Page 3 of 3
Guitarnbeyond
Banned
10 IQ
Hey guys I just wanted to tell you guys about the new website that I created specifically for guitarists. There is some great stuff including, jam tracks, a forum, tabs and lessons. Also I was thinking about making a page that will allow you to advertise for your band on my front page!Come check it out

http://www.guitarnbeyond.com
Arab_Philosofer
35 IQ
Aww the Chinese sellers , they got some groovy shit. I'd have no problem buying a tremelo ark or pickguars off them. Even a guitar if you get it under 120 or so.
Wmheadbanger
794 IQ
Wat about the pickups on those 'fake' jem and lespauls?what they can copy the pups also?
semiquaver555
10 IQ
Haha if it's too god then it's probably fake. It's useless to buy a fake guitar since you can't really play with it. I guess fakes can only be used as pretty wall hangers, not really considered an insttrument.
richardlpalmer
1,260 IQ
I will say though, that when it comes time to get all Pete Townsend-y and smash up my guitars, I'd rather use a fake than my real ones.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
semiquaver555
10 IQ
Quote by richardlpalmer
I will say though, that when it comes time to get all Pete Townsend-y and smash up my guitars, I'd rather use a fake than my real ones.

LOL true
But still the clean-up would be messy and it will be a lot of work :O
I wouldn't really want to smash up guitars though. It kind of hurts me when I'm mishandling/destroying an instrument. I guess because I wasn't the one who actually made the guitar If you ever want to destroy something, destroy your things.

Still, watching them smashing guitars on youtube would be a lot easier.
richardlpalmer
1,260 IQ
Quote by semiquaver555
LOL true
But still the clean-up would be messy and it will be a lot of work :O
I wouldn't really want to smash up guitars though. It kind of hurts me when I'm mishandling/destroying an instrument. I guess because I wasn't the one who actually made the guitar If you ever want to destroy something, destroy your things.

Still, watching them smashing guitars on youtube would be a lot easier.

I've actually never done it. I think it'd be cool to be that "in the zone" on stage that something like that just came out of me. But picturing my MEQ smashed to bits gives me a queasy feeling...

It'd be like one of those movies when the killer finally snaps out of it, looks down at his hands covered in blood, then looks on the floor at his family that he's slain. Horrifying!
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
kindadumb
1,198 IQ
I'm curious...I know Ali Express stuff is fake, but do you even actually get an instrument? I've heard of scams coming out of China where you buy their product, you never get anything, and then they close up and move on to the next scam.

I'm not into the expensive gear, and I've loved the Chinese-built instruments I've played so far...if you can get a cheap instrument and switch out pickups + electronics, seems like it wouldn't be a bad deal at all. That's assuming, of course, that a customer could talk the vendor into not having "GIBSON" and "MADE IN USA" featured on the headstock.
09kitty23
UG Newbie
10 IQ
uh... there is one brand that i know who is proud that is made in China that were built with Korean hardwares and American/Canadian wood.. nuts are Graphtech Black Tusq XL. you guys have to check and see for yourself.

(link removed)

oh and i am the designer and founder of these guitars, i'm a guitarist myself so i know what people needs in a certain level that i can provide without breaking the bank. The only problem we have is that we are a small shop and can only focus on a certain number of guitars (for several months we built only 7 guitars).. our luthiers have been building for decades and happy that a masterluthier even join our team. check us out guys and if there are questions just send a private message on the facebook page..
rocknroll93
Warning: Small Parts
501 IQ
id just like to point out that I know a guy with a a counterfit/copy/ whatever you want to call it, and it still plays and sounds amazing.
still most likely ilegal, but it just proves that you can pay cheap and get decent.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Adub
261 IQ
Not having ever owned a real Gibson or Fender, I could probably be duped into buying a counterfeit, but then, you fall back on if it sounds to good to be true...you can't find a genuine article for $300. But you could find one that sounds half way decent, again, personal tastes rule. Always play before you buy it. That's why I buy most of my gear locally on Craigslist (although you meet some odd folks...)

I personally own a gretsch double jet with a Bigsby replica, made in China in 2009. Bought it used, from a fella who played maybe twice. I love the twang of the pups, the all mahogany construction and set neck give it lots of dark sustain. I wasn't sure if I would like the tone, but it looked sexy, and when I took her for a spin, it was love at first A5...

