Hey, i just wondered if anyone of you uses the daddario 12-60 for drop c tuning? I have tried ernie ball 12's for this tuning a while ago, and top 3 thinnest strings where a little too thight (i use 11's now). Is there any big name players who use 12's in this tuning/d standard? Also do daddario mean cgcfad or c standard by drop c? I also use 10's (ernie ball) on my other guitar in standard tune. Would the tension be equal?
Last edited by Usernames sucks at Dec 21, 2010,
I use 12-56 for Eb standard. Just use what you like, and stop worrying about what big name players use. Your hands aren't the same as anyone else. Just use the strings that feel/sound best for you.

CGCFAD would be drop C.

You might want to look for a mixed set if the treble strings are too tight for you.

EDIT: That depends on a few things. Scale length, tuning, etc. Tell me about this and I might be able to help more.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Last edited by IRISH_PUNK13 at Dec 21, 2010,
I use 10-52 set in E, Eb and D standard, also in Drop C. O.o Well, I guess some like heavy strings..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

if you found the 12-56 eb's too light, you're gonna need to go heavier... try out the D'addario jazz medium set (13-60). the top strings are way heavier than normal. there is a wound third though.

otherwise, you could buy a set made for a baritone guitar
I have a 25,5 scale ltd guitar whit a blocked floyd. I found the ernies 12-56 a bit to tight on the top 3 and to light on the bottom 3. But when i use 10's in standard tune, would it be the same tension whith 12's in drop c?
Quote by Usernames sucks
I have a 25,5 scale ltd guitar whit a blocked floyd. I found the ernies 12-56 a bit to tight on the top 3 and to light on the bottom 3. But when i use 10's in standard tune, would it be the same tension whith 12's in drop c?

No. If you use tens in standard then I would recommend going for a mixed gauge with the high E being an 11. I just looked on Guitar center and found these. I would recommend that you try those, and take out the G string, and use all of the others. The G will be a 28 instead of a 22, and it will also be wound which means you'll have more tension for drop tuning.

Hope that helps.

EDIT:
Take out the 18. I didn't make that very clear when I posted. The 28 will become your G string, or F in drop C.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Last edited by IRISH_PUNK13 at Dec 21, 2010,
I have tried those before, but 58 is to light for the low c string, plus ernie ball is lighter than ddario because of the mixture of steel i beleave. I also don't wanna have a wound g string. I have ernies 11 on my guitar now by the way and 10's in standard seems a little bit tighter.
Last edited by Usernames sucks at Dec 21, 2010,
Yeah, try a mixed set. I use a 52-10 (or is it 56-11?) where the top 3 strings are lighter. But I rarely venture past drop Db, so you might want a heavier set for drop C.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by Usernames sucks
I have tried those before, but 58 is to light for the low c string, plus ernie ball is lighter than ddario because of the mixture of steel i beleave. I also don't wanna have a wound g string. I have ernies 11 on my guitar now by the way and 10's in standard seems a little bit tighter.

Maybe you can try flatwounds? Those are normally stiffer than round wound, and they last forever if you keep them clean.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by Usernames sucks
Do you got any links to sties that sell them?

Any website that sells guitar related gear will have them. I've used them before and they feel great, but the sound doesn't work for me.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by Usernames sucks
What style do you play then?

Depends really. Stuff I play a lot is Velvet underground, Kyuss, QOTSA, Tom Waits, Mark Lanegan, Pearl Jam, Sonic youth, John Lee Hooker, Soundgarden, Nick Cave & the badseeds, Johnny Cash, etc.
Quote by L2112Lif