zooloo99
Purveyor Of Fine Riffs
167 IQ
Hi all,
My band is normally a sort of pop-punk/rock band and we play a lot of similar genred music like metal and the such.
Thing is, we have a unique opportunity to perform at a historic railway that our bassist works at (don't ask), but the problem is that if we do, we'd have to play something from around the 1920s, most likely blues.

Question is, should we take this gig and if so, what would be good blues songs from roughly that period (I don't think there'll be any musicographers in the crowd of tourists)?

Thanks
ARMAGEDDON_IT
UG's procrastinator.
180 IQ
I reckon go for it, its good to experience and get a feel for different genres of music.
As far as 1920's blues go, I don't think you could really go any better than some old Robert Johnson tunes.
Try 'Sweet Home Chicago' for a start, and 'Crossroads' is another good one.
The time to hesitate is through..

Gear:
Fender 60's Road Worn Strat
Epiphone Les Paul '56 Gold Top
Orange Tiny Terror Combo

Quote by Draken
and the stig. American Stig would be a fat guy with a nascar hat.
reversegenesis
330 IQ
If you're doing it to gain new fans its probably not a good idea, people watching will think you always play blues and be disappointed to learn you dont. On the other hand, gig experience is always a good thing.
zooloo99
Purveyor Of Fine Riffs
167 IQ
My blues knowledge is a bit non-existant, but are trainblues from the 20s? Because that would be something great as it's a train station :P

EDIT: Actually, better yet, what would be good songs to play with our small arrangement of two guitars, drums, bass and a harmonica?
Something acoustic seems possible.
Last edited by zooloo99 at Jan 6, 2011,
drama.princess
40 IQ
Quote by reversegenesis
If you're doing it to gain new fans its probably not a good idea, people watching will think you always play blues and be disappointed to learn you dont.

This.

I would do it, but I wouldn't advertise it as your regular band.
willwelsh816
Sittn on top of the world
2,464 IQ
blues is the common denominator for all popular music. It's kinda hard to be good at a musical instrument without brushing against the blues at least once. Metal came from hard rock, which came from rock, which came from the blues. Punk came from ska(from what I understand about the genre), ska came from r&b, and that came from the blues. Music is just one more thing that black people made more interesting to the general public. It should be the easiest way to jam, but for some reason, musicians these days feel that it is unnecisary to learn.

Why doesn't the guy hire a more specialized band? Also, I don't think an electric band like yours should be playing a 1920s themed gig, the music back then was mostly horn bands. Guitars didn't really get a hold until the 30s I believe with charlie christian, which you would need to intensley study to even get the jist of what that man was doing.

Maybe there could be a 1980s themed show in that venue in the future you can play though, a band like your's would probably rock that
zooloo99
Purveyor Of Fine Riffs
167 IQ
Quote by willwelsh816
...Why doesn't the guy hire a more specialized band? Also, I don't think an electric band like yours should be playing a 1920s themed gig, the music back then was mostly horn bands. Guitars didn't really get a hold until the 30s I believe with charlie christian, which you would need to intensley study to even get the jist of what that man was doing.

Maybe there could be a 1980s themed show in that venue in the future you can play though, a band like your's would probably rock that

Well, we aren't being hired, per se.
The gig would most likely be for free, but my band would be greatful for being able to get some gig experience...and have an open guitar case in front of us for any generous tourists :P

I think just some blues jamming in a few keys will do us, plus a few covers.
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
1,703 IQ
Aren't you a cover band anyway? A couple of blues numbers would do you well.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Burntout Chump
88 IQ
Quote by zooloo99

we'd have to play something from around the 1920s, most likely blues.
Thanks

Are you actually required to play blues from the 1920's? Or are you just assuming? If you're just assuming, talk to the person who is in charge of running the gig. Maybe you'll find that you aren't expected to play that at all
zooloo99
Purveyor Of Fine Riffs
167 IQ
Quote by Burntout Chump
Are you actually required to play blues from the 1920's? Or are you just assuming? If you're just assuming, talk to the person who is in charge of running the gig. Maybe you'll find that you aren't expected to play that at all

Y'know, sometimes common sense isn't all that common!