Page 4 of 5
Quote by fly135
I'm not the one making the list that's full of modelers and modeling amps. I'm assuming that what's in the list and posts are part of the discussion. Nobody said, "let's keep this strictly SS only, no DSPs".

But that isn't the case here. Nor is that my decision. If you want to make a categorized thread then I suggest you start one.

it doesn't explicitly say "let's keep this strictly SS only, no DSPs", but i don't see DSP's anywhere in the title. the fact that it has been included would lead me to think it is pertinent and probably implied.

i don't start threads like this one, i saw some weird stuff being claimed and thought i might weigh in on it. did i state things in a provoking manner?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I'm with Cathbard here. The AxeFX isn't an amp in the sense that some may think of it. It's a pre-amp and MFX processor combined into one single rack unit. In order to use it with a speaker cabinet, it needs a power amp, much like every other rackmount preamp ever made. You can plug it into anything, but it's only a line level device, much like a POD. So in order to have any sort of use whatsoever, it needs an external power section in the form of either a rack unit, rear end of an FX loop on an amp head in rare cases, or a power amp driving the mains and monitors at a gig.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Last edited by Karlboy at Oct 14, 2010,
Quote by gumbilicious
i don't start threads like this one, i saw some weird stuff being claimed and thought i might weigh in on it. did i state things in a provoking manner?
One might consider the "@fly, making assumptions like this:" provoking. I'm not sure why I've become the point man for the "no modeling or DSP" arguments. Modeling units and amps are being duscussed. It appears to me that the thread is about artists using other than tube amps for their amps.

This isn't directed at you but.... I think the argument about whether a mutifx fits in is best characterized by this hypothetical conversation that is likely to occur frequently...

Random guy: What amp are you going to use at the gig tonight?
Guitarist: I'm going to plug my multifx into the PA.

See how simple that was. The guitarist didn't get confused about the question. Nor did the random guy need to tell the guitarist he wasn't using an amp. It's understood that the multifx into the pa performs the same function as a guitar amp.
Quote by fly135
One might consider the "@fly, making assumptions like this:" provoking. I'm not sure why I've become the point man for the "no modeling or DSP" arguments. Modeling units and amps are being duscussed. It appears to me that the thread is about artists using other than tube amps for their amps.

This isn't directed at you but.... I think the argument about whether a mutifx fits in is best characterized by this hypothetical conversation that is likely to occur frequently...

Random guy: What amp are you going to use at the gig tonight?
Guitarist: I'm going to plug my multifx into the PA.

See how simple that was. The guitarist didn't get confused about the question. Nor did the random guy need to tell the guitarist he wasn't using an amp. It's understood that the multifx into the pa performs the same function as a guitar amp.

hmmm, i do make an attempt to try not to provoke, but i do see statements like that as having much potential to inflame.

the statement i picked made it seem more like you were referring to modelers such as sansamp SS modelers or those circuits that replace triode tubes with JFETS, are some examples of SS modelers(i didn't see references to anything but digital modelers in the debate though).

i do see what you mean with 'anything that serves the purpose of an amp is an amp', but you will get people coming in and argue over where to make categorizations.

if i see a thread that asks "who uses SS amps" then i would stick to amps that use FET's, opamps and transistors as it's amplifying components. i personally wouldn't take into account digital technology, but many guitarists feel SS refers to 'anything that isn't tube' and problems arise there. that is what i was trying to address, cuz i felt that comment i quoted was making some assumptions that others don't/wouldn't share. that statement would give people a reason (and some backing) to go against it.

-ae
You're all forgetting the point of this thread: Good tones are acheiveable without t00bz. can we let this the f*ck go? seriously. I keep checking this thread hoping for an "Oh, I didn't know *insert artist here* uses that amp. Neat" moment, but all i get is some dumbass argument on what should or should not be in this thread.

seriously, get over it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgTJtdn6VjM
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
i can't wait for mk IV, destroy all processors...

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
i think the problem is coming just because things like the axe fx really don't have a category. you can use it any way you want.

It can model the entire signal chain and be run into any power amp ss or tube, or it can into a pa, mixing, board or you can run it in to the input of a tube amp or solid state amp so....

I'd put them in a different category and yes they are effects units by definition...

but that effect now includes amp and speaker impulse modeling...which just goes to prove that....

amps are just really big pedals and their effect is amplification.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
^ right.

I still consider the Ax Fx to be a modeler - it just models amps and effects and other nuances.

tomorrow I'll bust the OP up a bit further but most of what we are doing here is over 50% of the heads reading. I think most people just want to see what is possible without tube amps.

everyone who has been arguing about the definitions needs to read the title of the thread

yes 'amps' has quote hash marks

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 15, 2010,
All good now.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

like Greg said mk IV will be better

yea in mk IV the amps define themselves.

it takes place in soviet union, that's all i'm letting out.
God you people complain.

"Hey man, thats not a solid state amp, its a digital modeling toaster, and does not abide by the technical deffinition of a solid state amp, because the crystal lattice is upside down and the input jacks are gold rather than silver like a solid state amp, its toast is also digital tasting."

It isnt like it actually matters much. The point of the thread is to prove that not every pro will use valve amps, and valve amps arent the best solution to everything.

Dime also used the Randall Warhead on the last pantera album, and the Warhead X2 when he was recording with damageplan just to make my contribution not pointless.
Last edited by beckyjc at Oct 15, 2010,
I'll be quiet then.

Should do, put "Pantera/Damageplan/Rebel Meets Rebel" if you want to be specific, pretty sure he used his Randalls with all those bands.
Would anyone like to comment on the List now?

