Screaming Females announced more tour dates and one of them is in OKC so i'm going to do that. It's the day before Thanksgiving but who cares about Thanksgiving anyway?

It would be nice if it still wasn't a 4+ hour drive though
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I knows it. I might bring my sister(s) so I don't have to go alone though.

SHOULD I BRING EARPLUGS
yes

holy **** though beach house are incredible. I'm kind of accidentally listening to their whole discog right now and I'm on 'Walk in the Park' off Teen Dream, and it LITERALLY took my breath away. this girl is a ridiculous singer.
Beach House zzzzzzzz
pretty much the only band t-shirt i own is beach house. luv that band.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
they do, don't they^
i like devotion and the s/t best but i don't have the self titled one so i don't listen to it as much. i have always liked it though so i don't know why. they were very very good live when i saw them a bit before bloom came out. don't listen to bloom or teen dream much but still think they're solid.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
also anyone know in or know any cool bands in london that would want to help set up a show in november? long shot, but eh
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
nope but let me know when/if you play.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Congrats homes. I haven't listened to nmh in a long time feels like.
Still no London but the other dates if anyone is interested

Oct 30|3:00pm Norræna Husið (Nordic House) Reykjavík, Iceland
Oct 30|4:00pm Studentakjallarin Reykjavik, Iceland
Oct 30|6:00pm Kaffibarinn Reykjavik, Iceland
Oct 31|2:30pm IÐA Zimsen Reykjavik, Iceland
Oct 31|5:00pm Laugavegur 74 Reykjavik, Iceland
Oct 31|6:00pm Volcano House Reykjavik, Iceland
Nov 1|5:00pm Reykjavik Backpackers Reykjavik, Iceland
Nov 1|6:00pm Volcano House Reykjavik, Iceland
Nov 1|7:00pm Bus Hostel Reykjavik, Iceland
Nov 2|1:00pm Reykjavik Natura Hotel Reykjavik, Iceland
Nov 2|3:00pm B5 Reykjavik, Iceland
Nov 2|4:30pm The English Pub Reykjavik, Iceland
Nov 2|8:00pm Bar 11 Reykjavik, Iceland
Nov 3|1:00pm Reykjavik Natura Hotel Reykjavik, Iceland
Nov 3|3:00pm Eymundsson Austurstræti Reykjavik, Iceland
Nov 3|7:00pm Loft Hostel Reykjavik, Iceland
Nov 8|3:00pm The Wharf Macclesfield, UK
Nov 9|9:00pm House Show Manchester, UK
Nov 10|3:00pm The Wharf Macclesfield, UK
Nov 12|9:30pm Pop In Paris, France
Nov 13|7:30pm Le Motel Paris, France
Nov 14|9:00pm Mundwerk Thun, Switzerland
Nov 15|8:00pm Davidseck Basel, Switzerland
Nov 16|8:00pm Folkcafé St. Gallen, Switzerland
Nov 18|8:00pm Badeschiff Wien Vienna, Austria
Nov 19|1:00pm Kluboksiegarnia Glosna Poznan, Poland
Nov 20|9:00pm TBA Wroclaw, Poland
Nov 23|8:00pm Guitar Salon Enkhuizen, Holland
Nov 25|7:00pm Barbara's Living Room Cologne, Germany
Nov 26|8:00pm Nirma's Living Room Cologne, Germany
Nov 27|8:00pm Flohberg Pub Cologne, Germany
Nov 28|8:00pm House Show Kassel, Germany
Nov 30|8:00pm Franzis Wetzlar, Germany
Dec 1|2:30pm House Show Cologne, Germany
Dec 3|8:00pm Edelkiosk Frankfurt, German
Dec 5|9:00pm Húsið Ísafjörður, Iceland
Dec 6|9:00pm Húsið Ísafjörður, Iceland
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
I'm late on this, but report back from Mountain Oasis: NMH was amazing. Chromatics was great. How to Dress Well was great and (ATTN: n8) played 4 new songs and have a new album coming out next year but shhh it's a secret. Purity Ring was great as always. Baths was fun and Will screams a lot live. Nine Inch Nails was great (#pleb). Cut Copy were great even though I'd never listened to them before. Zola Jesus was really good. Godspeed was good even though I don't really know their music. Bosnian Rainbows were really good. Autre Ne Veut was good. Disclosure was kinda boring. Daniel Johnston was alright.
>Daniel Johnston
>alright
they are good but a really intense guy was trying to talk to me about them and he put me off.