I just bought, last week, an Ibanez ART 300 locally. It's the black caiman. Sexiest axe I have ever owned (sorry Gretsch!) It was made in China in 2009, which may have been the first year they produced these?? Anyway, it's solid. Set neck, all mahogany except for the scalloped maple top. Again, wasn't sure if I was going to dig the sound, but when I played it, yeah, it's like that...

Once, while on the local paper's website, I saw an ad for tradteng, and seeing those prices, I was like yeah right. So I clicked on over, and the horrible grammar was enough to tell me no way. But I was laughing so hard, I kept checking out the guitars. Then I emailed the paper, and told them they sold ad space to a firm that most likely is hawking counterfeits, and that they should probaly have their legal dept. check into it lest they get sued by someone who reads their ads and buys one of these axes. I got a response back, and basically the paper sells internet ad space like this: the big boys (Honda, Ford, etc.) pay primo bucks for the good space. A small percentage of the ads doesn't sell, so they sell the remaining space on an auction site, and they don't track who buys it. So someone who wanted to buy ad space for sex slaves could, and it would hit the interweb without the paper ever vetting the ads, until the church lady down the street, looking for a good cruller recipie, gets redfaced reading an ad like that (or a guitar dude reading a tradteng ad).

There's a sucker born every minute, so don't be born If you fall in love with a guitar's looks, go play it, bring a bandmate along so they can be the bad cop if you get that glazed look in your eye..
Pain is temporary. Stupid is forever. - Some really friggin' smart dead dude
Ksoism
10 IQ
I wouldn't be so hard on the Chinese. Ofcourse its dumb from them to make fakes with real names, but not too long ago everyone was making strats and teles under their own banners - but with exact shape and a whole lotta less money. Then Fender sued Ibanez and whatnot other companies. No one whines of those japs being crappy copiers? Have played one pre-lawsuit era ibanez tele, and it was actually lovely. Chinese now ain't that far away what japs were in 70's and 80's.
I do not live under the illusion that those would be excellent guitars - but if they are well enough made, they have their place in my mind. Being a tinkerer myself, I do love the idea of pretty under 300usd les Paul, made out of good woods. Pickups can be exchanged, etc.
I'd love to hear if the woodwork is worth the price. If so, then they might be a game for me. I'd really like a sunburst les Paul, but can't justify the price in my situation. But I can make my own mics, or they aren't that expensive to buy if they suck. Bridges, nuts, tuners can all be exchanged. And there is (distant) possibility that all of them don't suck so bad that you would need to get new ones right away.
Here seem to be quite a few stone throwers, but I want to play one before I made my decision. They easily might suck, but you need to treat them as a cheap copy - and what's important there is that how good copies they are? Worth the 300usd tag? I would guess so, if the pics are correct. I say it again, I think they all should be sold under distinctively other name, chibson isn't good enough.
But on the other hand, I don't claim to have the balls to try them out. To me even that's pretty hefty sum ATM.
Verzila
Banned
210 IQ
I've seen a guitar or two that I'm tempted to buy. They are copies (Gibson-style, ads claim mahogany) but are unbranded and not claiming to be what they are not.

Much of the advice I've read about Chinese copies of anything (clothes, watches, perfume, accessories, etc) warns that if you think you're getting a genuine brand you are 99% sure to get stung - 'too good to be true' indeed.
On the other hand if you're not hoping to find genuine brand names and are just looking for unbranded goods, you can avoid a lot of the scams and pitfalls and may pick up a few bargains.

So if you are not looking to be fooled by the 'genuine Gibson for $300' surely it's possible that a lot of the guitars on these Chinese sites are perfectly respectable guitars for the money?

Is it also true that many unbranded/lesser-known guitars are made in the same foreign factories as the name brands? That while they're hardly 'the same thing, only without the name on the headstock' they are made using the same materials and processes and to the same standards?

I still see a number of pitfalls - for example the ad says it's mahogany, but are you actually going to get mahogany or crappy plywood? Also, the photo looks good, but is this a photo of the actual guitar you're going to get? I've seen a number of different sellers showing the same identical photo, each one claiming 'this is a photo of the genuine article - what you see is what you get' etc.

