rickyj
Unregistered user
1,937 IQ
okay, im in a band...

we are thinking getting rid of our singer/rhythm guitarist because his musical taste and writing style has changed since we started the band(he's an original member)

he named the band

he insists that if he's out of the band he gets to use the name, we disagree.

the name is a good fit so we dont want to have to think of a new one

your thoughts?
scimitar_255
341 IQ
Man up and think of a new name. If he is an original member and came up with the band name, it is only fair that he should get to keep it if he wants it
Puwpiepewps
106 IQ
In my opinion, it just depends on your following. If you guys are are relatively new band, it won't really matter if you keep or change the name. But if you guys are starting to have, or already have, a steady fan base, tell your singer/guitarist to suck it and keep the name.
travislausch
UG's Haibane Renmei fan.
6,506 IQ
Quote by Puwpiepewps
In my opinion, it just depends on your following. If you guys are are relatively new band, it won't really matter if you keep or change the name. But if you guys are starting to have, or already have, a steady fan base, tell your singer/guitarist to suck it and keep the name.

As much as I would like to think that intellectual property is a sacred right that should never be questioned, this is true. If the band has a huge following and would not benefit from a name change, then it's fine enough to keep it.

But I still say man up and learn to be creative enough to think of another name. I've got a half dozen reserve band names in the event I lose the ability to use one of mine.
I can't help wondering things like "What's Bob Dylan doing now? Is he at home, eating a big bowl of corn flakes just like I will, later on when I return back home?"
rickyj
Unregistered user
1,937 IQ
Quote by scimitar_255
Man up and think of a new name. If he is an original member and came up with the band name, it is only fair that he should get to keep it if he wants it

but we are ALL original band members...
bobtrack
201 IQ
Like the others have said if you have a fan base already you guys should get to keep it. Maybe just start calling him Axl if he wants to take the name?
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12
Warmoth Strat
Richmond Dorchester
Boss RC-50
Line 6 DL-4
Digitech Whammy 4
Zvex Mastotron
Boss RT-20
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
2,471 IQ
Quote by Quintex
This link may give you some direction:

http://www.ivanhoffman.com/names.html

Good article!

The only thing I will add, which probably doesn't apply to you, is that the band name may be owned by the person who registers it. By register, I mean, going down to city hall and registering your band as a business.

Now, in a perfect world, all band members will do this together and register it together as equal partners and therefore equal owners. It has happened in the past, though, where a manager has registered the band as a business under his name.... meaning.... the manager owns the name.

In any case, assuming you are all original members, and therefore equal shareholders in that asset, then it basically comes down to 80% vs 20%, which to me, suggests clearly that he left the band. In that case, you guys own it and he walked away.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
xStargazer
UG's weaboo guitarist
520 IQ
if he thought it up and you guys don't have a massive fanbase yet suck it up and get a new name.
krypticguitar87
thats that...
673 IQ
Quote by xStargazer
if he thought it up and you guys don't have a massive fanbase yet suck it up and get a new name.

this, you guys aren't really the same band anyway so what difference does it make?

also the way I would look at it is if you are throwing out the lead singer, which is the only person that most of the fans care about anyway, you are looking at a new beginning so why not start it out right with a new name?
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
LazarusOnGrave
321 IQ
Well, I agree. Just say the hell with it and change the name.

But, to play the devil's advocate here, he's already going to be pissed off he got kicked out of the band. If you really want to keep it, what's he going to do? Hire a lawyer and sue you over it?
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
1,703 IQ
Out of all the band names I've ever made up, the only one I'd care about keeping was one called "The Super Manly Awesome Guys".

Luckily nobody wanted to steal it.

Anyways, what makes you think that he'll take the band name? Have you gigged yet under the name? Do you have a multitude of songs written as a band having that name? Is it registered as a business? Is it trademarked? Can you change the name easily? Can he?

All things said, the way that this often pans out is that you kick whatever member, they go join another band and don't steal your name. That's the most likely case. If he did go and form a band with the same name (god knows why, you'd just confuse prospective fans), nothing would happen if you hadn't legally protected the band name anyways.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by axemanchris
Good article!

The only thing I will add, which probably doesn't apply to you, is that the band name may be owned by the person who registers it. By register, I mean, going down to city hall and registering your band as a business.

Now, in a perfect world, all band members will do this together and register it together as equal partners and therefore equal owners. It has happened in the past, though, where a manager has registered the band as a business under his name.... meaning.... the manager owns the name.

In any case, assuming you are all original members, and therefore equal shareholders in that asset, then it basically comes down to 80% vs 20%, which to me, suggests clearly that he left the band. In that case, you guys own it and he walked away.

CT

Agreed, but I can kinda see how it would be a bit douchy to take the name that he thought up.

I suppose it all depends upon how big the band's fan base is really, for instance, if you haven't gigged under that name yet, then I see no point in keeping a name that someone else thought up.

A name change can be a good way to move on and revitalise a project after a split.
801Current
679 IQ
like everyone else said...If you have a lot of fans then keep the name....if not it doesn't matter no point in anyone being butt hurt.
Danelectro 1959 reissue

Quote by G.Krizzel
Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.

Also please visit this thread and help me tab out an album!!!
thread.
HalfDose
Mikey Law
658 IQ
FACT: Whoever has the passwords to all of the online accounts keeps the name!!

If you wanna be a dick and have a good time:

Change all of the passwords!

Then, e-mail, message and post as much as you can that he is no longer in the band. This way, he can't do things to harm you.

Continue onward

(sorry to bump. didn't realize how old this post was)