Page 1 of 17
Yaay!

Our first album was brilliant, if I may say so. I should've probably done this a while ago, but I'll spread it on Last.FM and send it to websites like TheSirensSound and TheSilentBallet, so that they can offer it for download to unsuspecting prey. That way, the first album can also serve as a teaser of sorts for our second album, which is this one!

As determined in the dream pop/shoegaze album planning thread, we are combining that album with this one, so it'll be like Optimus Prime combining with a couple of Minicons.

The guidelines are the same as the first album.

New contributors, here's the release thread and the planning thread of the first album. Check them both out so that you can see how it goes down.

Alumni, you know what to do.

Basic shtuffs:

* MP3 @ 320 kbps with ID3 tags - Artist + Title [Artist name should not your username]
* Tentative deadline - The ides of March [not fixed]
* Post-rock, post-metal, dream pop, shoegaze, blackgaze [black metal + shoegaze/post-rock], atmospheric music
* No solos!
* Lawljoke

If you have any questions, post them in the thread.
Last edited by hriday_hazarika at Jan 21, 2011,
Have you thought about making a bandcamp account for the downloadings?
Can you give some examples of post rock?

Ah, so many.

Explosions In The Sky, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mogwai, Slint, God Is An Astronaut, Do Make Say Think, This Will Destroy You, 65daysofstatic, Sigur Rós, Bark Psychosis, Envy, Red Sparowes, Maybeshewill, Isis, Pelican, and Mono are the names that come to mind when asked on the spot.

Contrary to what people may think, post-rock is a pretty wide genre. Listen to at least one song from all the artists I mentioned. You'll notice that the genre is a vast cornucopia of styles.

Have you thought about making a bandcamp account for the downloadings?

I don't think Bandcamp supports compilations, so nah.
Might it be wise to decide upon a theme for the songs to reflect? That way we have a sort of story behind it, helps with composition etc.

Nah, no need for that.

The brahs from the first album recorded whatever they wanted, and the entire album came together as a concept album of sorts automagically. It was freakishly brilliant. Even now, when I listen to the album [and I listen to it at least thrice a week, lawl], I still feel it is one of the best albums I've ever listened to.
I just came into to say three things

First: The first album was awesome and I can't wait for this one to come out

Second: I'm gonna have to update my albums thread to add this to the list, dang you making me do work also, if anyone has missed the other UG albums (And trust me there's a few) you can find a catalogue of them in the link in my sig

Okay and with that side note promotion out of the way

Thirdly: Hriday, I love your location

Fourthly: What I can have more than I said I did, this is post commenting <_< But I wish I could contribute to this, sadly I wouldn't know the first thing about, nor have the talent for, writing post rock, but I wish you all the best and cannot wait for the end result

Quote by DeadlyIllness

[that guy again] gets the drum Solo and Title King of the UG.

*Drum Solo*

Steam: yintonyinton
PSN: yintonyinton
Awesome. Ok, well, I'll have a fiddle around, see what I can come up with. I had something for the experimental album, but I never recorded it, so I might rework it for this

Now, that's the spirit!

I just came into to say three things

First: The first album was awesome and I can't wait for this one to come out

Second: I'm gonna have to update my albums thread to add this to the list, dang you making me do work also, if anyone has missed the other UG albums (And trust me there's a few) you can find a catalogue of them in the link in my sig

Okay and with that side note promotion out of the way

Thirdly: Hriday, I love your location

Fourthly: What I can have more than I said I did, this is post commenting <_< But I wish I could contribute to this, sadly I wouldn't know the first thing about, nor have the talent for, writing post rock, but I wish you all the best and cannot wait for the end result

First: Thank you muchly, TGA. ^_^

Second: You can remove the dream pop/shoegaze album from your list, brah. We are integrating that into this album.

Third: It's a brilliant song, eh?

Fourth: Now, we simply can't have that. You must at least try. Writing post-rock is truckloads of fun.

One request.. Can we have a proper title this time?

Whaddya mean, "proper"?

"The Ultimate-Guitar.com Post-Rock Album" is kinda like a brand name at this point. This is a series of albums. Like I've said before, UG will have post-rock albums as long as I'm alive.

