Page 1 of 2
Dmt8jr
238 IQ
ok everyone i know to get opinions on the BEST guitarist of the 80s speed metal, hair metal, era

i want to know the guitar players name, the band they were in, and why you like them best.

personally mine are

dave murray- iron maiden
george lynch- dokken
yngwie malmsteen- steelers
neal schon- journey
!-twisty-!
89 IQ
Dave Mustaine- Megadave... because he is a funny character and has some nice rythm playing + a very identifiable style.
James Hetfield- Metallica, vastly underated rythm player imho
Marty friedman- Cacophony... his unique phrasing and technical ability
Jason becker- Cacophony... being an awesome dude and composer and also for probably out doing malmsteen.

Got any reasons for your choices?
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
Last edited by !-twisty-! at Jan 29, 2011,
Dmt8jr
238 IQ
dave murray is my #1 hands down because i grew up on iron maiden been listening to them since i was like 6 and im 17 now lol, as a guitar player i really appreciate his style and hes a really good person too
Weaponxclaws
Mutant
817 IQ
Reb Beach- Winger: He is often overlooked but his tone and emotion are spot on with the songs he plays

George Lynch- Dokken: Badass riffs and tone

Eddie Van Halen- Van Halen: The reason I play guitar today. He revolutionized just about everything in guitar.

Steve Clark/Phil Collen- Def Leppard: Great team of guitarists. They layer off of each other to create some cool stuff.

Vivian Campbell-Dio, Whitesnake: Most people don't know who he is. He plays with Def Leppard now but as a lesser role... With Dio and Whitesnake, his guitar parts were simple but effective.
Kerry_King_1990
Slayer
434 IQ
friedman and becker destoryed with cacophony!
them 2 , plus my favorite guitarist (mustaine and king)
Cbolthouse
129 IQ
Slash - Guns N' Roses cause he's original and has a unique style of blues infused with rock. And he is the a guitar hero that everyone thinks of
Shoobywopdiddly
Banned
14 IQ
Quote by Dmt8jr
dave murray is my #1 hands down because i grew up on iron maiden been listening to them since i was like 6 and im 17 now lol, as a guitar player i really appreciate his style and hes a really good person too

I'm a MASSIVE Iron Maiden nut, Dave Murray is definately one of my favourite guitarists, but I'd say in terms of "best", Jason Becker or Shawn Lane (he was around in 80s)
sock_demon
Ol' Dirty
763 IQ
beckerfriedmangilbertbouilletlynchvaibeachkotzenmacalpine, etc.
hue
Slicer666
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeei-
352 IQ
Quote by sock_demon
beckerfriedmangilbertbouilletlynchvaibeachkotzenmacalpine, etc.

Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
ron666
226 IQ
That's easy, Randy Rhoads with Ozzy's band. Mostly because of the speedy guitar licks he used.

ron666
Andrew2k
205 IQ
Randy, because his playing is just flawless and his tone is amazing!
Jake E Lee, cause Ozzy's Bark At the Moon album, what more can I say?
Jason Becker, because of his composing, playing, everything.
Marty Friedman, well its Marty?
Dave Mustaine, his insane riffs.
Yngwie had some great solos and songs, eg I'll see the light tonight, Save our Love..
bladedguitar66
The Good Catches Up
525 IQ
Night Ranger's Brad Gillis. He had an arsenal of guitar tricks unmatched by any guitarist of his time or since.
I have more fun than normal people are allowed to have.

Quote by Kensai

Happy RUTAS everybody
Dmt8jr
238 IQ
Quote by Kerry_King_1990
friedman and becker destoryed with cacophony!
them 2 , plus my favorite guitarist (mustaine and king)

if your a king fan i take it youd like my kkv bc rich ;D
acdcrocks21
KTM
43 IQ
i dont know if this would fit in here but Angus Young from ACDC because he is f@&%n amazing!!
Second to no basted!

Monsters of rock
crazygnr1996
UG Member
385 IQ
Quote by Cbolthouse
Slash - Guns N' Roses cause he's original and has a unique style of blues infused with rock. And he is the a guitar hero that everyone thinks of

I second this, best EVER!
Raffi M
11 IQ
These are some of my favorites. Most have already been said.

Eddie Van Halen- Van Halen- Laid the groundwork for many guitarists in the 80's. Influence can't be denied.

George Lynch- Dokken- Cool tone great riffs and some of the best solos in Glam Metal.

Vivian Campbell- Dio- Again his riffs and solos are amazing.

Marty Friedman- Megadeth- The best lead guitarist in Megadeth's history imo. Cacophony was great as well.

Dave Murray- Iron Maiden- Iron Maiden are awesome and he is one of the main reasons why.

Randy Rhoads- Ozzy Osbourne- Enough has been said already about his playing

Wolf Hoffmann- Accept- Knew when to be melodic and knew when to show off. One of my favorites.

Glen Tipton/K.K Downing- No egos between them. They worked as a unit and never really tried to upstage one another. Great team and both great players.
Raffi M Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
Flibo
I like dissonance.
690 IQ
There are just too many. But... Well, firstly, Dave Murray was the man who got me into guitar.

Andy LaRocque with King Diamond, brilliant guitarist, amazing melodies

Vivian Campbell for his Dio stuff

Marty Friedman for his unique approach to guitar

Yngwie Malmsteen for obvious reasons

James Murphy for Death - Spiritual Healing

Roope Latvala for his Stone guitar badassery

Glenn Tipton of Judas Priest for his vibrato

Alex Skolnick of Testament for heavy riffage combined with fast soloing

John Norum of Europe, he made some good songs
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Alkaline 64
Banned
1,306 IQ
Quote by GroovyMoofy
Paul Gilbert in Racer x?