So there is no doubt a lot of crap out there, but surely there's no reason why some guitars built in Chinese factories shouldn't be built to a good standard and thus OK for the money? Surely there are plenty of good unbranded guitars out there (decent materials, decent build quality) just as there are no doubt plenty of unplayable trees - the problem is knowing the difference?
fanapathy
B-Tuned
1,983 IQ
^Just read feedback for the seller, google them etc, they will often have a lot of shills and fake feedback for themselves but you should be able to distinguish those from real accounts

I bought a guitar once claiming to be real, it was for $280 or so. When I got it and discovered it was a (pretty well done) fake, I disputed it on the site and rather than sending back and getting a refund, we settled for half price (it was escrowed). It's actually a pretty decent guitar for the price. It just pissed me off so much that they pass them off as genuine. Lot of musicians in 3rd world countries use these because they can't afford the real thing, and the ones I talked to said they're generally decent guitars

If you gonna buy, get them off of popular sellers who have gotten good reviews, also have a chat with them and see if they're honest about the product - some of the "factories" probably make useless instruments. IMO it's gonna be a much better deal to buy a Chinese guitar online than a budget low-end brand in your local store. And also make sure the "wholesale site" has an escrow so that you can inspect and negotiate when you receive it before the payment goes through
smit0910
111 IQ
Well,

I have got to say, a lot of you are a *little* bit biased here...

First off, nowadays, there are barely, if at all, any guitar sellers on TradeTang OR DHgate that claim that they are selling the legitimate item. Not only that, but most sellers would gladly change the guitars in any way you ask, free of charge, in order to make you, the customer happy. You cannot say the same thing about any guitar company around here.

Second, I cracked and purchased a 12 string Rickenbacker-like copy off of dhgate... great decision. Why? Because all of the electric 12 string guitars sold in North America are way to friggen expensive to justify buying a guitar for just one or two songs. And guess what? The quality was really good, in fact it was far better quality than one would expect after paying $275 cdn (always free shipping btw). The guitar DID have a crappy replicated "R" on the tailpiece, which I asked them to remove... AND they did. Everything was wired nicely, there were no imperfections and the craftsmanship was amazing. The pickups weren't GREAT but I'd have definitely played live with them had I not replaced them with better ones.

Thirdly, I understand there is "Intellectual property" involved with Rickenbacker (and other) copies, I hesitate to give a crap when: a) they aren't claiming the guitars to be what they're not. b) I took the risk of buying a guitar from a chinese manufacturer despite all the unwarranted chinese guitar haters on these guitar forums, my risk, my accountability. c) They sell good product that DO stand up to the original. d) It's not illegal for these sellers to make whatever guitars they wish in their country nor is it illegal for me to buy them. AND e) The guitar companies in North America make high-end or specialty guitars unattainable for people who could never afford them.

So far in this "stickied" thread, I have seen a lot of whining and complaining, but hardly anyone has said they've tried the guitars or were able to judge the quality. I, on the other hand, put up my own cash, took a risk and got a high quality item. I even bought another guitar from the same seller, and guess what? Great quality once again.

What I want to get across here is that all this whining and assuming is unfair to people who have every right to make guitars for a living. Yes, sure, maybe some of them are crooks, but just be vigilant and smart, that's what feedback is for. I encourage buying guitars from China, I also encourage local purchases, it's your choice. Just don't judge until you've tried, especially you OP!
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Quote by smit0910
Well,

I have got to say, a lot of you are a *little* bit biased here...

First off, nowadays, there are barely, if at all, any guitar sellers on TradeTang OR DHgate that claim that they are selling the legitimate item. Not only that, but most sellers would gladly change the guitars in any way you ask, free of charge, in order to make you, the customer happy. You cannot say the same thing about any guitar company around here.

Second, I cracked and purchased a 12 string Rickenbacker-like copy off of dhgate... great decision. Why? Because all of the electric 12 string guitars sold in North America are way to friggen expensive to justify buying a guitar for just one or two songs. And guess what? The quality was really good, in fact it was far better quality than one would expect after paying $275 cdn (always free shipping btw). The guitar DID have a crappy replicated "R" on the tailpiece, which I asked them to remove... AND they did. Everything was wired nicely, there were no imperfections and the craftsmanship was amazing. The pickups weren't GREAT but I'd have definitely played live with them had I not replaced them with better ones.