After I have all the submissions, we can decide a subtitle. So, it'll be something like "The Ultimate-Guitar.com Post-Rock Album II: Something Pretentious".
In, as always.

I'll upload my submission sometime.
I have more ideas and enough time to work on them.

Quote by hriday_hazarika

After I have all the submissions, we can decide a subtitle. So, it'll be something like "The Ultimate-Guitar.com Post-Rock Album II: Something Pretentious".

Lets just call it that.

Quote by hriday_hazarika

Fourth: Now, we simply can't have that. You must at least try. Writing post-rock is truckloads of fun.

This!
Do try.
Last edited by unet at Jan 21, 2011,
I think my contribution may turn out more atmospheric progressive than post-rock, but we'll see.

I also like the song Arriving Somewhere but not Here, in fact it's my favourite Porcupine Tree song. Just sayin'
Awesome, I'll get the boys together and we'll rerecord Fado (from the shoegaze album) and start working on getting our newest song recorded for this. I promise our songs this time will be a lot deeper than Swaylone's Island from last time, haha.
If I can get a means of recording, I shall contribute.

Although since this is a combo of the second post-rock album and the shoegaze one, it'll probably be shoegaze.
Quote by Dan_5893
I also like the song Arriving Somewhere but not Here, in fact it's my favourite Porcupine Tree song. Just sayin'

Mine too, along with Anesthetize.

Also, if anyone wants to attempt some blackwave [black metal + post-rock; think Alcest and/or Les Discrets], feel free.
Quote by TheReverend724
I am SO doing a post-metal song

Collab?
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
I'd be down for a three-way collab witchyou guys. Some of the recent musical ideas I've had could be called post-metal.

Quote by hriday_hazarika

Also, if anyone wants to attempt some blackwave [black metal + post-rock; think Alcest and/or Les Discrets], feel free.

I'd call Alcest blackgaze, because I think it sounds better.

And because I don't even see where the "wave" comes from in here. Darkwave and coldwave are called such because of New Wave.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Jan 21, 2011,
Quote by Holy Katana
I'd call Alcest blackgaze, because I think it sounds better.

And because I don't even see where the "wave" comes from in here. Darkwave and coldwave are called such because of New Wave.

Yeah, blackgaze is a more suitable term.

Damn these genre names. >_>
I'd like to do something that builds up to a very fuzzy, loud climax, so it might be better at the beginning or end of the album depending on how we want to end it?

I'm not demanding anything, I just thought I'd let you guys know what my idea is, so yeah.
Hriday....you came for the PT show?
It was friggin incredible.

"atmospheric progressive" is fine too.
I'm actually looking forward to hearing that.

I'd probably doing post metal as well. Or something of the sort. Ambient Doom maybe.
Last edited by unet at Jan 21, 2011,
Quote by Holy Katana
I'd be down for a three-way collab witchyou guys. Some of the recent musical ideas I've had could be called post-metal.

Have you been doing guitar stuff, or keyboard/synth/whatever?
Quote by lolmnt
Quote by Dan_5893
unet, have you heard the song Change Pt.1 by Karnivool?

Yeah.
If you mean the whole first ambient bit, i think you're set.
Although vary it up a bit. Ambient music gets boring if there's no actual progression.
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Have you been doing guitar stuff, or keyboard/synth/whatever?

Geetar, actually. I haven't actually worked on anything electronic in a couple of weeks.

But post-metal uses keyboards a fair bit, does it not?
Quote by Holy Katana
Geetar, actually. I haven't actually worked on anything electronic in a couple of weeks.

But post-metal uses keyboards a fair bit, does it not?

I thought you were all electronic these days.

And yeah, they can. Usually to add ambiance, but some bands like Isis have some keyboard melodies.
Quote by lolmnt
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
I thought you were all electronic these days.

And yeah, they can. Usually to add ambiance, but some bands like Isis have some keyboard melodies.

Uh, no. I've been playing guitar more and more in the past two months.

And I'm still going to get a POD HD500. Since I really want to incorporate guitar into my music.
Quote by hriday_hazarika

Now, that's the spirit!