+100, That band made Heavy Metal the coolest thing in the universe!
Crazed Shredder
Sheik Yerbouti
1,195 IQ
+1 to Andy LaRocque and Paul Gilbert.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
deeppurple97
225 IQ
George Lynch - Dokken, has a great tone and riffs
Slash - you know why
Angus Young, he has also got many cool riffs
And of course Richie Blackmore, he is SOOOOOO underrated!!!!
DaFjory
In Lane we trust
1,487 IQ
Best, in terms of technical playing? Gilbert.
Best, in terms of good songs? Satriani.
Best, in terms of most profound impact on the guitar genre? Malmsteen.

Tough pick. I'll say Malmsteen because he managed to cover all 3 areas in some way. My absolute favourite, however? Satriani.
Last edited by DaFjory at Feb 21, 2011,
Metallicuh
PonyFan #1305968
1,312 IQ
Eddie Van Halen- Van Halen- He had is own unique style and changed the way many people look at guitar.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Last edited by Metallicuh at Feb 21, 2011,
TomusAM
335 IQ
Meh, I think threads like these are kinda lame.

But whatever, my favorite has always been Randy Rhoads. He obviously wasn't one of the fastest players out there (not in comparison to later shredders such as Yngwie, or Satriani) , but his creativity and sense of melody made him the greatest (in my opinion). His solos really fit the song very well, and he wrote awesome and memorable music with Ozzy.
gamenerd323
ug's metal geek
633 IQ
Quote by TomusAM
Meh, I think threads like these are kinda lame.

But whatever, my favorite has always been Randy Rhoads. He obviously wasn't one of the fastest players out there (not in comparison to later shredders such as Yngwie, or Satriani) , but his creativity and sense of melody made him the greatest (in my opinion). His solos really fit the song very well, and he wrote awesome and memorable music with Ozzy.

I agree. The reason randy is so good is because of the musical education he had. All these things like his melodic sense or ability to make to solo fit perfectly is i think because if you asked him he'd consider himself a composer as much as a guitarist.
iron FUCKING maiden!!!
johnnynausea
1,292 IQ
Eddie Van Halen, come on enough said right? He's Eddie Van Halen

Steve Vai, pound for pound probbaly the only guy who can go note for note with eddie, plus he does some weird stuff that'll make your head spin, his creativity is second to none

Mick Mars: By far the most underrated guitarist in Rock N Roll Mick Rocks

Stevie Ray Vaughn, Do I really need to say more about that? It's STEVIE RAY VAUGHN for crying out loud.

The Guitar Twins, only true fans will know who I am talking about, there harmonies and dueling solos revolutionized Heavy Metal.
xTheHanx
32 IQ
Quote by Flibo
There are just too many. But... Well, firstly, Dave Murray was the man who got me into guitar.

Andy LaRocque with King Diamond, brilliant guitarist, amazing melodies

Vivian Campbell for his Dio stuff

Marty Friedman for his unique approach to guitar

Yngwie Malmsteen for obvious reasons

James Murphy for Death - Spiritual Healing

Roope Latvala for his Stone guitar badassery

Glenn Tipton of Judas Priest for his vibrato

Alex Skolnick of Testament for heavy riffage combined with fast soloing

John Norum of Europe, he made some good songs

John Norum is my favourite guitarist of all time!! i think he deserves more recognition than what he got. he has one of the most original and unique styles of playing. he has speed, technicality, melodies and so much soul and emotion into his works!!!!!
Twistedrock
^^ Le prestige.
732 IQ
Malmsteen, because neoclassical is ****ing win, and shredding classical guitars is just badass

Jeff Waters because he is an awesome guy and waaaaayy too underrated

And he's not really '80s' as such but a very 80s style player, Michael Romeo because he is just awesome.
seymour_jackson
DOTA
1,163 IQ
Becker Friedman
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02 EMG 81s
Jackson DKMG/ EMG-HZ activez/ D-tuna
Jackson WRXT / dimarzio tone zone
Jackson KSXT / seymour duncan JBs
Ovation Celeberity
Peavey JSX 212

Music school! WOO
Section 5
How YOU doin'?
374 IQ
Can't believe no one's mentioned Nuno Bettencourt yet...simply an amazing player. Play With Me has one of the greatest 80's solos ever.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Lokki Saints
UG Member
189 IQ
Yngwie J. Malmsteen was the best in the 80's also the first true shredder. Becker, Friedman, Gilbert, Bouillet, McAlpine, Batio, Bettencourt, Beach and the likes were all imitators of Malmsteen's neoclassical playing. All have admitted that it was Malmsteen who influenced their playing and style. Rhoads wasn't a neoclassical player like some claim. He was a pentatonic blues rock player who dabbled with some harmonic minor runs that were blues hybrid patterns i.e. Crazy Train. Rhoads was great but not up to par with Malmsteen at that time. No one before Malmsteen truly utilized and perfomed fast arpeggios on the electric guitar like Malmsteen nor did they use the scales that Malmsteen did and not one guitar player even today has the stage presence of Malmsteen period!

Seeing Malmsteen play Eruption with his teeth back in the 80's as well as behind his head was a for sure sign that this guitarist was a forced to be reckoned with.
VinceLeeLawless
10 IQ
Chris Holmes from W.A.S.P. One of the best guitarist I ever heard.
Slash-GNR Why slash? Look at slash I mean come on he is a f**king legend.
Mick Mars- Motley crue Still alive and kick'in @ss
Just to name a few...