Thirdly, I understand there is "Intellectual property" involved with Rickenbacker (and other) copies, I hesitate to give a crap when: a) they aren't claiming the guitars to be what they're not. b) I took the risk of buying a guitar from a chinese manufacturer despite all the unwarranted chinese guitar haters on these guitar forums, my risk, my accountability. c) They sell good product that DO stand up to the original. d) It's not illegal for these sellers to make whatever guitars they wish in their country nor is it illegal for me to buy them. AND e) The guitar companies in North America make high-end or specialty guitars unattainable for people who could never afford them.

So far in this "stickied" thread, I have seen a lot of whining and complaining, but hardly anyone has said they've tried the guitars or were able to judge the quality. I, on the other hand, put up my own cash, took a risk and got a high quality item. I even bought another guitar from the same seller, and guess what? Great quality once again.

What I want to get across here is that all this whining and assuming is unfair to people who have every right to make guitars for a living. Yes, sure, maybe some of them are crooks, but just be vigilant and smart, that's what feedback is for. I encourage buying guitars from China, I also encourage local purchases, it's your choice. Just don't judge until you've tried, especially you OP!

Obviously you don't get it. Like you said the companys will change or add names so they are still telling you they will make a counterfeit guitar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ

A) if the infringement is substantial enough, the courts won't care what you call it, it could still trigger legal penalties

B) yes, it is your risk and accountability, which- depending on where you live and other details- could include jail time, fines, and confiscation and destruction of the counterfeit goods in question

C) you say that having already replaced the stock pickups, and (presumably- correct me if I am wrong) not done a side-by-side comparison nor having had the guitar long enough to see how well the woods & hardware last over time. (Metal fatigue is a bitch...)

D) actually, it IS illegal to make those guitars in China- I've read the laws, and China is a signatory to numerous international intellectual property treaties, and have even modeled their domestic IP laws after those found in Western countries*- the makers are just enjoying the benefit of selective enforcement.

E) that you cannot afford a product does not entitle you to buy an illegally produced knock-off. And remember, part of why a product made in the USA or Canada may cost more includes not just worker's hourly wages, but also things like anti-pollution laws, product safety laws, workplace safety inspections, etc. It is not an accident that China is currently having some horrific pollution episodes.

For example: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan/14/beijing-smog-continues-media-action

* in part because the Chinese government got pissed off when some Chinese IP thieves started going after the products of Chinese IP holders, wrecking their businesses...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 2, 2013,
Emster 23
55 IQ
Sorry if didn't read all the previous posts, so may be redundant. Over here in Thailand local shop has Gibson Les Pauls with "Made in USA" on back of headstock, for $300. They look nice, like Thai transvestities. When you take them home, you are the one that gets f**ked, in both cases. The shop does say they are made in China and not real, to their credit. That tradetang site has so much bogus junk... you do get what you pay for, usually....
dimesqeals
always a newbie
23 IQ
Nice post! Now we have to be careful when GAS kicks in. hahaha

Well I'm not really a person who needs to have the real/authentic brand to be able to play. As what I see as a musician, what matters most is the preferred setup of the guitar that makes me want to play it.

No matter how many $$$ my guitar costs, if it's not set up to my preference, it will sound bad (for me at least) and I would play bad on it. I did setup one. Bought it cheap and replaced the parts (bridge, pots, pickups, etc), set everything and it was perfect and played beautifully. And is still with me today. Total amount spent = half of branded ones.

Anyway, this is a great post. It's not just the guitar counterfeits that we have to worry, we also have to look out for the parts and accessories, these are important.

Off topic: By the way, I read a lot of comments about items being listed in ebay. There are a lot of counterfeits in eBay. Be careful!

Rules to follow in ebay:

-Read the title
-Read the description(Yes read it from start to finish, you have to.)
-Look at the pictures closely (bad quality pics? contact the seller and ask for good pics)
-Take note that they can sell fakes as long as they indicate that it's a "strat copy" or a "les paul copy" again read the title.

Back on topic: Nice thread! Maybe I'll post a picture of an item I'm doubting. Not really familiar with other brands, I still need professional eyes.
RedJamaX
478 IQ
This is another vote for the cheapies... honestly, the best piece of advise was already given... 1. Stick with foriegn auction sites that are estabished.
2. Stick with sellers that have high ratings.

