Page 1 of 4

Yes, it's that time again. The FAQ needs a revamp, and who better to do it than the lovely folks here at the Bass Forum?

We call upon you to share you knowledge and write sections for the FAQ. But fear not! If you have nothing at all add, a couple of proof readers shall be required.

1. General bass playing questions (deliriumbassist)

(Technque
bass through guitar amp DONE
4 over 5 strings DONE
Pick vs finger DONE
Guitarist's guide to playing bass
Theory
Identifying basses
Practicing tips)

2. Parts of a bass (deliriumbassist)

3. Pickups (Nutter_101)

4. Starter basses (Spaz91)

5. Amplification (gilly_90) DONE

(Heads/cabs/combos
EQ
Ohms/power ratings
Speaker sizes
General amp Q's
Top brands/crap brands)

6. Effects (gilly_90)

(Types (and reccomendations)
Examples of pedals
Companies to avoid)

7. Strings (Anarkee)

(Types
Brands
Boiling strings/denatured alcohol)

8. Care and Mainenance (Tostitos) DONE

9. Tonewoods (Tostitos) DONE

10. Modifications/Changing parts (Tostitos) DONE

11. Changing strings (Trabrnbassist22) DONE

12. Bass books (Anarkee)

Proof readers: jazz_rock_feel, the_perdestrian

These here will be the topics covered. Choose which section(s) you would like to contribute and I shall edit your name into the post.

Please say in this thread whether anything has been missed out or you would like something extra to be covered in the FAQ too!
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I can do 9 and 10

EDIT: I can throw in 8 too, if nobody else wants it.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Nov 13, 2010,
I think that subjects like:

Tonewood (ultimate tonewood thread, GB&C)
Theory (Musician's Talk)
Some of the amplification parts (impedance, power ratings) (GGA/GBC)
Modifying (GB&C)

Are already covered in other forums so I would link to those or copy them into here instead of writing a whole other section.
Quote by salgala2000
I think that subjects like:

Tonewood (ultimate tonewood thread, GB&C)
Theory (Musician's Talk)
Some of the amplification parts (impedance, power ratings) (GGA/GBC)
Modifying (GB&C)

Are already covered in other forums so I would link to those or copy them into here instead of writing a whole other section.

Those parts would be written more towards a bass players perspective, for example walking basslines in theory. It's easier to read a brief overview in the FAQ first, than to be sent somewhere else straight away. There will still be links to the more in depth explanations if anyone wants to research into them more.
Quote by skater dan0
Might as well ask in here, whats the deadline on these?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I'll set a deadline once we get everything sorted out, but we're aiming to get this done by Christmas time at the latest.
Quote by skater dan0
Crap, I just realized im not too knowledgable when it comes to boiling strings, im def. not the guy to ask.
pinga
I'll do the guitarist guide to playing bass and if someone wants a bass book section, I'll update that as well.
if no one else wants 11 I'll do it.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Last edited by TrabenBassist22 at Nov 13, 2010,
Ben I'll add you in for 1 and 2 and Tam yes I think a book section would be useful so I'll add it to the list and put you down for it
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I don't have enough free time to do one but when it's all done i'll add in things that i think are important that aren't there if you want.

Also i remember del wrote a huge in depth thing about care and maintenance, i think you should just link to that in section 8
Quote by fleajr_1412

1. General bass playing questions (deliriumbassist)

(Technque
bass through guitar amp
4 over 5 strings
Pick vs finger

Guitarist's guide to playing bass
Theory
Identifying basses
Practicing tips)

I could help on these three if you want some help delirium, other than that, i can pretty much help proof read.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I can do 5 if no-one else is doing it.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Updated. Just need someone for pickups and effects and then a deadline will be set. Just to say as well that if needs be you can lift parts of the old FAQ if they're still relevant, e.g. bass care and maintanance.
Quote by skater dan0
actually, I'll do effects too, God knows I need something to occupy my time with...
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

I'll take pickups. I'll even throw onboard electronics in there.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Pickups belongs to Chris
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
That's everything. Deadline for 1st of December?
Quote by skater dan0
I'll try, I might be just a tad out of my league when it comes to describing the starter basses, ive only played on the GSR200
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
I'll try, I might be just a tad out of my league when it comes to describing the starter basses, ive only played on the GSR200

What's it feel like having an outspoken Behringer hater doing amplification?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

I think it might be a good idea to split effects up a little further.. probably into three sections, stuff like fuzz, overdrive, distortion, and then stuff like modulation and envelope filters, and a third section on EQ and compression (not really effects but still).

Also, in the starter section I think an explanation detailing the differences between precision basses and jazz basses would be useful, that question seems to pop up every other day.

Anyway, good luck... it seems everything's already been taken but if anything else comes up you need doing I'd be happy to help.
-chris crocker voice-

LEAVE BEHRINGER ALOOOOONE!!! JUST LEAVE IT ALOONE!

no really, dont hate on it too much haha.
pinga
^I'm just going to tell the truth

^^and yeah, I was planning on doing similar to that on the effects

EDIT: I think i might have problems with the image per post limits
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Last edited by gilly_90 at Nov 14, 2010,
Split it into seperate posts.

Deadline will be 1st of December then. When you're done send what you've got to me or Dan via PM. Once it's all together it shall be semt to the proof readers.
Quote by skater dan0
The way we did it the first time around was write it up in a word processor as we would put it in a post. So using tags and so on. Then we sent it either in a PM or as an attachment, I can't remember, to the project leader for him to put it all together, give it to proof readers and then to post it.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
holy crap, I've done a lot of typing tonight, almost finished the amplifiers section.

Oh and if any of the proof readers Americanise my spelling I WILL EAT YOUR FACE.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

^ I'm in the same boat, I've just about finished a rather lengthy tone woods section.

Proof readers beware, I'm a little apostrophe-and-comma-happy.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
My spelling and grammar have always been good, I'm just awful at typos
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

If you guys need anything from me or have painful jobs you'd like me to take care of, just ask!
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
I'd help if I was good at writing this kind of thing

I tried last time we attempted this, but my submission kind of failed...I couldn't quite get what I was trying to say out. I think I condensed it too much :/
Nope, no sig here.
You can still help by proof reading if you like?
Quote by skater dan0
Is there an ideal length to shoot for or anything? Just want to know if I need to condense some things.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
There's no word limits here. If it's too big for one post it'll just get split in to two posts
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
Damn, I should have gotten the effects one.
Wood doesn't affect tone. Grow up.
The new FAQ definitely needs ctrl+f codes this go around.

For example maybe I just wanna go strait to tone woods instead of scrolling.
put a random number beside the index.

EX: Section 4. Tone Woods 3456

then putting the number in front of it in the article.

then CTRL+F and putting the number in would take me straight to it!
Page 1 of 4