First: Thank you muchly, TGA. ^_^

Second: You can remove the dream pop/shoegaze album from your list, brah. We are integrating that into this album.

Third: It's a brilliant song, eh?

Whaddya mean, "proper"?

"The Ultimate-Guitar.com Post-Rock Album" is kinda like a brand name at this point. This is a series of albums. Like I've said before, UG will have post-rock albums as long as I'm alive.

I've removed it, well, kind of, I've noted that it is now part of this album.

It sure is

I wouldn't know the first thing to do to write it. But then, I do like This Will Destroy You.

Awesome name for the album there

Also, I changed your colour

Quote by hriday_hazarika

Anesthetize is amazing ^_^

So, All I have is a guitar, what would be a way to make post rock that way?...

Quote by DeadlyIllness

[that guy again] gets the drum Solo and Title King of the UG.

*Drum Solo*

Steam: yintonyinton
PSN: yintonyinton
Last edited by that guy again at Jan 21, 2011,
Quote by unet
Yeah.
If you mean the whole first ambient bit, i think you're set.
Although vary it up a bit. Ambient music gets boring if there's no actual progression.

Yeah, at the moment my idea is just to build on an initial simple guitar melody, adding more layers and sound effects, until the fuzzed up guitar comes in at the end, and builds up towards this massive explosion of guitars and drums, before either tailing off, or just ending as a cliff hanger.
Quote by Holy Katana
Uh, no. I've been playing guitar more and more in the past two months.

And I'm still going to get a POD HD500. Since I really want to incorporate guitar into my music.

Cool, I'm game to collab with you, just waiting on Rev to answer.
Quote by lolmnt
Quote by Dan_5893
Yeah, at the moment my idea is just to build on an initial simple guitar melody, adding more layers and sound effects, until the fuzzed up guitar comes in at the end, and builds up towards this massive explosion of guitars and drums, before either tailing off, or just ending as a cliff hanger.

GIAA !
Sounds good man....work on it. Keep us updated.
Alright. Just as a matter of opinion, would people prefer a cliffhanger or something that relieves the tension created by the buildup?

I can't decide between them. All that will be different is some slightly cleaner, softer stuff after the buildup if its a tension relief at the end. I don't mind either, but I'd like some opinions
I'd like to do something that builds up to a very fuzzy, loud climax, so it might be better at the beginning or end of the album depending on how we want to end it?

I'm not demanding anything, I just thought I'd let you guys know what my idea is, so yeah.

Don't worry about the song placing. Just record as you see fit. There's always a way to arrange the track listing in a cohesive manner. I didn't expect the first album to have such a good flow, but it did! So, record your song as you like.

Hriday....you came for the PT show?
It was friggin incredible.

Naw, I didn't go.

Katatonia's playing too, right? Can't go for that either. I'm in Nepal right now, and all the tickets have probably sold out by now.
Quote by that guy again
Also, I changed your colour

So, All I have is a guitar, what would be a way to make post rock that way?...

Naughty

Listen to unet's song on the first album. It's called Entity. It's just guitar all the way through. You can do something like that, if you like.
I may contribute! Nothing certain, I have to ask my collaborator/bandmate if we have time.

Quote by hriday_hazarika
Yeah, blackgaze is a more suitable term.

Damn these genre names. >_>

blackgaze, that works quite well. Well maybe not for Souvenirs.
Quote by hriday_hazarika

Naw, I didn't go.

Katatonia's playing too, right? Can't go for that either. I'm in Nepal right now, and all the tickets have probably sold out by now.

Katatonia's over man....you're a bit behind the times.
Meshuggah came to your city...please say you went. =\
The show they had here blew mind mind. I think i preferred it to the PT one.
Quote by jibran
blackgaze, that works quite well. Well maybe not for Souvenirs.

Quote by unet
Katatonia's over man....you're a bit behind the times.
Meshuggah came to your city...please say you went. =\
The show they had here blew mind mind. I think i preferred it to the PT one.

I definitely am. ._.

I didn't go. I can't really envision myself at a metal gig, what with all the moshing and stuff. I'm a bit of a pussy.
The album came together well, I think I'll record something for this album too.
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
Last edited by Shredoftheday at Jan 21, 2011,