My personal reccomendation, just get the "look-a-like" that you want based on looks and construction... so what if it doesn;t actually have "Gibson" written at the top, you know it's not a Gibson anyway, and you would only fool those who are ignorant to the difference and don;t care either. Spend $300 on the guitar with the body and finish you want, drop another $200 to $300 on orignal parts (pups and pots for sure), and set it up the way you want it.

Once you get good pickups, a decent setup, and at worst, a fret dressing... You will mosty likely have a killer guitar for 1/4 the amount you'd have paid at a guitar shop for basically the same thing without the brand name. I've had one of these fakes that I ordered and setup for a buddy of mine, it was a LP fake, no branding on the head. After a decent setup it felt really good, much better than some of the less expensive Gibby's and Epi's I've played. Then we swapped the puups and put in real gibson 490r/496t combo and it sounded amazing.

Still not feeling good about it... Get the budget brand from the maker you want, then spend the extra dough on the pickups you want... at least then you still save about 1/2.
its_minchew
516 IQ
I've actually played quite a few chinese "Gibsons" that were nice instruments. almost bought a copy of a LP Supreme from a friend because it was cheap and sturdy. I used it live for about 3 months with no problems
ma_tt11
Threadkiller
889 IQ
Quote by Balthazar1967
Don't understand why anyone would buy a knockoff knowingly. If its from a cheap site and the guitar costs little money then its going to be shit.

Just save up the money and buy a decent guitar.

This isnt entirely true. I just paid $200 for a knockoff brand telecaster, and it holds up to any real telecaster I've ever played. Sure - its not TRYING to be a Fender, and doesnt say Fender on the headstock, but cheap doesnt always mean bad, and cheap certainly doesnt always mean its not good value for what it is.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
richardlpalmer
1,260 IQ
I don't think the point really is about the quality of the instruments or if they're cheap or awesome. The primary point of this thread is about people that continue finding amazing deals on "real" brand name guitars and ask if it's too good to be true. Obviously, the answer is YES!

A secondary point in this thread is about counterfeiting and whether or not it should be supported. Regardless of whether I think American-built PRS are too expensive, seeing a counterfeit one on a Chinese site does not fill me with warm fuzzies. Maybe it does for others -- maybe people feel like they're sticking it to the "Man" by supporting counterfeiters.

Despite it being illegal in the USA (and possibly other countries), it's a debate-worthy topic...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
trodavid
15 IQ
First, I do not think that products which openly acknowledge that they are copies are legal. Industrial products are automatically protected by copyright, as I understand it. Any exact copy of a guitar, a chair, or anything else, is illegal, and copies where only minor details are changed are also caught under this.

Second, if you really are so tired, perhaps you should get some rest rather than writing the comments below. You do not seem to have investigated the subject.
regards,
trodavid

Quote by necrosis1193
I'm sick to death of every other day opening this forum and finding someone asking the same damn question again and again - "I found this expensive US-made guitar for *Insert sub-300 three-digit number here* on *Chinese wholesale site here* Is it worthwhile?"

Short-and-sweet, no, it's not. Fingers crossed this gets stickied since something like this up at the top should at least catch a few of the threads. Want more detail? Read on. Let me just say now though that not all Chinese/Korean/wherever copies are illegal copies - Only the ones claiming to be genuine Gibsons, Fenders, PRS', etc. are - Ones that openly acknowledge they're copies are legal.

First off, give this thread a read before even considering buying something you think may be fake. If you can see it in-person(ie, a secondhand seller), maybe print some of these out to check it with. They're a little dated and some of the pictures have been deleted since some of the sites have been taken down, but they're still relevant as long as you use logic and a little common sense with them - Something you should do with any purchase even if you know it's legit.

Second, here's a simple rule of thumb that always applies - If it's too good to be true, it probably is. This is common sense, but so few people use it. It shouldn't need to be said, so here it is.

Finally, before you decide "Well this guitar is still a nice deal", be aware of three things; First, you're probably going to be paying for the shipping from China. Most UGers are either in the UK or the US. Shipping across about half the US for a Les Paul off eBay is about $50. Imagine that for the guitar to come all the way from China. Same size and everything, fi not bigger since it's in that box with all the packaging.

