Quote by bradulator
i don't like that my current username is also my twitter handle and is also what (a lot of) people call me in real life. is it still possible to get it changed?

Oh dear that is unfortunate. Can Collin change your name? I think he may have that power now (HE IS AS UNTO A GOD!!!). I resigned myself to the silliness of mine long ago. I think if 15/16yr old me knew how much time he was gonna spend here he might have thought a bit harder about his call sign.

I actually am pretty sure the Peace Corps would be neat for me but they want a recommendation from someone you've volunteered with and I have not volunteered for anything since I was coming up with my username and it turns out meaningful volunteer work is harder to find than I thought and I don't really want to do any of it anyway; it would just be for the express purposes of signing up for the peace corps.

I think I might just take an outside shot at an old professor or something and apply as is. My personal statements will be dank and I have spent the last 7yrs of my life working with memory impaired elderly people and developmentally disabled children so I feel like I'd do alright. **** it I think I'll start my app tomorrow I speculate too much. "Doing by not doing" is cool and all but sometimes you just gotta DO.

Gee I hope I don't get called in to sub today. I would hate to work on 3.5 hrs sleep and am out of bread for PBJs.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
We should all get a punk house.

Yeah?

absolutely.
Quote by Saint78
as a high school student, i only have one teacher that has actually tried to teach us anything. like actually teach us how to read through things and study and take notes. that's my ap world history teacher. she's rad except she makes us watch john green videos. **** john green and everything he represents. my english teacher is shitty. she's knows a lot about philosophy and psychology and her room is filled with books by camus and jung and the sort. i don't know why she's teaching english because all she does is make us annotate short stories and give us boring powerpoint presentations (that use memes). and she gave me a 47 on my perfect animal farm (which i wasn't a fan of anyways) annotations. **** her. my ap economics teacher is cool and he's also my soccer coach (i say my soccer coach but i'm not actually on the team yet, i tried out yesterday and we have another day of tryouts next week. i've never played soccer and know nothing about it but i was bored and it seemed easy) and i haven't really learned a whole lot about economics but that's because i don't pay attention so i can't blame him for that. my algebra 2 teacher is nice and she's pregnant and math is really easy for me so that class is whatever. i somehow ended up in a computer class and that's pretty awful. all but a few people are nerdy awkward kids that wear plaid cargo shorts and listen to awful music and are in the school band and probably spend way too much time on reddit. i'm glad i'm not in band anymore because i would be like that if i was. it's contagious. i still don't really know what i'm doing or what i want to do. i've been trying to just do and say stuff without thinking about it or planning out everything in my head. just like whatever comes naturally. i get sad every once in a while but school is cancelled tomorrow because of weather so i guess things are looking up.

yeah, yeah you are good. keep negating. but strive for posi - negate the bulk but affirm the whole. i recommend reading a ton (shit that challenges & inspires u) & being in love & thinking hard / taking good notes on both. you have such a good head start - you "still" don't know what you're doing? - dude you are so young, you're good. just like keep being good. believe in yrself & **** the system.

animal farm is middle of the road shit. though at least it's cuter than 1984. **** england/english. teaching english abroad kinda sucks b/c it's the language of expanding capital - the difference it makes in ppl's lives sucks. finland seems cooler than england. **** england.
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
why even finish your m.a. tom?

because no matter what i tell myself about my reasons for doing so, the only real excuse i'd have for dropping out is being a lazy sod. i'm getting paid to teach freshman comp. classes, so over the next year & a half i can continue to save up money, earn a graduate degree, and get teaching experience. if i drop out, all i have is a useless BA & a spotty history of part-time minimum wage jobs.
Quote by bradulator
15. Tommy: i understand the laziness and lack of discipline. you should finish it if you want to, but yeah i agree that it's kindof a silly concept, academic writing. you should become an overseas english teacher and make a difference in people's lives.

overseas english teaching is an imperialist scheme.
i know some people who went to korea to teach english after college. it's something i have in the back of my mind in case my life ever really falls apart & i have nothing to live for at home.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I actually am pretty sure the Peace Corps would be neat for me but they want a recommendation from someone you've volunteered with and I have not volunteered for anything since I was coming up with my username and it turns out meaningful volunteer work is harder to find than I thought and I don't really want to do any of it anyway; it would just be for the express purposes of signing up for the peace corps.

i've also thought about joining the peace corps if my life ever really falls apart. i was recently thinking about trying to volunteer at an animal shelter or something, just 'cuz i spend a lot of time alone in my apartment when i am not in class & it can get shitty & depressing & maybe that would be rewarding?

there's also the possibility of the band becoming more of a 'serious thing,' so i'm not about to up & leave the country for my early-mid 20's. would rather live in a punk haus.
U guise I was a sixth grade orchestra teacher today.

