Page 1 of 140
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
3,607 IQ
i almost accidentally named it "Ch-Ch-Ch-Chat Thread 2001" and we would have had to talk about 2001.

i realized my mistake.

you could still talk about space odysseys or the chronic or whatever though.

here is a stock image of a small child wearing Groucho Marx glasses:

let's talk.
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
Happy New Year

(I enjoyed 2001)
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
3,607 IQ
or an awesome year! and if it is terrible, it is only because the stock image disappeared.

i finished tallying the results of the 2010 Year End Vote, but i'm going to wait until morning to post them.

i'm all about the suspense.
Monkeygone2hvn
127 IQ
New chat means more talking?

hopefully haha.

On another note...I saw Julian Casablancas at Disneyland today, it was kind of odd.
jimmy_neutron
ROCKET EDITION!
1,902 IQ
I see no image -_-

I dont really remember much about 2001 to be honest. I were only a young 'un. This year was gonna ba awesome, till this morning, when i broke the last of my new year's resolutions :/
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
3,607 IQ
Quote by Monkeygone2hvn
New chat means more talking?

hopefully haha.

On another note...I saw Julian Casablancas at Disneyland today, it was kind of odd.

1. i would hope.
2. probably just fulfilling a childhood fantasy.

Quote by jimmy_neutron
I see no image -_-

I dont really remember much about 2001 to be honest. I were only a young 'un. This year was gonna ba awesome, till this morning, when i broke the last of my new year's resolutions :/

1. it is back!
2. what i remember about 2001: i did not like my english teacher, but then midway through the year, she just up and left. french class intimidated me because i skipped ninth grade french and was with the tenth graders. those are the big things.
Hereiwas
"Alex"
2,000 IQ
That list was very mean spirited.

My memory of 2001 is not liking having to go to school, and refusing to learn to read on the grounds of it never having been necessary yet.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
Quote by Monkeygone2hvn

My brother's convinced he saw Sarah Michelle Gellar when we were leaving Disney Land (in 2001). I still don't believe him.

Quote by Hereiwas
My memory of 2001 is not liking having to go to school, and refusing to learn to read on the grounds of it never having been necessary yet.

That makes me feel so old.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
somewhat_here
sequestered ruser
904 IQ
holy crap how did i miss out on that Big Blood album.

i think in 2001 i was overly conscious about my weight. and asianavenue.com.
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
If you're that bored you could help tell me how to improve this Captain Beefheart tab (below)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiUHZBaMfxM

Quote by somewhat_here
holy crap how did i miss out on that Big Blood album.

Which one? Both were excellent.
Attachments:
Captain Beefheart - Too much time.txt

RateYourMusic
Last edited by Andrewbiles at Jan 9, 2011,
jimmy_neutron
ROCKET EDITION!
1,902 IQ
Double post, because its how I roll:

Just listened to Kanye West's new album. Its not bad, completely threw my expectations. However i cant seem to find a thread..

Convention i assume would put him over in the Other forum, but given that his last two albums have gotten such acclaim from the "alt/indie scene", would he go down better over here?
somewhat_here
sequestered ruser
904 IQ
great tab. i bought that album after i saw that on your blog.

been listening to Dark Country Magic, didn't realize there were two.
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
Thank you (re: tab). It's one of those that I've been staring at and questioning for a couple of weeks, not entirely convinced so I really appreciate the thumbs up. Might brush up the ending and then submit it.
Fantastic album isn't it? So many beautiful songs on it. I think 'Too much time', 'My head is my only house...' and 'Her eyes are a blue million miles' rank as my three most listened to songs of last year.
Really sad that he passed away.

There were in fact three Big Blood releases last year. 'Dark Country Magic' is my favourite, very easy to listen to and it fits almost any mood. There was also 'Dead Songs' on Time Lag and a limited Moondog tribute cassette.

Really getting into 'Obscured by Clouds' (Pink Floyd) this week. I'm sure if it wasn't released between 'Meddle' and 'DSOTM' is would get more acclaim. 'Wot's... uh the deal?' and 'Childhood's End' are especially good.

Not that fussed about Kanye West so haven't listened to the latest.

RateYourMusic
Hereiwas
"Alex"
2,000 IQ
Quote by jimmy_neutron
Double post, because its how I roll:

Just listened to Kanye West's new album. Its not bad, completely threw my expectations. However i cant seem to find a thread..

Convention i assume would put him over in the Other forum, but given that his last two albums have gotten such acclaim from the "alt/indie scene", would he go down better over here?

I listened to it in short film format. I didn't rally think much of the songs, they were okay though. (Is the gil scott heron/bon iver one off the album? I liked it the most)

Has anyone seen the film? I'm curious what people thought of it...
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
3,607 IQ
i was gone only a week, but it felt like so much longer. tell me some stories. what is the news?

