So I got an Original Crybaby on Black Friday and I've been thinking about painting it. I was just curious as to how one would go about doing it. Would you have to take it apart and paint each component individually or could you just leave it as is and just put painter's tape on all of the inputs and cover everything that could be harmed by paint?

I know this is a pretty stupid idea. I thought it'd make a fun and easy weekend project though.
What I did:

Sand a little bit
Primer (a few coats)
Paint (some coats)
Clear (more coats)
Wait ( don't be tempted to touch it till it's dry.

EDIT: I put painter's tape blocking the holes from the inside so that paint didn't get inside the pedal.
Last edited by salgala2000 at Dec 7, 2010,
Quote by salgala2000
What I did:

Sand a little bit
Primer (a few coats)
Paint (some coats)
Clear (more coats)
Wait ( don't be tempted to touch it till it's dry.

EDIT: I put painter's tape blocking the holes from the inside so that paint didn't get inside the pedal.

You didn't take it apart or anything?
if you want to do it right (have it turn out professionally), take it apart (all you need is a hammer and a pin punch) and remove the original finish (which is tough as HELL).

To remove the finish you can use chemical paint stripper (very messy and possibly dangerous) or you can use a bench grinder's wire wheel attachment (very slow progress).

I used chem stripper, and I was wearing 3 pairs of blue nitrile gloves and it still felt like my hands were on fire.

After you get is stripped clean, paint it (i used krylon spray paint) and bake it in a toaster oven at 150 degrees for an hour. take it out and spray another coat, bake it again. repeat as many times as you want (at least 5). Make sure the toaster oven is an old junker that will never be used for food again. The toxic paint fumes will seep into any food that is heated in it.

after that, you need to apply some polyurethane to keep the finish from flaking off. you have 2 options, either spray cans or brush it on. idk the results of brushing it on, but if you spray it you'll need to use 2 or 3 cans of the stuff. brushing i prolly better than spraying because spraying only leaves a thin coat so you need to apply more. if you brush it on, 2 or 3 coats would prolly suffice. I sprayed it on. i cant stress enough how important it is to get enough poly on there..

put it through the same spraying (or brushing)/baking cycle as when you painted it. and that's it. as for results, here's some pics of mine.

done painting:

done clear-coating (logo slapped on for pic purposes):