Page 5 of 140
only 9 pages? what is this nonsense...
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I guess I could post this here.

So I'm going to Bumbershoot in a few weeks, for the first two days, and I have no idea who to see besides Broken Social Scene and Minus the Bear.

http://bumbershoot.org/lineup/

Recs?
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Friday - Shabazz Palaces, Vetiver (they were pretty solid when i saw the maybe 5 or 6 years ago, haven't payed a whole lot of attention to them since)
Saturday - Thee Oh Sees, Dam-Funk
Sunday - Phantogram, Big Boi
See Comedy Bang Bang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And The Improvised Shakespeare Company, Eugene Mirman, Deon Cole, Anthony Jeselnik, Kyle Kinane, Rory Scovel, Hari Kondabolu, and Kurt Metzger.

Did you want non-comedy suggestions? >.>
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Aight, I'll look into those, I may go to some other one since my friend wanted to go, can't remember who it was though. And Bumbershoot apparently has really good comedy, you can go to one comedy event per day, I'll probably go to one or two.

EyeHateGod was on the bill originally, really bummed they aren't on there anymore.
Quote by lolmnt
I'll probably just wander around and see what's fun. I don't really mind anything live as long as it's fun.
Quote by lolmnt
some really good friends are moving away in a week. realized yesterday that all the friends i have left are drinking bros. so i've been drinking more and smoking up lately. and may be addicted to cigarettes. i don't know what to listen to anymore besides new order and krautrock and my record player's in the shop. on the plus side, it's been a great summer.

so what's new w everyone these days
enjoying the remaining days of summer, not really looking forward to going back to classes. at least i get to smoke all day at my apartment.

you check out slave ambient yet?
thanks for reminding me. will do soon.

anyone notice that kaputt, the record, is basically permutations of bizarre love triangle?
This has been the unsummeriest summer in the history of summers.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
as a person who just got a full time job after months of being unemployed, both are terrible in their own way. the novelty of having a job wore off much quicker than that of unemployment.

also, it is good to see everyone back. y'all doing well?
Quote by sre9981
As a person who now has a full time job, there is no such thing as summer any more.

I know, right? Fuck a full-time job. I want to be a slacker again.
Quote by somewhat_here
i don't know what to listen to anymore besides new order and krautrock and my record player's in the shop.

Get one of those little VW campervan things that drive around the grooves of your record with a little on-board speaker. I've always wanted to get one but they're £100.

New Laura Marling album sounds a good one (sans banjo would have been better). I'm sure she was listening a bit of John Darnielle when writing parts.

EDIT: Must also add this in - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in9SiDtJLaU
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Last edited by Andrewbiles at Aug 27, 2011,
Quote by somewhat_here
i don't know what to listen to anymore besides new order and krautrock and my record player's in the shop. on the plus side, it's been a great summer.

Listen to Goodiepal! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK8xoD7COlo&feature=related

I was away for almost the whole summer and now it's rainning, so I'm not really seeing anyone for the last week. I'm going to alton towers though

Another thing I was trying was to make automated or random music or whatever you'd call it, but I think I was doing it in a stupid way. At the minute I make a long note in LMMS and then use loads of Peak Controllers to affect different effects, and that way the note keeps changing. Does anyone know how other people do it? I think there's loads of maths involved somehow quite often?
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Speaking of music and junk. I've come to the conclusion that I'm completely bored with new music. Like, I can think of maybe three albums released this year that I would consider "really good." And it's almost September.

(Yuck's self-titled, Cloud Nothing's self-titled, and Kurt Vile's Smoke Rings For My Halo, for the record.)
Quote by K-Lizzle
Speaking of music and junk. I've come to the conclusion that I'm completely bored with new music. Like, I can think of maybe three albums released this year that I would consider "really good." And it's almost September.

(Yuck's self-titled, Cloud Nothing's self-titled, and Kurt Vile's Smoke Rings For My Halo, for the record.)

Oh yeah, of course. I don't think I bought any new albums this year. Actually, that's a lie, I got Goblin by Tyler, The Creator and Skying by The Horrors, but I hardly remembered them so that goes to show I guess.

I've stopped having favourite bands as well, I just listen to that one song, and then that other one and sort of fall through albums without knowing what each song is called. And I haven't seen any bands live since November.

