i havent posted in here since a bout a year ago so i thought it might be time to do a c4c. i tried to get a decent mix of fairly heavy djent with some ambience.
please be harsh on me.
cheers, and no i can't play the solos!
Attachments:
djeneric.gp5
djeneric.gp4
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Djent with power/barre chords? doesn't work broski, I think you to re-evaluate the djenty chords.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Just a question:
What is djent? I still don't understand what makes a song a djent song.
I've seen my band Katatura on that got-djent.com website, and I can't find too much djent in our music, actually.
And I've seen some djent pieces on UG so far, but I don't see things where I can say "this doesn't belong to any genre, so it's djent".

I'll be glad if you could explain it to me, as your song consists djent..

Crit your song in an hour or so, just busy right now.
CLICK
Quote by synestershadows
Holy shit nemesis, that was depressing.
Mission accomplished!
A:
Works perfect as intro for me. Despite being 6 bars (not the usual 8 or 4 bars like in other songs). Well, maybe because it's just 4 times the pattern.

B:
That part's ok. But the bending on 3rd fret sounds weird to me. Also it's pretty unusual to use the splash like this. d: guess you just liked the midi sound of it.
Next drum variation (with china as dotted 8th) doesn't groove to me though..
maybe let the snare where they were, at every 3rd count. Or let them play the "beat" of the riff.

C/D:
Wow, that's nice. Like the calm ambiance. No much complaining here.

E:
Transition to this section disrupted the groove imo. But the part was ok, nothing much to add here.

F:
Enchanting. You did right with tagging it as ambient. Bar 62 is totally not necessary.

G:
It's my favourite section, although it's kinda repititive. Like it.
That last bit with those toms.. i felt that it sounds better with the Drums and Guitar V muted though.

H:
Nice variation, but the rhythm gets kinda repititive too. It's ok though, but there's no "mind food"-input.

Outro works. But it's just an outro, you know?

All in all, you managed to create a great atmosphere that puts the listener in some kind of trance. I see some hints of progressive writing style, but you could still make it more complex, providing more stuff to think about. It's quite easy to decipher the structure and stuff in this song, but well, you weren't going for a mindf*ck, but ambience.

C4C?
I've got nothing finished though, but I'd appreciate a comment on "123456" (should be on first or second page).
I recommend listening to the Mp3 on my profile page, i made some changes in that version.
CLICK
Quote by synestershadows
Mission accomplished!
Quote by adj209
Djent with power/barre chords? doesn't work broski, I think you to re-evaluate the djenty chords.

why not?
are you referring to guitar I in part G...
i tried a major 9th instead, sounded too cluttered imo.
thanks anyhow!
Quote by Nemesis@Germany
Just a question:
What is djent? I still don't understand what makes a song a djent song.
I've seen my band Katatura on that got-djent.com website, and I can't find too much djent in our music, actually.
And I've seen some djent pieces on UG so far, but I don't see things where I can say "this doesn't belong to any genre, so it's djent".

I'll be glad if you could explain it to me, as your song consists djent..

well djent as i know it is this:
drop-tuned, techy metal with hardcore influences. the word djent is onomatopoeic, used to describe the guitar tone when doing breakdown style rhythms on the lowest string.
but to be honest others may know it as something else, its a term that is bounded about just like the words 'progressive' or 'hardcore'.
a few very djent bands:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeIIx0fwVRs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96RFHztk-Pw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB75rvrv5YA

sorry for double posts
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Ah, ok.
Never knew Cloudkicker was djent, though.
CLICK
Quote by synestershadows
Mission accomplished!
i think its just in the guitar tone at the end of the day really.
Yeah, I guess so.
Otherwise Meshuggah is totally djent. (even with the guitar tone, I wouldn't call it djent)
CLICK
Quote by synestershadows
Mission accomplished!
Quote by Nemesis@Germany
Yeah, I guess so.
Otherwise Meshuggah is totally djent. (even with the guitar tone, I wouldn't call it djent)

Lol, they invented djent.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Quote by ..NEM..

While they do have a weighty influence on the genre (i.e. 99% of djent being "reminiscent" of their work), Bulb from Periphery is the person that came up with the term and therefore invented djent.
I'm guessing you already know that and you was joking around.
Not on my watch, dawg.

The song is pleasant enough. On the technical side of things, there's nothing I could really nitpick. The structure is well done, the harmonies in G are a refreshing break from the djent chugs, and it all sounds close to the djent style that you are emulating.
Which is one of my main complaints. It doesn't really expand on what has already been done. That doesn't mean you need make Frank Zappa spaz out songs to be good (I'll try to refrain from insulting him here, but no promises), but breathing a fresh palette can help you stand out.

Which is ultimately what I'm trying to get at (both in my songs and this review). While this song is good, it is not great. It lacks memorability.
I think that it might have to do with staying in the djent safe zone. Maybe you should have gone with 9ths in the G section.
For the 1st bar of the section, go with the 9ths and then alternate back to the standard power chord in the next bar. It helps give it some favor without changing the song too much.

Here's another thing. I'm not too partial towards djent (outside of Periphery/Bulb and Cloudkicker), so I generally am a bit critical of the qualitative aspects of the djent (both the in UG/GP and studio produced songs).
So take this with a grain of salt if anything.
Quote by ..NEM..