It was pree fun. I did not realize how easy music teachers have it. Their day mostly consists of small group lessons that are largely voluntary so the people who come generally want to be there. And then you get one big group jamb sesh a day to rawk shit out. The kid who plays the bass had a lesson by himself and he liked my dalek socks so I taught him to play the bass line to the classic Doctor Who theme on his upright.

Quote by neidnarb11890
volunteer at an animal shelter or something

If you do that, There Will Be Babes.

Also if yr band gets serious I will deff not puss out next time I have a chance to go to a show.

But yeah even the Peace Corps mostly just feel like a good idea because I am waist deep in my third "post college slump year" and still have no ambition at all and it seems like an easy way to hide it. Perhaps I should just try to sort my shit here?

Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
absolutely.

Sweet. Where should our P. haus be? I feel like we have been priced clear outta the northeast at this point and it is too crowded anyway. North Carolina seems dece cuz there's still a lot of red states squares to scare but also it is getting artsy and also merge records. There is also always Oregon (you know Due'd be down) but it seems rather obvious at this point and also might even not be cheap.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
U guise I was a sixth grade orchestra teacher today.

you are substitute teaching?
how is that? i am probably gonna try to do it post-MA if i can't get a "real" job right away. are you still living in Allston?
If you do that, There Will Be Babes.

(also thought of this.)
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Sweet. Where should our P. haus be? I feel like we have been priced clear outta the northeast at this point and it is too crowded anyway. North Carolina seems dece cuz there's still a lot of red states squares to scare but also it is getting artsy and also merge records. There is also always Oregon (you know Due'd be down) but it seems rather obvious at this point and also might even not be cheap.

bro don't lead me on, i'm potentially serious. i could go like almost anywhere. i do favor warm weather over cool, and maybe 'getting artsy' over 'artsy'. also i hate cars. birth of flower would really make a good 'punk house mascot', i feel.

substitute teaching, teaching outside the usa are things i have thought of. idk what the peace corps is really, though i have thought of that - don't think i trust it. feel like i could do a wide variety of things - my main value, i think, is owning time - working >35 hours a week seems like insupportable.
Last edited by █▐▌█▐▌ at Dec 6, 2013,
Quote by Saint78
as a high school student, i only have one teacher that has actually tried to teach us anything. like actually teach us how to read through things and study and take notes. that's my ap world history teacher. she's rad except she makes us watch john green videos. **** john green and everything he represents. my english teacher is shitty. she's knows a lot about philosophy and psychology and her room is filled with books by camus and jung and the sort. i don't know why she's teaching english because all she does is make us annotate short stories and give us boring powerpoint presentations (that use memes). and she gave me a 47 on my perfect animal farm (which i wasn't a fan of anyways) annotations. **** her. my ap economics teacher is cool and he's also my soccer coach (i say my soccer coach but i'm not actually on the team yet, i tried out yesterday and we have another day of tryouts next week. i've never played soccer and know nothing about it but i was bored and it seemed easy) and i haven't really learned a whole lot about economics but that's because i don't pay attention so i can't blame him for that. my algebra 2 teacher is nice and she's pregnant and math is really easy for me so that class is whatever. i somehow ended up in a computer class and that's pretty awful. all but a few people are nerdy awkward kids that wear plaid cargo shorts and listen to awful music and are in the school band and probably spend way too much time on reddit. i'm glad i'm not in band anymore because i would be like that if i was. it's contagious. i still don't really know what i'm doing or what i want to do. i've been trying to just do and say stuff without thinking about it or planning out everything in my head. just like whatever comes naturally. i get sad every once in a while but school is cancelled tomorrow because of weather so i guess things are looking up.

