Page 2 of 3
I don't know about war as a theme. I doubt anyone here actually knows anything about war - it could turn into something political or violence obsessive.

I think it's best if we write about something we all are aware of very well. That way the pieces will be realistic and heartfelt.
Instead of the quicky that I proposed I'd do now I think I'd rather redo a comp that I ran not long after I joined and it turned out pretty well.

It's the Clue (Cluedo for the non-N. Americanos) Comp based on the classic board game.

Basically I randomly give each participant their own set of clues (person, place, weapon) from the game and you have to write a murder mystery poem using those clues. The catch is that you can't directly mention the names of any of the three clues in your piece, but the reader should still be able to figure out the who, what and where.

I'd like some feedback on this though. First of all any interest? And does it sound too involved to run alongside the Autumn Comp? If not I'll get sign-ups started tomorrow, but if you think I should stick with a quicky for now then I can do that too.
It does sound rather complicated, and maybe people will simply ignore and go for the more standardized competitions, but I think it could be a lot of fun if it was done at the right time and in the right way.
I'd totally have won this if I'd known about it.but like, totally look at them anyway;
I hate you all.
have an ace day guizee.
OH AND MERRY NEW CHRISTMAS.
I'm gonna start a comp later tonight if it's cool with everyone.

Pretty simple concept. You pick a lyricist and then write something mimicking their style as best you can. When polls go up one songs lyrics written by the lyricist you choose will be posted with your piece so comparisons can be made. Two people can't choose the same lyricist so first come, first serve. I'd rather keep it to mimicking just lyricists and not poets.

We did this a long, long time ago and it turned out pretty cool if I remember.
i think that'll be cool. though i can see it : everyone picking elliott smith, jeff mangum, tom waits, conor oberst, etc. are we going to vote according to the similarity in style or just the overall quality or both? it'll be fun if someone did eminem or sth like that.

i remember the "mimic a regular" comp we had a while back, that was sort of cool too.
^Probably aim to tailor the votes to reflect both the quality of the piece and the quality of the mimic.

And I loved the mimic a reg comps too so once we start getting familiar with each other's styles again in the contest forum it would be cool to do one of those too.
I like the idea of mimic comp.

I'd probably pick someone like Adam Lazzara although I doubt I'll get many votes for that

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
album quicky comp - pop in an album of your choice, start your writing process, drop the pen when the needle/laser runs off, title it the name of the album (+ optional subtitle)

nothing too strict. easy to do. maybe get a couple heads involved while we figure out a big comp to run (mimic/drunk/other?)

opinions encouraged
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Yeah Mimic Comp is still on. I was without interwebz for quite a while. I'll get a sign-up thread up tonight though. A quicky right now couldn't hurt either, and I like Jimmy's idea for one.
i'm still generally new to this site, let alone forums, so i don't know if this idea has been taken. The comp idea is about the lyrics that best sets the mood of driving. Going 95 on an open highway gets the blood pumping as well as creative juices flowing. It doesn't have to be entirely about driving though. It just has to be good enough to sound like screeching tires and over worked engines could hum along. If driving doesn't work, you could use any type of adrenaline filled, serotonin dispenced, action you could do. Any and all crazy, ill concieved, bat shit thing you could think of. 9-12 people. No cap on length. It could be any style. This comp is for people with steel balls and fallopian tubes.
Last edited by VerniciousKinif at Jan 12, 2011,
I think the album comp would be pretty great.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
You could do a comp where everyone has to pick a genre, one per person; and from there, you have everyone write on the same topic. Whom ever has the most appealing -v.s- style encorporated lyrics wins. Still open for topic suggestion.
i just thought of this. not sure if its been said. but what about a comp where you have to follow a pattern. like

AABA, ABBA , ABCA , ABCC
Why are there no threads?
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
I'm putting up a quicky, go ahead and try to stop me. This place needs something to happen.

Also, I know there was a first piece project, but what about a first piece comp? The first round you post your first piece you ever posted on the main forum, second round you post your second piece, and so on.
Last edited by Ganoosh at May 21, 2011,
Quote by Ganoosh

Also, I know there was a first piece project, but what about a first piece comp? The first round you post your first piece you ever posted on the main forum, second round you post your second piece, and so on.

ohhhh, i think that would be really awesome. my first piece was a rap, beat that y'all.

btw, i'll put up a newbie comp next week when the month ends.
my first is extremely long and personal but it could be fun

also still down for the album competition
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
yo Ganooshy, are you going to run the first piece one? go ahead if you want to.

NOW Y'ALL: anyone down for a Super Seasonal Summer Competition? seasonals sometimes turn out to be cool, and it would be big, i think since anyone can enter.

if not many people are down, i'll be running a newbie comp. though either way, it would be cool to have more than one competition at the same time, so if anyone wants to run one of these or something, let me know!
Yes. In fact, I'll put it up right now.

I'd sign up for a seasonal comp.
Omegle comp.
Ask some random person on omegle for the topic for a song/poem, then you have to do a song based on whatever they say next, Ignoring all the horny wierdos of course.
I did that with my "I am vegetable" piece and it was pretty fun to write.
It's this insane website where they sets you up with a completely random person to webcam chat with. 90% of the time you get a guy with his dick out.
YEah THe text versions alot safer :P

Alternatives could be A random word generator, Or using a captcha thingy.
Make the theme for the comp a ridiculous rhyme scheme, like abcdcea or something. Could be interesting to watch everyone try to make these crazy rhymes.
'Owz about a comp about certain famous but neglected historical events, such as the 1618 Defenestration of Prague (not the 1419 one, that was shit) and others written in free verse, first-person? Failing that, everyone's allocated a provocative or evocative photograph and y'all have to write the finest poetry, prose, or lyrics about it. I haven't entered a comp in a while and I feel like winning.
i like historical one i'm not sure about the paragraph but it could turn out very well
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Quote by jiminizzle
i like historical one i'm not sure about the paragraph but it could turn out very well

Photograph. You might be a good writer but you're shit at reading.
Quote by Dæmönika
Photograph. You might be a good writer but you're shit at reading.

I concede!
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Sweet! So this means that you can have an entire, full-fledged, songwriting competition about songwriting, where the only topic permitted is vegetables?

Reminds me a lot of Weird Al Hankovic where he writes an entire song about his pancreas
both sound great. i'd be more inclined to a summer comp since there's a lot going on in my life right now. but i'd participate in either.