The second thing to consider despite it seeming like a good deal is that it's nothing compared to the guitar it looks like. Most of these copies are about the quality of a Squier Bullet or an Epiphone LP-100; Nothing to be proud of, the kind of thing that's just made to carry off the lot before breaking down. The old adage holds firm - You get what you pay for.

On a final note, it depends on local laws and such, but a lot of places take counterfeiting very seriously. In most states, it's not just a felony to sell one of these - It's a felony to buy one or own one, especially knowingly. They'll probably let you off if you got duped and are calling to report the seller or something, but if you try to sell it secondhand to a shop that does a background check to make sure it's not stolen or anything, expect charges.

Anyway, I'm tired. Use common sense, good judgement, the advice in this thread, and much more crucially since this is mainly an attention-grabber for anyone thinking of posting on this subject, use the above linked fake guitar thread, and you can avoid one of these counterfeit pieces of crap. Might post more in the morning, or copypaste some posts from the fake thread with updated photos and such. Good night, and good luck.(In your guitar-shopping! )
paulears
21 IQ
Isn't the real issue that everyone, I think, would complain if a counterfeit was sold to somebody as real. If on the other hand, somebody buys one to use themselves, then the crime would appear to be having a counterfeit item in their possession - not fraud or the deception. In the UK, selling one on would be a criminal matter if it's a fake, but owning one is a civil law issue. Everyone has their own opinions on copyright. We see numerous people trying to use music without paying the creators, and attempting to justify it. Buying a Chinese guitar is exactly the same. They shouldn't do it, but there is a market. I've got a few, and some are beautiful to look at, and play nicely, while others can look good but play like dogs. It's a gamble, isn't it?

I do know I'd rather gig a playable Les Paul copy that looks nice than throw a decent expensive original in the truck. In the studio, I use the valuable one.

For what it's worth, I import quite a few microphones from China, and many guitars I have bought come from companies in the same unit. These items are cottage industry products. They rent space in large complexes where everyone works together. So a wood shop turns out guitar necks and bodies, and probably chair legs and other similar wooden items. Next door is a company who are expert in spraying and finishing, and probably do guitars and furniture too. Another company do small electronics work. They install the electronics and make them work - they probably also assemble some of my microphones and the PCBs for moving head LED lights. So, if you like something you see, but you need it red, not blue - it's no big deal at all, just takes a day or two longer. They copy many guitars by using internet images, and sometimes they have copied from low res images and get things wrong. Sometimes they can make mistakes in the wiring, and they don't notice because the people wiring the selector switches have no idea what is supposed to happen. Sometimes, they just cannot get the parts they originally used. The photo may well have gold tuners, but when they source your guitars parts, the people who fabricate the tuners may not have any, so they swap either finish or style. They don't know which is which.

I too have a Rickenbacker (ha ha) 12 string, and the strings are fitted the wrong way compared to a real one, and of course the nut slots are cut for the 'wrong' way so you can't swap. The neck is also wider, which actually makes them easier to play than the genuine ones. I've got a nice Les Paul that there only appear to have been a tiny number made by Gibson, and one went on ebay for 8 grand! The Chinese copy was $320. It looks similar, and the tree of life inlay on the neck is stunning. How does it play? Ok - nothing very special, but wow it looks nice. If you keep these things in mind, then it's a choice to be made. I have 4, and only one is not so good.
Stormymonday
402 IQ
Do the Math...Its Easy! Places like TradeTang,DHgate are Shit! If you order a guitar,you may get one,you may not..and their no way to get your hard earned money back either!
Sure..it only cost $300..good luck getting what you ordered from a photo..if they just don't screw you and ship you nothing. Read the reviews on both those sites..nothing good to say about either!

Korea,Malaysia,Indonesia,Vietnam,China and Mexico make us eat their shit!
What are You having for Dinner??
fastforded
596 IQ
Quote by Stormymonday
Korea,Malaysia,Indonesia,Vietnam,China and Mexico make us eat their shit!
What are You having for Dinner??