Maybe bands just suck. There doesn't seem to be much vision, or a cohesive movement. Alot of music just sounds like it happened because "why not", rather than because people were like "yeah!". Also, too much reverb.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
My problem is mainly with electronic-type music. There are sooooo many bands nowadays that are nothing more than a bunch of keyboards and pedals hooked up together synthesizing weird unmelodic sounds. That's just not good to me. It's like all you have to do is press buttons.

I wish I grew up in the 80's where even the shitty pop music was better than most of the stuff that comes out today.
If I wasn't so hetero, i'd tap Conor Oberst.
What have I got in my pocket?
CuSO4

I think the only new album i've actually bought and listened to was TV On The Radio's new whatever it's called, and I quite liked it. But what else was even released this year worth listening to?
Quote by bradulator
I think the only new album i've actually bought and listened to was TV On The Radio's new whatever it's called, and I quite liked it. But what else was even released this year worth listening to?

This was a pretty weak indie year in my opinion. Hip hop is killing it at the moment.

But a few albums I liked were Fleet Foxes, Washed Out, Bon Iver, Girls, Radiohead, and Thundercat.
I've listened to Washed Out, Bon Iver, Girls, and Radiohead and they're all pretty good yeah.

On a separate note, i'm playing a show on Saturday with my friend who sings and plays piano. We basically just have a bunch of melancholy songs to play right now (and we've only practiced once , so any suggestions involving some happy songs that we both could do? That an audience would enjoy?
Quote by genghisgandhi
I'm really liking the new Girls. I'd probably say that.

Unless we're not just talking about Alt/indie. I have a lot more if that's the case.

Yeah, anything. Preferably not metal. And I thought Father, Son, Holy Ghost was alright. I have a feeling it's the kind of album that will need to grow.
Quote by bradulator

This year has been pants shittingly great for music, at least if you're me. In approximate order...

Andrew Jackson Jihad - Knife Man
Joyce Manor - Joyce Manor
Laura Stevenson & The Cans - Sit Resist
Death Grips - Exmilitary
Touché Amoré - Parting The Sea Between Brightness And Me
Spraynard - Funtitled
Lemuria - Pebble
Hunx And His Punx - Too Young To Be In Love
Iceage - New Brigade
Lil B - Im Gay

I've listened to tons of full lengths this year, but those are my favorite ten. These will probably change dramatically by the end of the year.
Quote by genghisgandhi
This was a pretty weak indie year in my opinion. Hip hop is killing it at the moment.

But a few albums I liked were Fleet Foxes, Washed Out, Bon Iver, Girls, Radiohead, and Thundercat.

I'll need to check out the Washed Out album. Heard errthing else.
Quote by genghisgandhi
@due I looked through your last.fm and the only glaring omission I could see was Big KRIT's Returnof4eva. Go listen to that.

I actually have that sitting in my Winamp right now, cold and not cared for. I'll queue it up bruh.
Quote by neidnarb11890
I'm loving SM & The Jicks' & Wild Flag's records.

I looked for Wild Flag on mediafire when it came out, but my fifteen seconds of searching weren't successful.
check out the war on drugs "slave ambient" and kurt vile's "smoke ring". i love both albums.

some other good ones:
Hey Rosetta - Seeds
submotion orchestra - finest hour
yuck - yuck
shabazz palaces - black up
bright eyes - the peoples key

also the new mountain goats may be my aoty but that may be because im a fanboy but i think its worth checking out
Quote by genghisgandhi
EDIT - And why not metal? Too scary for you?

Uh, I don't know. Maybe because metal is for fags?

I've only actually listened to Liturgy's new album this year, but yeah, metal's gay.
Quote by turncoat60%
check out the war on drugs "slave ambient" and kurt vile's "smoke ring". i love both albums.

some other good ones:
Hey Rosetta - Seeds
submotion orchestra - finest hour
yuck - yuck
shabazz palaces - black up
bright eyes - the peoples key

also the new mountain goats may be my aoty but that may be because im a fanboy but i think its worth checking out

I'll check some of those out. I've been meaning to get around to listening to new Mountain Goats
Quote by due 07
Uh, I don't know. Maybe because metal is for fags?

I've only actually listened to Liturgy's new album this year, but yeah, metal's gay.

I'll check some of those out. I've been meaning to get around to listening to new Mountain Goats

i cant listen to metal anymore either. have you ever listened to any mountain goats other stuff?
Yeah, a bit. The only album I have is The Sunset Tree, but I've heard some earlier stuff. Plus their awesome "Boxcar" cover.
I checked out Thundercat. Is awesome.

More people should listen to Miracle Fortress. Their new album isn't as good as their other one, but it's nice.