My teachers right now are actually mostly pretty cool. My AP Language/Composition teacher has dyed hair and likes punk and cool movies and went to Riot Fest this year so that class has interesting conversations and she's a really good teacher. My weight lifting teacher (or coach, lol) is kind of a meathead but also doesn't make us do anything and I kinda like that class cause I've gotten a lot stronger and better looking (imo). My AP Calc teacher is a pretty good teacher I guess and she's really nice. But I hate that class. My newspaper teacher is super cool and that class is fun cause we just work on the newspaper and hang out and stuff.
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
idk what the peace corps is really, though i have thought of that - don't think i trust it.

imperialist scheme created by JFK in order to fight the commies
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
absolutely.

yeah, yeah you are good. keep negating. but strive for posi - negate the bulk but affirm the whole. i recommend reading a ton (shit that challenges & inspires u) & being in love & thinking hard / taking good notes on both. you have such a good head start - you "still" don't know what you're doing? - dude you are so young, you're good. just like keep being good. believe in yrself & **** the system.

animal farm is middle of the road shit. though at least it's cuter than 1984. **** england/english. teaching english abroad kinda sucks b/c it's the language of expanding capital - the difference it makes in ppl's lives sucks. finland seems cooler than england. **** england.

well i kinda know a few things that i want to do actually. part of me wants to do something "mediocre" and just be a high school football coach or something "blue collar" with manual labor" i would enjoy that. then another part of me wants to buy into the whole idea of capitalism and work at a high-paying high-stress (patrick bateman minus the serial killing and plus some emotions) job and live in luxury or own a business or something. i have a lot of ideas for businesses. most of them are marijuana themed (some of them are ok but probably pretty childish; marijuana can be pretty childish) because that's a rising industry and i can see lots of money coming out of its legalization. i also kinda just want to drop out of school and deal coke and be a criminal but that's not really a viable option since i'm a sissy and would get stabbed. i could also see myself being a personal trainer or something else athletic. there's a lot of things i would enjoy doing. i can't ever really see myself in a cubicle inputting data into a computer, but i think enjoying your life is more about the people you surround yourself with than what you're actually doing. i've had to do a lot of shitty and pointless tasks in my life, as i assume everyone has, but they're always more fun if you have someone interesting to talk to while doing them. like i have to make a video for my english class of a scene from Antigone, which could have been really irritating, but i'm in a group w/ one of my best friends (and 3 pretty girls) so i'm looking forward to it.
you're a stone fox
Quote by genghisgandhi
do they not teach you how to use paragraphs in your school?

i prefer to not since i am posting on this site in leisure and don't really feel like making every little thing look right. i guess paragraphs would probably make everything easier to read for everyone else though. i'll think about it, genghis.
you're a stone fox
Quote by neidnarb11890
you are substitute teaching?
how is that? i am probably gonna try to do it post-MA if i can't get a "real" job right away. are you still living in Allston?

Yeah I am subbing. It is pretty neat. There is no training or prepping or anything. You show up when called, introduce the lesson plan, watch the kids from each period corrupt it in their own special way, and hope no one dies. It is evocative of the ineffable mysteries of The Way.

I am in my hometown right now but am finding out I will be technically homeless again in January so I may end up migrating back up that way. Unless punk haus.

Finding and maintaining housing when you are idling/changing jobs a lot in your twenties is pretty arduous. The youngins of this thread should keep this in mind.

Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
my main value, i think, is owning time - working >35 hours a week seems like insupportable.

I feel like it wouldn't be so bad if the work was uninvolved but all of my full time jobs have required constant engagement/pressure to entertain and even work on weekends. Last year I was in charge of daily activities for memory impaired old ppl. Not having multiple things going at all times was not an option and I had to constantly come up with new stuff to impress the higher ups. I flared out like a supernova. I wish the low level office job where you read twitter all day and drink soda world wasn't such a tough world to break into. ;__; But yeah subbing would be good for you if you just wanted semi regular stuff. If you wake up in the morning and don't have anything you just sleep till a reasonable hour and watch Twin Peaks all day.

