Page 2 of 5
Eric Clapton used a hybrid Music Man HD130 in the mid-'70s. It's a bit of a departure from most hybrids - the preamp was SS, the power was tube.
Quote by Flying Couch
Eric Clapton used a hybrid Music Man HD130 in the mid-'70s. It's a bit of a departure from most hybrids - the preamp was SS, the power was tube.

a number of other people also used hybrid music man amps, like Mark Knopfler, Chet Atkins, Johnny Winter, and Jeff Beck.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
im pretty sure michael romeo from symphony x uses pod's
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by gumbilicious
a number of other people also used hybrid music man amps, like Mark Knopfler, Chet Atkins, Johnny Winter, and Jeff Beck.

so did riffhog!

hey, he's infamous here, add his ass.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Should the AxeFX and Pods actually be considered an amp for inclusion on this list? It's a preamp of sorts so I guess technically speaking they do amplify the signal - but then so does a tubescreamer. They're effects units really, not amps.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
John Gallagher from Dying Fetus switched to Engl Invaders. However, he did use the Ampeg VH for most of his career.

Also, I think the Axe FX and POD should only count if that's the only thing the artist uses. For example, Periphery and Cynic both run ONLY the Axe Fx live now. They run it direct out to the PA.

Also, this might need to be backed up, but After The Burial is using Axe FX in the studio now.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Last edited by Unskathed at Oct 13, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard
Should the AxeFX and Pods actually be considered an amp for inclusion on this list? It's a preamp of sorts so I guess technically speaking they do amplify the signal - but then so does a tubescreamer. They're effects units really, not amps.

Good points. Not sure how to handle that.

I'll filter through the other posts tomorrow. Too tired now

Also, for those that don't know - I didn't just create this list on my own. It is mk III for a reason. This list has been out a while here on UG it just happens to now be in a thread that I can control/edit.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 13, 2010,
Quote by Unskathed
Also, I think the Axe FX and POD should only count if that's the only thing the artist uses. For example, Periphery and Cynic both run ONLY the Axe Fx live now. They run it direct out to the PA.

So does that make a bass player's DI box his amp? Guys that run an effects unit straight into the PA could be argued to be playing ampless. If I mike up my acoustic does that make the mic my amp?
Not knocking AxeFX or Pods mind you, they just aren't actually an amp are they?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
So does that make a bass player's DI box his amp? Guys that run an effects unit straight into the PA could be argued to be playing ampless. If I mike up my acoustic does that make the mic my amp?

I guess I see where you're coming from now.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Quote by Cathbard

Personally I'd divide the list, separating users of digital modellers from analog solid state users.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Andy Gill of Gang of Four used a Carlsbro Stingray back in the late '70s and '80s. I doubt he's still using solid-state now, though.

He could be, however, since he intentionally used solid-states to get a colder, more jagged sound on their old stuff.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Oct 13, 2010,
Quote by STABxYOU
Personally I'd divide the list, separating users of digital modellers from analog solid state users.

Good thinking McGoo.

And maybe break the modeller into amps like the Vetta and ampless modellers like the AxeFX.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 13, 2010,
Not sure if it's considered a hybrid or not but I read somewhere that Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top used JCM900's at one point.
The last video i saw of Five Finger Death Punch i saw Diamond heads in the background so i think they're still using tubes
Such is posting in Soviet Russia
Wow, real long list, awesome thread though. Might settle a little snobbery around here.

Alot of JCs and VH140's/copies.

Not suprising.

^Some whingey geeks say that because it has diodes to drive the dirty channel its hybrid. That just boils down to opinion though.
Last edited by beckyjc at Oct 13, 2010,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
AFAIK the JCM900 is all tube.

The JCM900 4100 is a tube amp with a great mess of opamps (15 altogether, 6 before V1) complete with clipping diodes (9 of them) with no way to bypass it all. It's as much a hybrid as a Valvestate but from the other end of the scale. Whereas a Valvestate is a SS amp with a single tube (two triodes), the JCM900 is a valve amp with 15 opamps and 9 diodes. People don't like to call their JCM900s hybrids but they are every bit as much a hybrid as a Valvestate, more so really.
Valvestate 8080 preamp
JCM900 4100 preamp

Most people stick their heads in the sand and call them valve amps so I don't object if they are left out of the list.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I would absolutely consider the JCM900 a hybrid. It only has one single tube gain stage in the entire preamp. The signal is predominantly manipulated by opamps--in fact, opamps are the very first amplifying devices that the signal sees when it enters the amp. Really, it may as well not have a tube in the preamp at all.
Quote by Cathbard
The JCM900 4100 is a tube amp with a great mess of opamps (15 altogether, 6 before V1) complete with clipping diodes (9 of them) with no way to bypass it all. It's as much a hybrid as a Valvestate but from the other end of the scale. Whereas a Valvestate is a SS amp with a single tube (two triodes), the JCM900 is a valve amp with 15 opamps and 9 diodes. People don't like to call their JCM900s hybrids but they are every bit as much a hybrid as a Valvestate, more so really.
Valvestate 8080 preamp
JCM900 4100 preamp

Most people stick their heads in the sand and call them valve amps so I don't object if they are left out of the list.

That diagram totally looks like something out of my physics book.....
So its a hybrid? (raises eyebrows)
And its still costs an arm and a leg.....lovely.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
That diagram totally looks like something out of my physics book.....