quite true
timmymaines
769 IQ
okay.. first off i didnt read every reply in the forum.. second im surprised at some of the things im hearing.. these fake guitars are good?? no there not..there not even epiphone or squier good.. they will make your squier sound and play like a real american fender..if you would like i can put up pics later... but about a year maybe year an a half ago.. i was with a band a good friend of mine and the guitar player for that band. played a few different guitars such as a gibson voodoo, fender tele, an ibanez 7 string rg, ltd hm-1000.. one day he brought in a esp guitar.. which i was sure it was a esp/ltd ec-1000, but it seemed odd that it said esp on the headstock this was right before they made a esp line.. and the font was the old style font they used..not block style.. anyhow i asked him about it.. he said it was bought from another friend who ordered it off some chines web-site... now this guitar was the biggest fake i have ever come across they did a really good job at faking this.. the pickups said emg on them, the tuners said grovers, everything looked good until you got up close. now for starters it doesnt hold tune at all.. most of the time the gears in the tunning machines didnt even work.. i used grovers for years never had that problem.. the pickups i am not even goin to say it.. they werent active, they were passive..no serial number, it said esp on the head stock and it said esp on the 12th fret.. not to mention the esp was engraved in the 12th fret, just like emg was in the pickups.. turn it over the back plates werent cut out right and were set a bit too deep..this whole guitar was a night mare... anyhow.. i bought that guitar from him knowning it was a fake.. he knew it and i knew it and everyone around knows it... i replaced everything in that guitar, leaving only the wood.. not sure what kinda of wood that is used but it is sold and now after about 450 dollars it stays in tune with real tuners, real emg 81 active pickups in both the bridge and neck. that sound awesome..

however after all this is said im glad someone took time and made a forum on this topic, im not for fakes but it was a fun project, im not sure if this will stop people from asking if its a good idea or not but its a start..not to mention it may help someone out who may have been ripped off and didnt even know it... its been a few years but last i heard the ibanez JEMs are the number 1 counterfeited guitar on ebay.
Last edited by timmymaines at Mar 14, 2014,
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Quote by timmymaines
okay.. first off i didnt read every reply in the forum.. second im surprised at some of the things im hearing.. these fake guitars are good?? no there not..there not even epiphone or squier good.. they will make your squier sound and play like a real american fender..if you would like i can put up pics later... but about a year maybe year an a half ago.. i was with a band a good friend of mine and the guitar player for that band. played a few different guitars such as a gibson voodoo, fender tele, an ibanez 7 string rg, ltd hm-1000.. one day he brought in a esp guitar.. which i was sure it was a esp/ltd ec-1000, but it seemed odd that it said esp on the headstock this was right before they made a esp line.. and the font was the old style font they used..not block style.. anyhow i asked him about it.. he said it was bought from another friend who ordered it off some chines web-site... now this guitar was the biggest fake i have ever come across they did a really good job at faking this.. the pickups said emg on them, the tuners said grovers, everything looked good until you got up close. now for starters it doesnt hold tune at all.. most of the time the gears in the tunning machines didnt even work.. i used grovers for years never had that problem.. the pickups i am not even goin to say it.. they werent active, they were passive..no serial number, it said esp on the head stock and it said esp on the 12th fret.. not to mention the esp was engraved in the 12th fret, just like emg was in the pickups.. turn it over the back plates werent cut out right and were set a bit too deep..this whole guitar was a night mare... anyhow.. i bought that guitar from him knowning it was a fake.. he knew it and i knew it and everyone around knows it... i replaced everything in that guitar, leaving only the wood.. not sure what kinda of wood that is used but it is sold and now after about 450 dollars it stays in tune with real tuners, real emg 81 active pickups in both the bridge and neck. that sound awesome..

however after all this is said im glad someone took time and made a forum on this topic, im not for fakes but it was a fun project, im not sure if this will stop people from asking if its a good idea or not but its a start..not to mention it may help someone out who may have been ripped off and didnt even know it... its been a few years but last i heard the ibanez JEMs are the number 1 counterfeited guitar on ebay.

WTF?

ESP has been a line much longer than LTD FYI
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
timmymaines
769 IQ
yes your right my bad.. but whens the last time you seen a guitar with esp on the headstock that didnt cost afew thousand dollars..not to mention the guitar im talkin about didnt work like it was suppose too...
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Quote by timmymaines
yes your right my bad.. but whens the last time you seen a guitar with esp on the headstock that didnt cost afew thousand dollars..not to mention the guitar im talkin about didnt work like it was suppose too...

I see ESP (not LTD) guitars for $1000ish all the time (sometimes less), not any news flash there

And learn how to use paragraphs and proper punctuation.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate