Page 2 of 342
Thanks for the hugs from the last thread everyone, and a Merry Christmas to all!

Think I'm going to skip over the Markbass combo, moneys most likely going into either a Carvin rig, an EBS Fafner, or a Genz Benz half stack. As for the rest of the loot, I got new strings, and some apartment furnishings
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by fatgoogle
Im quite

drunk?

Anyone have any suggestions for a rig at a max of 500 pounds? Ideally with a 2x12, but I'm considering other options. I'm not sure whether to stick through it and save up for a Terror Bass or go cheaper...
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I Think th cheapest decent 2x12 is the aguilar, im also looking at it. I havent seen many 2x12 bass cabs for less then 500, i dont think ive seen any.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Aguilar 2x12 and a LH500 if you like hybrids
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Thats what im hopefully going to do myself scott. Ive got the harkte, just need the cab.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I was interested in the Terror and the GK MBE212 if anyone was wondering. I'll look into the Aguilar now. As much as I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible, a hybrid is really interesting me, so I'm so sure on any Ashdown stuff, as tempting as it is. I'm not a big fan of the sound :/

edit: Which Aguilar are you guys on about?
Quote by skater dan0
As much as I'd love to, 600 for a cab is a bit much for me

Mind you, those tweed cabs would leave me weak at the knees by just looking at them.
Quote by skater dan0
I got a bunch of shirts (what I needed was jeans) some PJ pants, slippers, electric guitar case and a music stand. kinda disappointed. the case is cool, but I really really rally didn't need shirts, and I really didn't want a bunch of uber warm clothes as i am always warmer than everybody anyway..
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by fleajr_1412
drunk?

Anyone have any suggestions for a rig at a max of 500 pounds? Ideally with a 2x12, but I'm considering other options. I'm not sure whether to stick through it and save up for a Terror Bass or go cheaper...

You could get a nice old school Trace Elliot rig for that kind of dosh.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
My folks got me a badass pair of Dunham's and some cash towards that little ampeg stack that's designed for someone walking to a gig
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Well; I didn't get the Zon Hyperbass I wanted, but I may have been reaching with that one.

The dogs got beefy treats and chew toys. They are quite happy.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by consecutive e
You could get a nice old school Trace Elliot rig for that kind of dosh.

Hmm, I never thought about that. I'll keep a look out for some used Trace stuff too then.
Quote by skater dan0
Tickets to bluesfest where bob dylan, elvis costello, jethro tull, zz top, BB king, ben harper and etc are playing.

christmas
I'm glad you all got what you wanted

Has anyone had any dealings with absolutemusic.co.uk, and can tell what they're like, customer service/shipping wise, etc?
Quote by skater dan0
I know the FAQ already has a beginner bass section but I'm considering making a "Which bass to buy." thingy to help people with no clue. Sort of a tree diagram type thing splitting of at budget, preferred tone, etc. It'd need a little input from anyone willing to share their experience. Anyone think this is a good/bad idea? (Obviously it can't take into account personal opinion and the individual "feel" from certain basses but there would be adequate disclaimers.)
I think it's a good idea. If it's stickied at the top of the forum then users might actually see that it's there and stop them from making a thread, instead of making one then have everyone hound at them telling them to look in the FAQ.
Quote by skater dan0
Id say youve pretty much got, the squier CV/VM/Standards/ Affinities. Yamaha RBX series bass's. Ibanez GSR's.
Then youve got the other's which i dont personnaly think are as good.
Rogue
Johnsons
SX
etc etc.

Maybe make a poll especially for the squiers to see which to see which one should go at the top.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I'm trying to think of as many "levels" as possible. SO far I have:

Budget (in £200 groups up to £1400)
4, 5, 6, 6< stringer
Active or Passive
Neck through y/n
String through y/n
Classic or modern (body shape)
Classic or modern (sound, difficult to judge)

These aren't in any order and obviously some selections will have more than one result and some have none. I'd only want to use universally available and recognised brands (I.e. not some random boutique instrument found on eBay, etc.)
Spaz: neck construction instead of Y/N Neck through.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
Spaz: neck construction instead of Y/N Neck through.