The sound. It's the sound, if anything.
But it seems that most of you people see it as genre. (iritates me quite)
Calling Meshuggah djent would be a travesty.

I guess it's all just some new trend.
The progressive/djent songs on UG I've seen so far weren't imo not progressive enough to be called progressive.
And djent?
I guess I just have to imagine the sound and aply it to the Midi sounds.

Man, I sound like trolling around, haha.
CLICK
Quote by synestershadows
Mission accomplished!
Imma go ahead and crit... since Djent is my favorite genre (inb4 "IT'S A T0N3 L0L" shut up. I know. I have my own opinions on the matter.):

I'll start by saying... up until E it was MAGNIFICENT. I loved it. Wouldn't call it djent at all though. Much more Death/Hardcore in my opinion than Djent (that's not a bad thing, especially considering it doesn't sound like either of those genre's... it's just not Djent to me). I'll go section by section now:

A - I LOVE this progression. Love it.

B - The rhythm really compliments everything going on. Reminds me a bit of TesseracT, but less techy. The change to the Splash was well needed. I was getting a bit tired of the China. Great intro to C, as well.

C - Starts off as a great solo. D is wonderful. I love the change in the rhythm section as well as the Pizzicato Strings. I have absolutely no complaints at all.

E - This is where it goes a bit downhill for me. The transition seemed a bit forced to be honest. Just WAYYYY too in your face. The rhythm is nice. But add some variation in the drums here to make it seem less... stale by the end of it.

F - I like the change back to a more harmonious section. Just a couple minor quips though: pan Guitar IV to the middle, and up the volume of the String Ensemble to 11 and Pan to 0. To me, that fills up the sound just a bit more and gives it more... emotion? Other than that... I love it.

G - Beautiful. This deserves more melody than it gets though! By 79, though, I'm getting tired of hearing the same chord. EDIT: I went and moved Bars 71 - 74 up a M3 and I enjoyed the little bit of change.

H - This would be the perfect place for a key change. I literally moved everything in the first 4 bars of H up a M3 (4 frets) and it sounded awesome. Everything after is nice. I loved the outro.

I loved the song. Not too djenty to me up until the end, but it was very good. Mainly just some repetition and mixing issues.

9/10

As a side note, when G starts it reminds me of Space.

C4C? A God Given Body in my sig.

EDIT2: But Huevos is right... it does stay in the Djent safe zone. I'd just recommend trying to experiment a bit, honestly. I'll be looking for your next song ;]
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Nov 14, 2010,
Crit: I'm not the biggest fan of djent, however, it's not a bad song from that POV.

The intro starts of nicely with the clean guitar and strings. The chugging comes in nicely, and the drum turn-around at bar 19 is muy bueno.
E and F are nice ans heavy sections, although the transition feels abit awry with all the instruments coming to an abrupt stop.
The first part of G was a fine section, serving as a contrast against all the chugging.

Overal, I would like a bit more variety without the chugging going almost all the way through. You had nice ambience going on with the strings. A pretty good song, but not really my cup of tea. Keep it up!

Quote by huevos
While they do have a weighty influence on the genre (i.e. 99% of djent being "reminiscent" of their work), Bulb from Periphery is the person that came up with the term and therefore invented djent.
I'm guessing you already know that and you was joking around.
Not on my watch, dawg.

Coming up with a term =/= inventing it. But whatever, djent feels like a really abstract concept anyway.

Quote by Nemesis@Germany
The sound. It's the sound, if anything.
But it seems that most of you people see it as genre. (iritates me quite)
Calling Meshuggah djent would be a travesty.

But what is djent really, in your opinion? If djent is all about the sound, and Meshuggah "came up" with that sound, it's not that big stretch is it?

"Djent is widely acknowledged to have come first from Meshuggah, but Misha 'Bulb' Mansoor has arguably popularized the sound. Djent's typical uses give rise to a "genre" of djent that is characterized by hi-fi compressed production, polyrhythmic/staccato distorted riffs and ambient clean passages which make liberal use of 9 and other "jazzy" chords."

But whatever, let's stop derailing the thread.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Quote by Nemesis@Germany
Just a question:
What is djent?

Quote by Misha Mansoor from his Guitar Messanger Masterclass Series

One big thing we get asked a lot is what ‘djent’ is – and it is djent. The ‘d’ is indeed silent. We didn’t invent it, Meshuggah did. I just use it because it’s a way to describe a sound. It’s when you do a four-note power chord – which I like because it sounds very metallic and aggressive. Since we play in drop it would be 0-0-0-2.

As opposed to regular chug chords, which would be like a [two or three-note] power chord. So you get a super metallic sound, and I like gear that it enhances that or is conducive to that sound. That’s while you’ll always hear me saying that I like something that’s djenty. As I said, I did not invent it – I’m just using a word that I heard someone else say, because it is the best way to describe it [laughs]. It just sounds like it – it’s an onomatopoeia. Just to clear that little thing up there.

What a lot of people now describe as djent bands are groovy, low tuned and often have odd key signatures and polyrhythms.

On to the song!
I thought it was fantastic and really enjoyed the whole thing. My favorite riff was definitely the one starting at 79, especially when the rhythms come in to complement it.
Let's party.