(I don't like the new magik markers song )
CuSO4

Some of it is good. A lot is intense to the point of sounding hokey. Angels of Light is my preferred Gira project.
I dunno if i'm gonna have enough money to go see Screamales
So I think i'm gonna start working towards my teacher certification because I don't want grad school and I don't know what else so I figure I should have some sort of job skill when I graduate so I don't end up working the night shift at walmart 4 lyfe. Also I think being a teacher would be nice. Help people, have free time, brainwash children with my #knowledge, etc.
if i can't get a job at a community college or find some pencil-pusher office job after i finish my MA, i think i will probably just become a high school teacher, 'cuz i remembered i am lazy & unambitious. i was super naive & thought i could go to grad school & be all solipsistic & avoid the horror & alienation of the "real world," but now i am cynical & think all the work people produce is just disingenuous careerist garbage. i'm so over student life, i just wanna work 40 hours & have the evenings & weekends to myself.
I've been using reddit more and more as a time waster recently. most of it is shit but I stumbled across the teacher subreddit and holy crap they seem stupid. this is the most upvoted thing atm

like yeah fair enough but ugh, memes.

I definitely would not be the cool teacher.
I'm gonna be the cool teacher who has a Vertigo poster hanging up in his room. Most people I know who are/have become teachers don't know shit about things though. In one of my history classes we had to do a research paper and this girl asked me what I was doing mine over and I said Emma Goldman and she was like "who?" and that was the semester she was to graduate and become a teacher.

I mean if dummies like that can be teachers surely I can? I think i'll go the alternative certification route though.

Quote by neidnarb11890
if i can't get a job at a community college or find some pencil-pusher office job after i finish my MA, i think i will probably just become a high school teacher, 'cuz i remembered i am lazy & unambitious. i was super naive & thought i could go to grad school & be all solipsistic & avoid the horror & alienation of the "real world," but now i am cynical & think all the work people produce is just disingenuous careerist garbage. i'm so over student life, i just wanna work 40 hours & have the evenings & weekends to myself.

For realz, everybody talks about how bad the pay is for high school teachers, but look at all the time they get off. Since I am lazy and want free time that sounds like the most likely option for me.

Is grad school hard?
i wouldn't say it's hard per se (ask me again in two weeks, though). i just totally lack self-discipline & time management skills. i'm not really self-motivated enough to try to write journal articles & conference papers & stuff, so i don't see myself ever getting a high(er) paying tenured position, so dedicating the next seven years of my life to getting a PhD just because i don't feel like trying to find a job seems pretty quixotic. plus, even if i did do all that stuff, it's not like anything i wrote would be terribly important or have any impact in the grand scheme of things.

you can definitely be a teacher. i had never even taught a day in my life when i applied to grad school & now i am teaching a freshman composition class. you don't have to be super intelligent, you just have to be a few steps ahead of the people you're teaching. it's not a super great & exciting job, but it is not hard. sure, you'll never get rich, but you can live comfortably.
"Racing, chasing, hunting drives people crazy. Trying to get rich ties people in knots." I don't even care what I do for money at this point. I am a factotum. My life is basically a long version of that montage in Bottle Rocket where Anthony is working various menial jobs with Bob Mapplethorpe just without the youth soccer.

I would like to coach youth soccer though. Sports are really fun at that age when the rules/strategy/results are meaningless and the game is a means with no end.

But yeah I know whatchu mean Tom. Sometimes I think going back to school would be neat because I still enjoy reading and learning and if anything I'd probably be a better student now than I was when I was a recalcitrant undergrad who read Wodehouse instead of what was assigned but then I realize I have little desire to produce my own work and the work I would produce in that case would basically only exist for the purposes of itself and that maybe incurring debt just so someone would have to listen to my opinions on Blood Meridian would ultimately be a bad move for me personally.

For what it is worth I think you would make a good teacher though. You seem to be pretty grounded and appropriately analytical and even if you are not wholly enthusiastic about the occupation I think you could inspire a few kids a year to read independently. Which I consider high praise.

That common core stuff seems like nasty business though.
Grad school is hard if you are a dope like me and are trying to work full-time while going to school near full-time. Don't do that. It is a bad idea.
why even finish your m.a. tom?

