ clone
          Atomic Amplifire
          Marshall 1960A
          Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
          My band
          the vox head with cabinet is about £300 and for that id wait and get a bugera v22. so its just combos really. hm
          analouge effects FTW!!

thats okay i guess but i want a combo so i can take it places easier if i need to. and i dont fancy lugging a 4x10 around too much
          analouge effects FTW!!

Or laney cub 10? its a 10 watt tube amp. 10 inch speaker. 4 tubes. a tone, volume and gain control? and can take a 8 or 4 ohm cab? and its only £170 sounds pretty sweet too
          analouge effects FTW!!

Quote by Cathbard
          I'd call BS. A boost in front of a Champ rocks. The little speaker is the only thing that lets them down. Push the input hard and run a decent 12" speaker and they scream. A boost is driving the preamp hard so having a S/E power section is immaterial.

maybe. or maybe it's that i was running it with the poweramp already in meltdown. I should try it at the edge of breakup and then hit it with a boost to slam the first preamp stage.

right?

EDIT: i didn't mean it didn't work, i meant it wouldn't really turn it into a metal machine, it's still going to have a vintage voicing. and brootz isn't really a vintage amp going into meltdown (even with a boost), it's cascading preamp gain stages.
          Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
          Et tu, br00tz?
          Yeah Dave, try it with the volume down a bit so you can discriminate between preamp and power amp distortion. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
          Gilchrist custom
          Yamaha SBG500
          Telecasters
          Randall RM100 & RM20
          Marshall JTM45 clone
          Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
          Marshall 18W clone
          Fender 5F1 Champ clone
          Atomic Amplifire
          Marshall 1960A
          Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification