konadave
Registered User
Join date: Sep 2010
111 IQ
#1
Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've really enjoyed watching your guitar builds and wish I had the tools to do a proper guitar build myself. I do, however, have the tools and skills to build a cabinet, and thought I would contribute to the community by sharing this with you.

I don't have alot of good pics of the build in progress, so will only share a couple of those. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

The cabinet is 18mm birch plywood, finger jointed at the corners. The mounting frames for the speaker baffle and rear panels are glued into dado grooves. There is 1"x1" bracing in the corners.


All outside corners are 1/2" radiused. Use a sanding sponge to maintain profile.


Finished product. The speaker is rear mounted and protected by a 1.1mil heavy duty speaker grill. Covered in black elephant tolex. I do have some pictures of the tolex work in progress, but there are honestly many better tutorials online. I will say that I used wood glue instead of flooring adhesive or contact cement, and it turned out just fine.


Recessed steel bar handles. Weighs 40lbs, so much easier to carry with these than a strap handle on top.


Three separate panels on the rear. So far I have only played through it as closed back, but the middle and/or bottom panels can be removed for a partial open back. I also built an alternate middle panel that is ported, that I don't know if I will even bother testing it out.


Nickel corner guards and chrome socket cap screws with 1/8" spacers give it a little bling factor.


White piping along the speaker baffle for a little more bling. The speaker is an Eminence Swamp Thang, 8 ohm, 150W RMS.


Another angle. 19.5"W x 21.5"H x 12"D.


I'm very happy with how it sounds as a closed back. I plan to test it out open backed in the near future.
richfell
Registered User
Join date: Aug 2010
137 IQ
#3
Very Nice! Gonna try a 2x12 and I hope my finger joints come out a nicely as yours. Props.
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
Join date: Oct 2008
2,511 IQ
#4
Nice. A work of art.

I should really build one of these, I've been meaning to do it for a year now. Right now I am using a V30 in my spider for a cab, I might try closing the back completely and see if it's better.
konadave
Registered User
Join date: Sep 2010
111 IQ
#5
Thanks.

Quote by james4

what amp are you playing through it?

At home I'm using a pos 15W ss practice amp that I added a speaker out to, it's decent enough. The bass player has a late 90s ss Peavey guitar head that sounded pretty good through it. A Vox Night Train is in my near future.
Kanthras
Boogerman
Join date: Aug 2007
905 IQ
#6
It looks really good! Aside from a tiny gap in the tolex and the piping on the bottom, this looks very professional. I like the design as well, pretty classy.

Was the piping hard to do?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
konadave
Registered User
Join date: Sep 2010
111 IQ
#7
Yep, I bought two yards of the tolex, using one strip to cover the top and sides and that left both ends of the piece on the bottom. I then used a another small piece to cover the gap, but this made seaming it much more difficult than if I had done it in one piece. After taking the picture, I hit that small gap on the bottom edge with a black sharpie. Unless you're looking for it, it's not even noticeable now.

The piping was actually quite easy to do. It's just stapled on, you only need to be able to line it up and hold it tight. When I sized the speaker baffle, I undercompensated for the thickness of all the tolex and piping. I had to force it into the opening and that caused the seam to push out. If I had photographed the baffle before putting it in, the seam would not have shown in the pic.

I've learned from my mistakes and little things like this won't show on my next cab.
Kanthras
Boogerman
Join date: Aug 2007
905 IQ
#8
Quote by konadave
Yep, I bought two yards of the tolex, using one strip to cover the top and sides and that left both ends of the piece on the bottom. I then used a another small piece to cover the gap, but this made seaming it much more difficult than if I had done it in one piece. After taking the picture, I hit that small gap on the bottom edge with a black sharpie. Unless you're looking for it, it's not even noticeable now.

The piping was actually quite easy to do. It's just stapled on, you only need to be able to line it up and hold it tight. When I sized the speaker baffle, I undercompensated for the thickness of all the tolex and piping. I had to force it into the opening and that caused the seam to push out. If I had photographed the baffle before putting it in, the seam would not have shown in the pic.
Ah, sweet. You're giving me DIY GAS.

I've learned from my mistakes and little things like this won't show on my next cab.
Right on, that's the spirit.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!