Obviously I don't know all of these amps and how they operate. I realize the hybrid amps get harder to group and I really don't feel like splitting hairs but if you see any glaring mistakes speak up.
I goat uan moah fo deh Lineuh sicks POD sekshun:

Twisted Sister's JJ French and Eddie Ojeda use PODs for shows.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
LOL, you actually included me? alright, then lets get the facts straight

i use
software modelers:
ampliftube - modeling software (for recording at times)

hybrids
music man 115-65
music man HD-130
music man 212HD-150

solid state
roland jazz chorus (late 70's)
ampeg G15
(used to use a Marshall Lead 15 way back when)

also, there are a number of artists that i have used sunn beta leads
- Kurt Cobain
- The Melvins (Buzz and Kevin)
- Tool (Adam Jones)

Jaco Pastorius and John Paul Jones were known to use Acoustic Amps for their bass amplification needs(don't know if you care about bass players).

both guys from orgy do some strange setups where they use direct boxes into the sound board with live tube amps as well. one uses synth modules. very different.

http://www.guitargeek.com/rigview/465/
http://www.guitargeek.com/rigview/464/

-ae
^We're tought to set up bass players like that, amp + DI into mixer.

Maybe its because they tune to drop zz Or they need it for clearer foldback. I unno.
np 311.

btw, i got my eye on this 15" Kustom SS amp from the late 60's and early 70's (called a charger i think). those things sound great. they wanna get rid of it 275 and it can be used for a bass rig. what is not to love. but my windshield needs replacing and it's costing me out the nose for it, i'll get it if no one buys it in 2 weeks.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
LOL, you actually included me? alright, then lets get the facts straight

i use
software modelers:
ampliftube - modeling software (for recording at times)

hybrids
music man 115-65
music man HD-130
music man 212HD-150

solid state
roland jazz chorus (late 70's)
ampeg G15
(used to use a Marshall Lead 15 way back when)

also, there are a number of artists that i have used sunn beta leads
- Kurt Cobain
- The Melvins (Buzz and Kevin)
- Tool (Adam Jones)

Jaco Pastorius and John Paul Jones were known to use Acoustic Amps for their bass amplification needs(don't know if you care about bass players).

both guys from orgy do some strange setups where they use direct boxes into the sound board with live tube amps as well. one uses synth modules. very different.

http://www.guitargeek.com/rigview/465/
http://www.guitargeek.com/rigview/464/

By "synth modules," I was hoping you meant he routed his guitar through a modular synth, basically using it as a really large effects unit. He just has two Roland guitar synths and a JP-880 that he probably uses like a guitar synth, since he seems to control it with the MIDI output of his guitar.
Quote by Holy Katana
By "synth modules," I was hoping you meant he routed his guitar through a modular synth, basically using it as a really large effects unit. He just has two Roland guitar synths and a JP-880 that he probably uses like a guitar synth, since he seems to control it with the MIDI output of his guitar.

not quite that cool as you thought. but using those roland pups to control that JP880 synth module and running it to a PA is pretty different, def alternative to tube amps.

-ae
Daniel Ash used an H||H IC100S, same as Bolan so you can fill that bit in.

And Brian May used the Deacy Amp on pretty much every album after the first.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
90% of the bar bands in New Orleans use SS amps...

srsly, roland cube 60 and 80s were most popular.
I think the Rocktron voodu valve is a solid piece of gear , it could be add to the list as the " 12ax7 valve" doesnt change a damn thing . Its a 24 bit DSP Motorola engine Preamp . The speaker emulation on the voodu valve make it worth the price , this is the best sound ive ever had through headphone for bedroom practice . IMO it isnt worth 750 new price .. but i f you can score it for 250-300 for voodu valve-online . Its a nice piece of gear for high gain sound

you could also add the Marshall jmp-1 use by Iron maiden which is also a solid state preamp .

i think the voodu valve was use by Dimabag darell . Solid piece of gear . a step above most modeler .

never tried it direct through a P.A or it front of a tube poweramp . But through headphone , it really rock .

nice thread .. i like seeing artist whop use solid state .

Chad Krueger from nickelback use a Valvetronix 100 watt head for his clean sound . is it endorsement or real , i dont know .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Mar 3, 2011,
311, you should add Phil Collen, Vivian Campbell and Steve Clarke of Def Leppard to that list.

Phil and Steve both used exclusivley rockman during pyromania and Hysteria and most of adrenalized. now days Phil and Vivian use JMP1's with Randal SS power amps.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
also you could add many industrial metal/death metal bands like Nine inch nails , Pain , Rammstein , Hypocrisy , Immortal who all used the Tech 21 Sans amp Psa-1 somewhere in their career for sure ( you can recognize the distinctive sound of the sans amp psa-1 .

Peter Tatgren from Hypocrisy listed the equipment they use 4 years ago on the website ... his main amp was a Tech21 trademark 300 ( now discontinued i believe ) but he still use his Sans amp psa-1 live and probably in studio too . they sound like a Psa-1 ,
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Don't know if it has been said, but Joe Walsh had recorded with a Roland Cube and uses a cube live to power his talkbox. He used to use them live too, he'd stack a bunch of em! but now uses carvin t00bz amps.

Cube 60 to be exact...
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Last edited by evhbrianmay at Mar 4, 2011,
alice cooper and UFO recorded on pignoses.

i'm actually pretty sure that's true.
Kirk Windstein and the other guitarist in Crowbar were both running the Dean Dime 100 Heads and matching 4x12s (2 heads and 4 cabs each) when I saw them a few months ago...their tone was actually really thick too. Surprised me, as every time I hear that amp at work I normally cringe. No hidden amps behind either, I checked. Even more surprising was that Kirk was also running a Boss MT-2 and NS-2, and the other guitarist was running an SD-1 in front of them

EDIT: Also you spelled Dustin Kensrue's name wrong.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Last edited by Bloodshed at Mar 9, 2011,