You've never seen a schematic before?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
not sure how to handle the Santana thing either. I mean he did crank out some memorable stuff on stage at woodstock whether they were his amps or not.

sure but it wasn't like he toured with his own SS rig for any period of time.

i mean, he put the "boogie" in mesa boogie.
no reason to poke at me - I know his connection to Mesa Engineering.

We didn't have this much discussion on these topics in the prior threads

I guess if it was not his choice to use SS amps during woodstock and would have much rather of used something else if given the choice then I'll remove him.

(personally I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this thread)
Quote by GS LEAD 5

The guitar signal is primarily amplified and clipped by solid state devices in the preamp. In terms of preamp signal path, tubes make up very little of it. There is only one tube in the preamp, and only half of that tube (a single triode) is utilized as a gain stage.

So it very much qualifies as a hybrid amp in my opinion at least.

Quote by GS LEAD 5

Not really, JCM900's can be had very cheap. And topology really doesn't need to dictate price. Tone should be the priority. There are a lot of solid state amps out there that sound great--which I think is one of the points made by this thread.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

We didn't have this much discussion on these topics in the prior threads

I guess if it was not his choice to use SS amps during woodstock and would have much rather of used something else if given the choice then I'll remove him.

(personally I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this thread)

Like I suggested, denote exceptions like Santana, Jimmy Page, etc. who only used SS for a short period, or one memorable concert, with a "*".

And the whole thing about the JCM900s being hybrid: Who really cares? If you like the sound of it, good for you. If you're going to turn your nose up at it now that you've learned that it has a good deal of SS parts, screw you for being a corksniffer.

If you never liked the sound of it regardless, then good on your for appreciating proper Marshall tone.

Thats not a personal attack on anyone, but it's just like the whole deal with the HT5. Everyone was sh*tting themeslves over how good the amp was, then someone bothered to research the circuit and determined it was basically a hybrid. Now we have bandwagoners in every HT5 thread spouting out that it's a hybrid. it's a cheap practice amp with decent tone. Personally, I think that's a little more important that whether or not it's hybrid ot tube.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Oct 13, 2010,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
That may appease everyone.

never gonna happen.

Quote by CECamps
The guitar signal is primarily amplified and clipped by solid state devices in the preamp. In terms of preamp signal path, tubes make up very little of it. There is only one tube in the preamp, and only half of that tube (a single triode) is utilized as a gain stage.

So it very much qualifies as a hybrid amp in my opinion at least.

Not really, JCM900's can be had very cheap. And topology really doesn't need to dictate price. Tone should be the priority. There are a lot of solid state amps out there that sound great--which I think is one of the points made by this thread.

The JC-120 here is near USD1200.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
The JC-120 here is near USD1200.

Yeah, I know. For one, those amps haven't been manufactured in ages. It's coveted for its cleans, so it's sought after and consequently supply and demand drives the price up.

You're paying more because of the aforementioned reasons, not because of its circuit topology.
I'm pretty sure Alex Skolnick uses a Mode 4.

EDIT: from Testament.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Last edited by FrustratedRocka at Oct 14, 2010,
^ List the BAND too if they are in a band.

^^ They may use JMPs and Diamonds. This is thread exists to point out certain artists that have used Solid State or Hybrid amps at one point or another (not exclusively necessarily).

OP is being updated
Last I knew, one guy from five finger death punch (Zoltan I think) used a digitech rack unit into a clean diamond amp, so the amp is tube, but his distortion is digital. (at least live) The other guy (Jason Hook?) uses marshall jmp rack units, which are tube.

Note to OP, I think the list would be easier to read if you listed the amp first, then the people that use them, it seems like everyone used the same couple amps.

Also- Jhachey, for your comments on the JCM 900 and the HT-5 you deserve a high five, but i'm posting from my phone so I can't get the smiley for it, i'll edit it in later.
Me and my girlfriend were in a guitar store one day.

My GF- What's the difference between Gibson and Epiphone?

Me- (Explains)

GF- So Epiphone is like Gibson's slutty little sister?

Me- I love you.
Last edited by Kyle-Rehm at Oct 13, 2010,

I have yet to see anyone in this thread being even the slightest bit snobby about the 900 or the HT5. We're simply discussing an arguable point about what's a hybrid and what's not. What's wrong with that?

Not sure what we're getting stirred up about here.

EDIT:
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
This is NOT stating that these artists ONLY use these amps, but merely that they have at one point or another used a Solid State or Hybrid amp for either recording or gigging.

For anyone curious, this quote from the OP is why the discussion of what is hybrid and what isn't is entirely relevant to the thread. It's not a snob rant about "hybrid sucks" or "SS sucks" or anything like that.
Last edited by CECamps at Oct 13, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard
If you use an FX box and a PA to serve as your amp, then I'd say that they quality in the SS category. They serve the same purpose as SS amps. And that's to re-create/model a tube amp's tone.

Your acoustic example doesn't count because people, as a rule don't use an amp to shape an acoustic's tone. Electrics, as a rule do use amps to dictate their tone.
Ed Sloan (Crossfade) used Vettas and Flextones early on. The entire first album is pretty much ALL Vetta.

Mark Tremonti uses a Johnson Millennium for a warm up amp. And I swore I saw a video somewhere of him using a Randall V2 (both having tube pre-amp, but a solid state power section).
Guitar:
PRS Tremonti

Amp:
Bluetron Bluedrive
Ducted Port 1x12
Jensen Mod 12-110

Wants:
59/09's or Standard T&B
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ List the BAND too if they are in a band.

Alex Skolnick is in Testament. He uses Mode 4s and JCM2000s.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2