Quote by Andrewbiles
Thank you (re: tab). It's one of those that I've been staring at and questioning for a couple of weeks, not entirely convinced so I really appreciate the thumbs up. Might brush up the ending and then submit it.
Fantastic album isn't it? So many beautiful songs on it. I think 'Too much time', 'My head is my only house...' and 'Her eyes are a blue million miles' rank as my three most listened to songs of last year.

There were in fact three Big Blood releases last year. 'Dark Country Magic' is my favourite, very easy to listen to and it fits almost any mood. There was also 'Dead Songs' on Time Lag and a limited Moondog tribute cassette.

Really getting into 'Obscured by Clouds' (Pink Floyd) this week. I'm sure if it wasn't released between 'Meddle' and 'DSOTM' is would get more acclaim. 'Wot's... uh the deal?' and 'Childhood's End' are especially good.

Not that fussed about Kanye West so haven't listened to the latest.

re Beefheart: i was sad, but i can't be too sad because anytime that i think about him, i wind up thinking about how i know this shop owner that taunted the shop across the street by playing Trout Mask Replica over and over.

re Big Blood: what is that Moondog cassette? it seems like it might have flew under my radar.

Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
new low album this year?

i know, right?
somewhat_here
sequestered ruser
904 IQ
Quote by Andrewbiles

i think the lick before the last chorus goes like this:
|-12/14-14/12----------------------
|-12/14-14/12-12/10-10/7-7/5---
|----------------11/ 9--9 /6-6/4---
|-------------------------------------
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
Ah yes, thank you. Sounds better. I think it may slide back up to the 10th fret (b string - 9th g) at the end.

I keep hearing more and more lead guitar parts in the song. Need to burn off a CD to hear it through proper speakers on something easily rewindable (the one downside to vinyl).

Quote by uhh_me?
re Beefheart: i was sad, but i can't be too sad because anytime that i think about him, i wind up thinking about how i know this shop owner that taunted the shop across the street by playing Trout Mask Replica over and over.

re Big Blood: what is that Moondog cassette? it seems like it might have flew under my radar.

Haha. Got to love street wars. I'm imagining the shop across the street was a hairdressers for some reason...

'Night Terrors on the Isle of Louis Hardin' was the BB cassette. They sold out pretty quickly. Last time I checked Norman Records had a copy but that was a couple of months ago. I'll try and remember to upload it at some point.

RIP Trish Keenan

RateYourMusic
Last edited by Andrewbiles at Jan 16, 2011,
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
3,607 IQ
by and large, i think that i'm done with guitar. i've made similar declarations before, but, at the moment, it doesn't do much for me. i feel like i'm too terrible at it, especially for as long as i've played, to justify continuing to play.

i'm sure that in two weeks time i'll be fiddling around again.
Quote by Andrewbiles
Haha. Got to love street wars. I'm imagining the shop across the street was a hairdressers for some reason...

'Night Terrors on the Isle of Louis Hardin' was the BB cassette. They sold out pretty quickly. Last time I checked Norman Records had a copy but that was a couple of months ago. I'll try and remember to upload it at some point.

it was an "irish shop" selling irish-style gifts.

and i don't have an actual copy of that one, but sort of i do. did you also hear the Operators and Things cassette? two of the songs on it are as good as anything they've ever done.

also, and big news, new Grouper album early this year.
K-Lizzle
in the hizzle.
1,320 IQ
Wussup beeeeeeeyotches?

Wow, it's been a hot minute since I've stuck my nose in here. Chalk it up to a bunch of unnecessarily inconvenient things happening to me at once. Ah wells. How goes it?
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
Quote by uhh_me?
by and large, i think that i'm done with guitar. i've made similar declarations before, but, at the moment, it doesn't do much for me. i feel like i'm too terrible at it, especially for as long as i've played, to justify continuing to play.

i'm sure that in two weeks time i'll be fiddling around again.

it was an "irish shop" selling irish-style gifts.

and i don't have an actual copy of that one, but sort of i do. did you also hear the Operators and Things cassette? two of the songs on it are as good as anything they've ever done.

also, and big news, new Grouper album early this year.

I know that guitar feeling. I've been playing for nearly a decade now (damn!) and still can't improvise a decent, let alone good, solo. Had a couple of phases where I haven't touched a guitar for a year and come back to it and learnt 50 songs. But I've never dug into theory or stuck at tricky solos to really progress techniques or speed.
Determined to feel some improvement at the moment so I'm trying harder with finger picking - learning 'On doing an evil deed blues' (John Fahey), 'Blues run the game' (Jackson C Frank) and 'Angi' (Davey Graham) - and have learnt some songs that I used to struggle with - 'Happiness is a warm gun' (Beatles) and 'Paranoid Android' (Radiohead).