i have a sort of dead semester ahead of me, it looks like. i could maybe work toward teaching certification. i don't know what i'm ****ing doing. i will have to do a year abroad in france if i'm gonna finish a french major at this shit school. **** france - but jesus, **** america. then i will have a degree in french from a ****ing state school in tennessee. so like why? minoring in philosophy, failing via not writing papers. i don't wanna do anything to serve capital. high school teaching has appeal via time off, plus radicalizing kids. **** academia - universities are replacing professors with test designers and poverty-wage adjuncts - the real education is disappearing and even the information distribution is inefficient. intellectual culture is so prim, so slow - serious research has gotta decentralize and move to the internet. really need to get out of rural tennessee - but then what? i want to create consciousness - somehow. i wanna be like iggy pop but not so tediously surviving. i wanna be like kathleen hanna. i wanna make people sick of comfort, uncomfortable surviving. burger records - passéist deadweight infants - they have their place but i wanna do better. i should live life more rad. where can i live? squats seem cool - vulgar junkies seem misguided. despite how 'crazy depressed nihilist' this looks i'm happy - not crazy enough anymore, gotta build that back up - the nihilism is active but only potential. music is pretty boring and fetishistic - mallarmé is great if only his nothingness would explode into materiality. tzara is great if only those sonneries à la fin would turn everybody into children. i wanna make everybody fall in love but you can't read shakespeare when you work 47 hours a week. you have to have faith already to have faith - how do you make faith - you have to show people they can do something insane. gotta build up faith and do something insane. look at this asshole.
as a high school student, i only have one teacher that has actually tried to teach us anything. like actually teach us how to read through things and study and take notes. that's my ap world history teacher. she's rad except she makes us watch john green videos. **** john green and everything he represents. my english teacher is shitty. she's knows a lot about philosophy and psychology and her room is filled with books by camus and jung and the sort. i don't know why she's teaching english because all she does is make us annotate short stories and give us boring powerpoint presentations (that use memes). and she gave me a 47 on my perfect animal farm (which i wasn't a fan of anyways) annotations. **** her. my ap economics teacher is cool and he's also my soccer coach (i say my soccer coach but i'm not actually on the team yet, i tried out yesterday and we have another day of tryouts next week. i've never played soccer and know nothing about it but i was bored and it seemed easy) and i haven't really learned a whole lot about economics but that's because i don't pay attention so i can't blame him for that. my algebra 2 teacher is nice and she's pregnant and math is really easy for me so that class is whatever. i somehow ended up in a computer class and that's pretty awful. all but a few people are nerdy awkward kids that wear plaid cargo shorts and listen to awful music and are in the school band and probably spend way too much time on reddit. i'm glad i'm not in band anymore because i would be like that if i was. it's contagious. i still don't really know what i'm doing or what i want to do. i've been trying to just do and say stuff without thinking about it or planning out everything in my head. just like whatever comes naturally. i get sad every once in a while but school is cancelled tomorrow because of weather so i guess things are looking up.
you're a stone fox
1. you punks need to get a tiny house
2. economics sucks
3. Animal Farm is great
4. soccer rules
5. French is c'est magnifique
6. my school is "selling" a bunch of their old books and shit for 50 cents per bag. i bought two Hemingway books. one is *I THINK* The Sun Also Rises and the other is a big ol compilation of short stories and excerpts from his novels. I think there might be a full book in there too. I'm just gonna go look right now
7. OK so one is For Whom the Bell Tolls and the other one is a Hemingway Reader which includes short stories, The Sun Also Rises in full, and excerpts from most of his novels.
8. They also have the complete series of Miami Vice on VHS for some reason but i'm totally gonna buy that monday
9. It's been a pretty okay semester for me. I have missed my sociology class more than i've been there because it's ridiculously easy. my social psychology class has been interesting. my Federal Period of American History class has been solid, i've learned quite a bit about how dumb the founding fathers were. my Gilded Age class has been pretty great, makes me wanna watch There Will Be Blood + Deadwood.
10. i can't enroll for next semester until the fafsa thing goes through because my mom did it late. hopefully it will go in cuz i would be bummed about missing next semester cuz it's all modern history classes i'm taking (murcan and european) along with Criminology and then something else TBD and then fall semester and then i am done with college. i've really kindof rekindled my love for learning about history this semester which is why i have regained interest in becoming a teacher. also because i've considered almost everything that helps people from joining peace corps to americorps to becoming a social worker but right infront of me is this opportunity to teach and make a difference in peoples lives that way.
11. if i become a teacher and teach world history i will make my classes watch Bicycle Thieves. if i become a teacher and teach american history i'll make them watch There Will Be Blood (or Back to the Future?!?!?!)
12. my family life still sucks and it is frustrating and disheartening most of the time.
13. i met up with one of my favorite people in the world over Thanksgiving break who used to be a super fundie baptist. now she is still a super Christian but a super liberal one. she has been dating a dude who is transgendered. so we have fantastic conversations about life and about how people are always missing the point about it and shit. it's really uplifting and inspiring. i let them borrow some Mountain Goats albums and some Buddhist literature before they left town.
14. if i ever decided to keep a journal or something i would totally write it in this format.
15. Tommy: i understand the laziness and lack of discipline. you should finish it if you want to, but yeah i agree that it's kindof a silly concept, academic writing. you should become an overseas english teacher and make a difference in people's lives.
16. Iluvpowerchords: you should go back to school to become a youth soccer coach
17. uhh_me?: you have ambition and stuff so wtf are you doing on internet forums still?
18. bars: do a year abroad in France but escape and don't come back.
19. n8: sup
20. i want to erase my internet identity on UG primarily by changing my username and deleting all of the embarrassing threads i've made. i actually already deleted a ton of threads a few weeks ago. i don't like that my current username is also my twitter handle and is also what (a lot of) people call me in real life. is it still possible to get it changed?
Last edited by bradulator at Dec 6, 2013,