Oh yeah I forgot about silly set necks. :/

Quote by smb
Sounds like a lot of work and a bit of a thread killer

Well I have a lot of time to kill and I find threads where the TS gives no criteria for what they want a little tedious. We have a FAQ to get rid of annoying threads and this will simply purify the forum further, obviously people can post in the thread for extra info, much like the FAQ.
or post if they aren't sure. like "I looked at spazs bass buying guide, but im not sure if I want the warwick or the jazz. I play a lot of funk and metal, so can the wick do jazz tones better or worse than the jazz does wick tones/"

and it sure as hell beats the "I haev $400 whatbass should I get."

but ets all agree this doesn't turn into a pickup buying thread thing, where everytime someone asks they get sent there and no one answers the question.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Last edited by the_perdestrian at Dec 26, 2010,
Put me down for BOTM for March. I've got a GFS kit coming in, but it might not get here for a few weeks due to the lack of ferrys coming from the mainland.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. "

"If you're going through hell, keep going."

"It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right."

- Sir Winston Churchill
Just sold my ipod to my dad for $40 (bought it for 35 like a month ago). Figured since I never used to thing very much at all, I could get my money back to use towards my new bass (and some for a date ).

Is it wierd that I hate listening to music? I mean, sometimes I listen to music, but im not a person who is constantly listening, sometimes music gets on my nerves and it bothers me. I cant work with music really, or do anything while listening to music, its a distraction to me. Everytime I go out, I cant stand having an ipod in my pockets and music in my ear, it just sounds like noise.

Weird that a musician like me hates music
pinga
Yes you are weird. I can't work WITHOUT music, unfortunately they don't allow mp3 players in A2 exams...

Also this is a rough draft:

Too detailed? Not detailed enough? I've left out a few of the finer details like tone as there would be too many variables. I'm also going to leave out certain brands such as Dean and BC Rich that would plague my conscience if someone were to buy one on my advice. I think I can get a few basses for each outcome of the tree but if we can't find any for some then I can just delete them or put "No such bass" in the box.

Also I am doing from a British point of view. Not just because its easier but because its an average between the low prices of the USA and the high prices of Australia, I suppose I could put currency conversions on there too.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Dec 26, 2010,
Wow, I never would have expected another forum plan.

Anyways, my holiday intake was pretty good, I got a pedalboard, patch cables, my friend's old Xbox 360 (and his games), a Muse tour pack, Rush tour shirt, HD video camera, and lots of gift cards among other miscellaneous stuff.
Last edited by edgeyyz at Dec 26, 2010,
Quote by edgeyyz
Wow, I never would have expected another forum plan.

Anyways, my holiday intake was pretty good, I got a pedalboard, patch cables, my friend's old Xbox 360 (and his games), a Muse tour pack, Rush tour shirt, HD video camera, and lots of gift cards among other miscellaneous stuff.

If you ever get live (and if I ever get live), let's **** some shit up!
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Sounds cool! Except I'm not sure what games to get now besides Fallout New Vegas (and 3 eventually).

Also, I won't dedicate to a month yet, but I'd be interested in doing a BPOTM sometime in the not-so-distant future on Jon Stockman.

So one of these bad boys will be showing up on my doorstep in the next few days.
Quote by skater dan0
Will there be anything to hook it up to arriving on your doorstep in the same few days?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
No A friend of mine who lives like 100 metres down the road has just bought a Little Giant and one of the new 4x10 isometric cabs from Orange, so I can try it out round his whenever. I just need to save up for a cab and then I shall have a doom worthy rig.
Quote by skater dan0
WHAT THE HELL IS THIS??!?!

Incidentally, I am rather drunk after too much whisky and port.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.