ironmanben
2,513 IQ
How can I be active on stage while playing guitar and singing? I don't want to just stand there, but I don't have much time that I'm not in front of the mic, and my hands have the guitar so I can't throw stuff into the audience or anything of that sort. What should I do to be active?
Mahabajaba
The Chunk Bringer
140 IQ
Well if you're a singer/guitarist sounds like you're pretty stuck. Depending on how much time you spend with both hands on the guitar you could do the traditional crowd pumping maneuvers and such, but there's not a whole lot you can do. I recommend taking a look at some bands with singer/guitarists and seeing what they do, likely won't be much though.
dullsilver_mike
UG's Hotdog
741 IQ
Uncomfortable, creepy-faced eye contact.

That's my style when doing guitar and singing anyway.
Ethanb08
No one in particular
1,003 IQ
You could get a wireless headset mic, I've seen Sammy Hagar do that in some old live videos when he was with Van Halen...
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Punk_Ninja
Orianthi fanboy.
4,555 IQ
When you're not singing do as a guitar player does, when you're not playing guitar do as a singer would do.

It's hard to do anything when tied to the mic, you pretty much have to rely on eye contact and any body movements have to be small and mostly with the feet.
But if you have a moment spare, especially if you ever solo and stuff, you can easily get a bit nuts then.
IRISHPUNK01
Wants a different name
139 IQ
watch and learn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLMIkd88yb8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7pw_TCaEvo&feature=related

look at young joe strummer if you need to learn how to be energetic
The most grossly offensive and mishandled application of intellectual property since the Schindler's List Easy-Bake Oven.
Last edited by IRISHPUNK01 at Jan 10, 2011,
Natrone
UG's Festive Brad Paisley
3,126 IQ
Are you the only guitarist in your band? If not, then drop out on some parts, grab the mic, and walk around. If you are the only guitarist, then really all you can do is move around as much as possible when you're not singing and be energetic even when you're at the mic.

Basically, just be into the music and you'll be fine.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Jan 10, 2011,
krypticguitar87
thats that...
673 IQ
watch live videos of bands with a singer/guitarist (or basist in some cases): Green Day, the Offspring, Trivium, Metalica, Nickleback, Chevele, KISS, Black Lable Society, Mastadon, Blink 182, Megadeth, Deftones etc.... I know not all of them are great but they definately give you some insight as to how to perform with a guitar while singing....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
408 IQ
Check out Matt Bellamy of Muse.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Burntout Chump
88 IQ
Quote by krypticguitar87
watch live videos of bands with a singer/guitarist (or basist in some cases): Green Day, the Offspring, Trivium, Metalica, Nickleback, Chevele, KISS, Black Lable Society, Mastadon, Blink 182, Megadeth, Deftones etc.... I know not all of them are great but they definately give you some insight as to how to perform with a guitar while singing....

Green Day is a GREAT example, except for the solos, haha, he's able to really get into it because they have someone else to play the lead so he's not glued to the same spot.

But anyway, I felt the same way as the OP, and I stumbled upon some live Green Day videos, and it helped me a lot, I highly recommend watching Billie Joe.
Last edited by Burntout Chump at Jan 10, 2011,