Hey !

I've been playing the guitar for what's going to be 6 months, so I've decided to move on from my ESP M-10.
After racking my brains for about an hour, I came down to the final choice : a Jackson JS32 Rhoads or an Epiphone Les Paul (Studio Deluxe).
So what do you think ? I'm more of a Metallica man, I enjoy playing rhythm and solos like the Fade to Black intro solo and the Welcome Home (Sanitarium) solos, which I know are preferable on a Les Paul. Its only disadvantage is the lack of a floyd rose, as I recently started playing lots of metal harmonics (they're not really used in the kind of guitar style I play in - but they're cool anyway :P).
Then again, in rhythm I'm mainly (as a beginner would) messing with songs using power chords (Master of Puppets, for example).
That being said, I've been more and more moving onto blues (as that's the base of rock, metal and so on) so I've decided to get a profound knowledge and skill in pentatonics and arpeggios. Then I'll hopefully move onto learning some of Hendrix hard licks.
So it's a hard choice, the Jackson for Metallica playing (and everything in general) or the Epiphone for everything.

My current gear is :
Amplifier : Vox Valvetronix VT30.
Pedal : Dunlop GCB-95 CRYBABY Wah wah pdeal.
Guitar : ESP-M10 (yes, from a guitar pack *facepalm*)

Thanks for reading, and for helping me out hopefully
Regards,
Charles.
Do you play sitting down much? If so then you're not going to care much for the Jackson.. I Love My Jackson dinky but between the 2 you are choosing i'd take the Paul.. IMO...
out of those two, i'd personally get les paul.

licensed floyds aren't all that good. you'll save yourself a lot of headache by getting the fixed bridge guitar. i'm not saying that floyd roses are hard to set up (they're not), but at that price the knife edges wear out and it won't hold tune properly.

^ playing sitting down with a V isn't all that difficult. you just sit in classical position.
Thanks for the helpful answers .

@illmental, i tend to play sitting down quite a bit, but I also tend to play standing up a lot.

So I should get the Les Paul ?
You can play the Rhodes sitting, but you have to adjust from normal playing with a standard guitar.. to me it's a bit of a pain.
Maybe not so much for others, but personally I don't like to play any Vee sitting.
I'd say you should go to your local guitar shop and check them both out. You might not hate it as much as I do while sitting... it's all personal preference I suppose.
But I would stick with the Les Paul.
Okay, thanks. I don't think local guitar shop has the Rhoades, but they have the King V, which I guess is the same. As to the Les Paul, I believe they only have the Gibson model, will that have any major changes at the sound/playing level ?

Thansk
Quote by Charlesd
Okay, thanks. I don't think local guitar shop has the Rhoades, but they have the King V, which I guess is the same. As to the Les Paul, I believe they only have the Gibson model, will that have any major changes at the sound/playing level ?

Thansk

It'll make a major difference to your bank balance. Sounds like you should get a Jackson Dinky, you can get one without a Floyd Rose but they really aren't that hard to change strings on and you have to learn somewhere, plus they're fun.

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12
that jackson is probably made of agathis.
the les paul will probably be mahogany or ash. I'd go for the les paul anyday, and i'm not even a les paul fan.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
I'd say LP man, good guitars, i'm not so hot on epiphone electrics myself but it sounds like you'd be ok with a les paul for the music you wanna do, they're a bit more versitle than a Jackson IMO and hey you ever wanna go heavier, put some different pickups in it!
Thanks for the answers, I'm heading down to my music shop this weekend hopefully, I'll be able to try out a LP on a VOX VT30 :P.