Also I really do want to go somewhere not the northeast.
if you wanna leave the northeast why are you gonna go back to allston? isn't the greater boston area like the most expensive place to live in new england?
way to disappoint yr father, nathaniel.

i'm a fan of long winding paragraphs made of long stream-of-consciousness sentences full of dashes that should really be paragraphs in and of themselves.

subbing seems solid - but twitter, television, soda, awful.

anyway guys it's been fun, take care, hmu about the 'punk house'.
disappointing yr father is the essence of punk, but becoming a high school football coach is the antithesis.
i kinda like twitter 'cuz it saves me the trouble of checking other sites to find music news/regular news/&c. still bitter about █▐▌█▐▌unfollowing me.
TV is ok. i am watching it now. i like some shows. commercials are fucking disgusting, though.

i will move into a punk house with you guys but it has to be in ct (or maybe w. mass).
Quote by neidnarb11890
if you wanna leave the northeast why are you gonna go back to allston? isn't the greater boston area like the most expensive place to live in new england?

I've no friends in any other even decently cool part of the country so it would take an act of significant bravery to actually set up shop somewhere else.

West Mass punk haus could be dece tho. I think I read in the New Yorker that Kim Gordon rents out a part of her house in Northampton or sumthin
Quote by dougiecrystals
just posting here cause i've now been a part of a forum sorta for 10 years. yay.

Feels weird, right?
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I've no friends in any other even decently cool part of the country so it would take an act of significant bravery to actually set up shop somewhere else.

West Mass punk haus could be dece tho. I think I read in the New Yorker that Kim Gordon rents out a part of her house in Northampton or sumthin

If it gets below 65 I'm crying. So mass is a no-go.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by lolmnt
If it gets below 65 I'm crying. So mass is a no-go.

But think of all the chances you'd have to layer swag!!!

Also long johns + sweatpants + cozy lounging sweater = happy times no matter how drafty our punk slum is.

And what is a pea coat really but a snuggie you can wear out and still have a chance to pull chicks?

But yeah what I said earlier abt the northeast overall.

Cheap and cold. Could do Chicago. But could you put up with the Cubs?!
Last edited by Iluvpowerchords at Dec 9, 2013,
It's 8 degrees and i'm crying
It's like 76 in my apartment and I'm wrapped in a blanket.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by bradulator
It's 8 degrees and i'm crying

we had soccer tryouts when it was 10 degrees. i didn't realize how cold it was and wore shorts and a t shirt. but i got 5 days off from school. today is the first day i've had it since thursday. my video project thing that i was looking forward to got cancelled. i think i'll make a movie with my friends or something and it will be awful but it will be fun and something to laugh at in a few years.
you're a stone fox
at a party last night we were using my iPod for music and some girl put on The Streets and holy shit it killed the whole vibe in the room. how the hell did I let something so awful stay on my iPod for so long?

EDIT - after listening to A Grand Don't Come For Free, I reverse my position, I like the Streets. it's definitely not party music though.
Last edited by genghisgandhi at Dec 14, 2013,
i like sharp darts but i haven't listened to any of their stuff besides that song.

hey due.
you're a stone fox
I had pneumonia when I was a baby so I was pretty much an antibiotics addict so now I get sick a lot and my mom feels bad about it
i used to get it like every year so i pretty much have the "oww my chest hurts i must have pneumonia" thing on lock.
I had pneumonia once a few years ago. Sucks.

And to make it even worse I was a big dummy and got the liquid antibiotic instead of the pills (cause that's when I wasn't good at taking pills cause of my gag reflex) and the liquid stuff tastes like distilled essence of a rusty metal barbell.
Last edited by ManInTheBox14 at Dec 16, 2013,
I had pneumonia when I was like 12. I remember I was so sick I couldn't even concentrate on playing Runescape, which really bummed me out.

I've had a very productive day musically, deleting a lot of stuff and downloading a lot more. also I've been listening to A Grand Don't Come For Free like nonstop.
my sister had pneumonia, so i suffered vicariously.

Have you seen any end of year lists yet? I think i got six of the Wire's top 50.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by genghisgandhi
I had pneumonia when I was like 12. I remember I was so sick I couldn't even concentrate on playing Runescape, which really bummed me out.

I've had a very productive day musically, deleting a lot of stuff and downloading a lot more. also I've been listening to A Grand Don't Come For Free like nonstop.

hah. someone reminded me of runescape like a week ago and now i can't stop playing it. i made the jv soccer team today lol. i am god awful. i'm alright with that tho. i'm doing it for fun. musically i've been listening to a lot of owen and yo la tengo and gucci mane for some reason.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Hereiwas
my sister had pneumonia, so i suffered vicariously.

Have you seen any end of year lists yet? I think i got six of the Wire's top 50.

feel like white people mostly released bad music this year