Jessica-Lyn
360 IQ
Hey there!

I have been playing guitar for about 5 years or so and have always used my friends computers to record songs on Garage Band. I do not own a Mac but a PC instead and I want to start recording my own stuff on my laptop.

I understand the concept of Guitar -> Adapter -> Computer Audio-In, but I want to know besides Audacity (which I find is a wonderful program) what other programs are out there that I could possibly download (zip files? torrents?) that could help me get a good guitar sound out of recording without having to use my amp? I know Pro Tools is a good program but is very expensive and I do not have any pedals at the moment because an ex band member broke my only pedal sadly.

Also is there any way to get Pro Tools for free?

Thank you!
Gu1tar_guy1010
Simply Registered
622 IQ
Shame on you, I buy all my software....

Anywho, Reaper is a solid alternative to audacity and it's legitimately free. In terms for amp software, I like Line 6's Pod Farm. The only hitch is that you'd have to spend some money on a line 6 USB device that you plug your patch cable into (Guitarport is the cheapest, I picked one up used for $40)
Ibanez RGA 121
Yahama Pacifica -- painted purple and blue
2000 American Standard Strat
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
MXR Phase 90 with R28 switchable mod
USA Big Muff
Last edited by Gu1tar_guy1010 at Feb 8, 2011,
marrs11
Est 1991
65 IQ
I highly recommend REAPER. It is free (donation-ware), which means that you can get the trail version and after 30 days you'll still be able to use it, you'll just have a prompt that counts down to from 10 every couple times you start it up asking you to buy a license for it (which is cheap and will get rid of the countdown prompt).

REAPER, like Audacity, is a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) except it is ALOT more functional and much nicer looking. For effects, you can download what are called VST's, which are like plugins that give effects, but also can be virtual instruments, compressors, amp simulators, etc. They can improve your quality a good bit.

Hope this helps.
haceteunosmates
testing black box ahh ahh
1,056 IQ
If you know where to search and look for things, everything is free.. Cubase is great, but if you want to stay legit Reaper is your best choice. It's really good though.

Quote by a_hub10
I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.

Quote by CraftyTrickster
You should just tell the seller: ¡Boludo!
*kill'emall*
Street Lethal
933 IQ
It is against the rules for anyone to advise you how to illegally acquire software.

Also, unless you have a kickass sound card, I wouldn't recommend you plug into it or it won't sound very good even if you have a good recording program, because most sound cards aren't meant to record in high quality. You'll want to get an audio interface.
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Last edited by *kill'emall* at Feb 8, 2011,
handlerb
534 IQ
Amplitube is great. It's expensive, so that might be an obstacle.

PS. Ditto to the first post - shame on you for pirating software...
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
unnamedplayer
UG's Biologist
379 IQ
pirate bay?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jackson Soloist Std. Professional '93
DiMarzio Evolution (bridge) SD Lil' Screamin Demon (neck)

-B.C. Rich Warlock Special Edition Metal Web

-Peavey Bandit 112
drama.princess
40 IQ
A lot of audio interfaces come with versions of software like cubase or protools