Hi,

I'm planning on buying a Vox AC4TV with some money I received for Christmas . I was just wondering, do you think a tube replacement is necessary? I'm looking for a nice bluesy overdrive, similar to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuRhaDrnlWo (love Buddy Guy!). And if I did switch the tubes that come stock, would I need to get my amp biased? Thanks!
Tube replacement may improve the sound some, but i dont think its immediately necessary. And no there is no need for biasing its a cathode based amp.
Ok, thanks! =) If I were to replace the tubes are there any particularly good brands out there to look for? I am a total noob when it comes to tubes :P
you don't need to bias.

Just be careful- the vox ac4, for some annoying reason that probably made sense to the marketing department, and unlike the vast majority of other tube amps, has the entire circuit open when you open the back to switch tubes- you can die, in other words, if you don't know what you're doing (even if it's off).

Which tubes you'd replace the stock ones (sovtek, I think) with depends on what type of tone you want, whether you want more or less headroom, etc. etc. Most decent-brand tubes are an upgrade on sovteks, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A good but semi expensive brands are JJ's too. but Phla is right its all open circuitry so be careful.

This site shows all the JJs, what they do, and lets you buy them. The AC4 runs on an EL84 power amp and a 12AX7 pre amp. http://eurotubes.com/
Last edited by Charley2715 at Dec 26, 2010,
so I can put any two in and it would work fine, no problem?
well any 12ax7 and any el84, yeah.

And also be careful you don't electrocute yourself.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?