Page 1 of 3
Lightbluemk2
New Zealand rep!
816 IQ
YES I KNOW, what is this Matt your saying? Another build? But you have another 2 on the go already? Well shush yourself I'm waiting on parts for the others, and the right parts you want arnt always easy to get in NZ so there. I will still be updating these builds soon so dont worry folks!

New build then? Heck yes.

I saw a amazing build by a man called Scatter Lee on another forum and thought he was onto something, so I'm doing a bit of a tribute to him here, the idea fundamentally is his, but damn it's a good one, so thought I'd have a go. This is a guitar/violin mash up essentially.

Here we go!

Made some templates and got some marcrocarpa for a change and rough cut, then routed the shape.

Size comparison next to a tele template

Hollowing

Building the neck for this one, maple, 13 degree headstock

Now im pretty sure you can only add a few photos at a time in a post right? so onto another post...

Chur
Lightbluemk2
New Zealand rep!
816 IQ
Did the truss rod channel and routing to shape

Headstock

Then onto some bodywork on the back using a special jig I made up to use with my trimmer

Then after using a straight bit, switched to a bullnose bit to give it some curves

So thats that for now, what do we think so far?
Got a maple top for this one just by the way too

Chur
BrokenDstring
Band
1,170 IQ
Wow.

Looks...awesome. Beautiful so far.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
YngwieLi
245 IQ
Whoa that's cool. I can't wait to see it completed.
1998 Ibanez Prestige S2540
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
Dempsey68
ihavenoideawhatimdoing
3,329 IQ
that is the sex!
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Hatepooper666
UG's only pooper of hate
55 IQ
Thats pretty whoopass! Are you gonna paint it or stain it?
Hebriqui
Paid for being an idiot
185 IQ
Holy, fuggin shit! Really, that's one lustrous shape! ;D
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned because f*ck you Hebriqui.
I'd been going for a month or so.

Quote by Peres.T.Peanut
oh **** you
deathmetalreape
357 IQ
****ing awesome \m/
cant wait to see the finished product and sound ^^
YOU HAVE TO POST MP3's!
Gear:
bc rich white tribal blades warlock tuned and gauged:
Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb/F#-B
60-52-48-32---18---12
line 6 spider 2 150 watt dual amp
grunge distortion pedal
Lightbluemk2
New Zealand rep!
816 IQ
To answer some questions, this ones more of a test, so see how the shape would come out and so on, so if it works out next time almost everything will be changed about it but for this one at least its going to be the following;

Bridge: Black TOM and tailpiece
Electronics: 2x P90s, black covers; 1x V, 1x T, 3way toggle
Neck: Bolt on through bushings, 4 degree neck angle, 13 degree headstock, graphite nut.
Tuners: Sperzel solid pro tuners - satin black
All other hardware, screws etc in black

Chur
will42
UG's bassoon-master
1,093 IQ
if ot turns out well i may be interested in buying one
could you PM me with some details and stuff?
Copaman
GB&C's Crystal Baller
472 IQ
It seems you've only take pictures of the bottom... what does the top look like?
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Lightbluemk2
New Zealand rep!
816 IQ
will42 - PM'd

It seems you've only take pictures of the bottom... what does the top look like?

Yeah man only been working on the bottom so far! once the bottoms roughly sanded (Which is going to take a considerable amount of time with all these curves) ill start on the top, which is going to be maple, carved radius top with a simliar carve around the edges as per the bottom piece

Chur
Lightbluemk2
New Zealand rep!
816 IQ
This is wicked, any idea of what color you'll paint it in?

Certainly not going to be painting this, most likely just plenty of coats of danish oil, or clearcoats

Chur
nowa90
Strike the Earth!
2,127 IQ
do an amber tint, do an amber tint!
Then it'll really look like a violin!
Did you just take the tele shape, and modify it? They seem so similar in size :P
Either way, i'm impressed and will be watching.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Copaman
GB&C's Crystal Baller
472 IQ
No clearcoats plz... Tung Oil would look awesome.

It will be semihollow?
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Lightbluemk2
New Zealand rep!
816 IQ
do an amber tint, do an amber tint! Then it'll really look like a violin! Did you just take the tele shape, and modify it? They seem so similar in size :P

Thats not a bad idea, I'll definitely take that one into consideration mate. As per the shape, I just inserted a few violin pictures and yes indeed a tele picture, into AutoCad, drew a few outlines, and then morphed them up a bit

No clearcoats plz... Tung Oil would look awesome. It will be semihollow?

Im leaning towards oiling it, but marcrocarpa, which is the back wood, isnt overly hard so ill think about it. Yes indeed it will be semihollow, made up a template a few days ago for some nice small scrolls trying to keep them proportionally sized to how they are in a violin for it's body size

Chur
YngwieLi
245 IQ
Hey if you have any sketches of the body or measurements that you don't mind sharing would you? I'd be interested in trying to build something like this myself.

Thanks
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
Lightbluemk2
New Zealand rep!
816 IQ
Hey if you have any sketches of the body or measurements that you don't mind sharing would you? I'd be interested in trying to build something like this myself.