I don't own a copy of the 'Operators & Things' cassette - it was also released as part of the Peasant Magik box set - but definitely rate it highly, although '& The Bleedin Hearts', 'The Grove' and the latest are the releases I tend to play a lot more.

RateYourMusic
somewhat_here
sequestered ruser
904 IQ
tea drinkers of a+i, what tea besides rooibos doesn't taste horrid.
green tea is bland. earl grey stinks. orange pekoe doesn't do anything for me. jasmine tea i only enjoy with msg-laden foods. chai seems out of place in every situation.
Last edited by somewhat_here at Jan 25, 2011,
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
3,607 IQ
Quote by K-Lizzle
Wussup beeeeeeeyotches?

Wow, it's been a hot minute since I've stuck my nose in here. Chalk it up to a bunch of unnecessarily inconvenient things happening to me at once. Ah wells. How goes it?

what is up, big-k? can that be your nickname now?

glad to see you back, even if it is just to say hello.

Quote by Andrewbiles
I know that guitar feeling. I've been playing for nearly a decade now (damn!) and still can't improvise a decent, let alone good, solo. Had a couple of phases where I haven't touched a guitar for a year and come back to it and learnt 50 songs. But I've never dug into theory or stuck at tricky solos to really progress techniques or speed.
Determined to feel some improvement at the moment so I'm trying harder with finger picking - learning 'On doing an evil deed blues' (John Fahey), 'Blues run the game' (Jackson C Frank) and 'Angi' (Davey Graham) - and have learnt some songs that I used to struggle with - 'Happiness is a warm gun' (Beatles) and 'Paranoid Android' (Radiohead).

I don't own a copy of the 'Operators & Things' cassette - it was also released as part of the Peasant Magik box set - but definitely rate it highly, although '& The Bleedin Hearts', 'The Grove' and the latest are the releases I tend to play a lot more.

really, that is probably what i should do. that fingerpicking thing has been what interested me from the start, but i never got any good at it.

and maybe we should make a Big Blood thread or some sort of "Avant Folk" sort of general thread.

Quote by somewhat_here
tea drinkers of a+i, what tea besides rooibos doesn't taste horrid.
green tea is bland. earl grey stinks. orange pekoe doesn't do anything for me. jasmine tea i only enjoy with msg-laden foods. chai seems out of place in every situation.

i'm a big fan of ginseng oolong.
K-Lizzle
in the hizzle.
1,320 IQ
Actually, I prefer Dennis Lyxzén. He's the best Swede ever.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
Ulrika-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka

Quote by uhh_me?
really, that is probably what i should do. that fingerpicking thing has been what interested me from the start, but i never got any good at it.

and maybe we should make a Big Blood thread or some sort of "Avant Folk" sort of general thread.

Yeah, it's certainly tough to get into (fingerpicking).
Try this one - song / tab. Bars 29 & 30 (on the tab) are pretty damn awkward at first but the tempo is gentle and it's not too complicated with the fretting hand.
Suddenly finding it all a bit easier now - hardest part is remembering the patterns - but I'd love to get to a standard where I can confidently play something like 'Bean Time' by Leo Kottke or have the classical guitar skill of tremoloing the high strings and playing bass accompaniments. It's going to take some practice.

I guess Big Blood come out with enough new material to keep a good thread going. Should be a new one in the next few months on Digitalis (double LP).

RateYourMusic
snipelfritz
Senior Fun Correspondent
1,554 IQ
Guess who's back from a 30 day ban?!!?!?!? I spent a bunch of time improving my life and getting some serious work done since I was last on here...

...ok that was a lie. Let me comment on a few issues already discussed in the past two pages:

-I have one very strong memory of 2001, but I think it's best we not delve into that subject. You all know what I'm talking about.

-There is nothing alternative nor independent about Kanye West. Take that shit somewhere else. The mere mention of that man enrages me.

-You all have seriously disappointed me in not covering the most significant piece of news this month in this forum which I will promptly be starting a thread about.

EDIT: And according to those stereotype lists, I was the kind of kid who bought a kaleidoscope at Chuck E. Cheese. Well I would have if it weren't 50 damn tickets and I only had 37!!! Got stuck with the damn pencil case with that creepy Italian chef's face on it.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Jan 30, 2011,
sre9981
Woo!
802 IQ
I have become addicted to bluegrass. Banjo kicks it.

as for 2001, I hear there was some giant baby that appeared by the moon or something? I dunno, all I saw was some big black rectangle thing.

Also, I hear Jeff Mangum is playing at ATP? That's pretty nifty.
Monkeygone2hvn
127 IQ
I hear he's proposing some sort of tour and everything, maybe the return of NMH?!

Lately I've just been obsessed with John Fahey. That stuff is way too good.