Sorry I'm planning to do a couple more of these so I don't particularly want to give out any of my CAD files because their my own work, look all I did was take images of violins, and images of guitars and work from there, its all there for you really.

No disrespect to you or anything in saying that

Chur
Last edited by Lightbluemk2 at Feb 18, 2011,
YngwieLi
245 IQ
No, I understand. I probably wouldn't give them out either :P

I can't wait to see the finished product though. Good luck with it!
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
MonkeyLink07
UG's Fire Gym Leader
553 IQ
This thing looks awesome, maybe a french polish?

http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0110.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=3687

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
dsss guitars
381 IQ
Awesome shape.....gotta hand it to ya.........I'll be watching this till the end.
Lightbluemk2
New Zealand rep!
816 IQ
Hey guys you may remember from the build 'Oliver', my city of christchurch had a 7.1 earthquake back in september.

Today we have had a new earthquake apparently on another fault, and are enduring numerous and very strong aftershocks routinely. The quake was a magnitude 6.3, 5Km deep, at around 12.51pm when the city was very busy. The city has suffered severe damage, and many fatalities are expected from people trapped and crushed in buildings.

All work on my build threads will be postponed and will not be updated until we get back up on our feet again.

Here is a NZ news website with details of the quake

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4688231/Deaths-destruction-in-Christchurch-quake

Chur
Last edited by Lightbluemk2 at Feb 21, 2011,
Doonan
Unregistered User
272 IQ
whoaa how have i not seen this on the news yet. hope you and your family and friends are okay man.

edit: okay now its all over my news. thats terrible man, really hope things dont turn out too bad for you.
Last edited by Doonan at Feb 22, 2011,
Skinny91
Object-beater
1,561 IQ
Damn, thats terrible. I hope everyone is alright.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
N_J_B_B
Nicko.
1,326 IQ
Good luck with the clean up and i'm so sorry to hear the bad news, it's terrible. ♥
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
will42
UG's bassoon-master
1,093 IQ
im srry about the PM reply i didnt read ur last post just take you're time with the clean-up and i hope everything is okay
Tone Deaf
UG's Narcoleptic Newby
1,311 IQ
So the routing stuff's on the bottom.. What are you doing to the top? And are you doing anything else with the pattern on the bottom? Or just leaving it as is?
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
the_perdestrian
UG's insomiac
1,874 IQ
*me being an asshole*
no sir away a papaya war is on
Last edited by the_perdestrian at Feb 24, 2011,
Lightbluemk2
New Zealand rep!
816 IQ
you are cursed dude, seriously.

76 people have so far been confirmed dead, with that number expected to rise, 300 people are missing or unaccounted for, so no, I'm not cursed, I'm actually really fortunate that myself and my family are all okay and we have a roof above us, but you are bloody disrespectful, don't you dare bother posting if your just going to post bullshit like that

Chur
kiaba94
736 IQ
man, hope a lot of those missing people turn out ok. thank god you and your family are in good shape with a roof over your heads. stay strong!
the_perdestrian
UG's insomiac
1,874 IQ
Quote by Lightbluemk2
76 people have so far been confirmed dead, with that number expected to rise, 300 people are missing or unaccounted for, so no, I'm not cursed, I'm actually really fortunate that myself and my family are all okay and we have a roof above us, but you are bloody disrespectful, don't you dare bother posting if your just going to post bullshit like that

sorry man, i didn't mean any disrespect. That was a very disrespectful thing to say reading back on it and i'm sorry.
no sir away a papaya war is on
dsss guitars
381 IQ
Thinking of all in NZ, Shocking stuff, best wishes to you and yours.
Lightbluemk2
New Zealand rep!
816 IQ
Thanks a lot for all the messages of support and your condolences everyone, they really help. Weve been given a lot of help through this from people throughout the world both here, and aboard and im really thankful for that. Ive been spending most days with my mates helping dig out peoples properties throughout the city that have suffered heavy damage and silt/mud liquefaction throughout their homes. Everyone in the city is banding together to help each other like this which is great. I've witnessed some really scary things in the past few days though, homes, and lives devastated, bodies lying in the street under rubble, whole streets destroyed and covered in liquefaction, holes in the road the size of small cars.

The death toll has risen to 145 confirmed dead, hundreds still missing. Some of my fellow engineers have been called to start inspecting buildings and businesses premises in town, and its been attained that 1 in 3 buildings in the central business district will have to be destroyed. Our city will never quite look the same again, our city was rich in heritage buildings that have been here since people first settled here in the 1800's which have all been destroyed, and now its evident that all the people under the rubble have run out of time.

As our prime minister John Key has said, this is 'our darkest day'. I hope myself or anyone else doesn't have to go through this ever again, even though that is a pretty foolish thing to say.

But once again thank your for the words of support, their very much appreciated. Luckily I'm in one of the better parts of town, and have suffered little damage, so my workshops almost back to normal now and I should hopefully be able to get back working soon.

Chur
mynameisharp
FSM beliver!
17 IQ
dude i know theres nothing i can say
but best wishes and so forth
im afraid the best advice i can give is what i know, and thats when in times of trouble "keep calm and carry on" which is what your doing, seems like your helping alot which is just marvelous, your a good fella and glad to know your allright