Page 1 of 7
Rokkstar
1,773 IQ
Ultimate-Guitar Album, Vol. 1 (Working Title)

What's Ultimate-Guitar Album, Vol. 1 (Working Title)? An idea of the community! What is our idea? It's actually an idea that has been expanded upon far greater than the ideas of the regular collaboration. The idea you ask? The idea is for renowned artists around the forum to perfect songs based on the mutual writing standard we all share. Someone will start a section of the album and someone will expand upon it; only to be followed by someone suggesting a change of a section, to be hit with someone suggesting a change to that change. Although there are no genre limitations, the ideal genre is going to be something along the lines of Post-Hardcore / Progressive / Metal / Experimental.* We're writing everything. We're adding all vocals, all guitars, and all drums, and all extras. EVERYTHING. We will construct from a concept that is written by all of our approved users.* Vocals will be written and the whole nine yards. We are going to try to build one of the least generic delicacies ever seen.
* Not set in stone.

Guidelines:
  • Guitar Pro 4 or 5 please. Absolutely no Guitar Pro 6. and TuxGuitar can only be used with warning. The fix for file breaks in TG is simple, copy the instrument tabs from the last not-suck file and paste them in the broken file.
  • We tab everything. (Clean vocals as Oboe, Screams as Gunshots [which can be muted at discretion]).
  • All instruments should be forced to one channel. Example: Guitar 1, First Channel 1, Second Channel 1, it works fine this way.
  • All individual instruments should get an individual track. This works better than all of the other methods of changing them with the F10/Mix Table function. It may make the file size up a little bit, but it's all good.
  • Approved composers can rewrite a section and suggest that rewrite to the original author of that section their fix/edits. Actions will be taken from there from the original author and rest of our writers.
  • Sections should be able to be inserted before and after any other section.
  • No song has to be final until we all mutually agree.
  • You may not write a section that is impossible to play or has not received any thought.
  • Only someone on the list of approved writers can be added to the composer list.
  • To be an approved composer, you must be able to be vouched for amongst the users of the forum. If you are not prevalent in the forums, do you not fret, submit a few pieces to our approved writers and receive the approval from two of them to be accepted onto the list!
  • New WIPs (works in progress) will be named: track_WIP3_(username)_1

• WIPs with new additions will be named: track_WIP(number)_(name of person who started the WIP_(version number)

Put your WIP in the WIP folder we made in dropbox so we can all see what's going on and chip in!

Concept:
(The writing process has not begun.)

Approved Composer List:
  • Rokkstar (Credited as: Rokkstar)
  • frankibo (Credited as: frankibo)
  • Wquennasar (Credited as: Wquennasar)
  • champayne (Credited as: champayne)
  • DiminishedFaith (Credited as: DiminishedFaith)
  • Quibokk (Credited as: Quibokk)
  • guitar_jew (Credited as: guitar_jew)
  • JazzDeath (Credited as: JazzDeath)

Tracklisting (and links to threads):
(The writing process has not begun.)
Last edited by Rokkstar at Feb 24, 2011,
edgespear
UG Senior Member
502 IQ
I'm interested to see what people think of this, but would we write one song at a time? And would we all have to agree on what genre that song would be? 'cause not everyone likes the same kinda genre music so there may be some disagreements
Quote by Jackolas
edgespear, driving great ideas again. Sir, you pwn.

Gear:
Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul, PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 Floyd Amethyst
Amp: Peavey 6505, Eleven Rack
Rokkstar
1,773 IQ
Quote by edgespear
I'm interested to see what people think of this, but would we write one song at a time? And would we all have to agree on what genre that song would be? 'cause not everyone likes the same kinda genre music so there may be some disagreements

Like I said no genre limitations and we could be working on several songs at once. But we don't need to have 50 songs on it haha, ya know?
Mean Mr Mustard
Naked By The Computer
6,868 IQ
Hey man, just to point out, Im pretty sure that multi's arent allowed and you could get banned for that. But anyways, it sounds like a standard collab, but does each person write their own song, or add on to other's songs?
Rokkstar
1,773 IQ
Quote by Mean Mr Mustard
Hey man, just to point out, Im pretty sure that multi's arent allowed and you could get banned for that. But anyways, it sounds like a standard collab, but does each person write their own song, or add on to other's songs?

Well, I don't ever plan on using the other one again, and I would need a good reason to change the other name. And it's not like I created another account to escape a ban which is what the rule is specific to I believe. If I could delete the other I would. Neither one of us (me or UG staff) have anything to lose or gain from banning me really, so I don't see why they wouldn't let it slide, but if they ban me, it's all good. But every person could add as much to a song as they wanted/could. If they wrote an entire song someone else could pick it up and rewrite sections, etc etc. Ya know what I'm sayin'?
edgespear
UG Senior Member
502 IQ
So this is basically like a more serious version of the compilation gp song? Does someone just randomly come in with a gp start file and say "add to this" or something like that? And who gets final say, like if someone changes something someone else has written, who says whether it should be changed back if the original person doesn't like the change?
Quote by Jackolas

Gear:
frankibo
UG Board King
3,093 IQ
I think a good start would be to take the names of a few people who want to participate.
Make sure there aren't too many people or it'll become a mess. Make sure they're well known in the forum and that everyone involved respects their composing abilities. I'm not really to keen on being part of a collab if it's gonna deteriorate into a bree/generic metalcore/grindcore (etc) fest. I sometimes write that stuff into collabs for a laugh but I don't really wanna see it in a serious album.
Finalise the names that will be involved and that will stop it getting out of hand.

So to start it off, I'd like to participate.
You may now deliberate as to whether I should be permitted to join.

I also think that rather then forcefully editing other peoples songs, it would be better to suggest corrections and improvements and new parts and see how everyone feels about them. It'd be nice if we can get to a point where we all like what we've created.

Also maybe it'd be nice to make it a rule to only write parts that either;
1) you can play yourself
2) It's reasonable to assume one of the other collaborators who may have equipment you don't have or is slightly better at a certain instrument can play the part
3) Can be nicely simulated with a VST

That'd leave it open to being recorded at some point which would be sweet and I'd love to be a part of that. So basically I won't be writing 8 string triplet 32nd note sweeps. I can't do that and I think it's pushing it to assume that most people can haha.
My songs are all located here .
Feel free to drop by and crit a song.
Leave a link and I'll return a crit

Colossus
Last edited by frankibo at Feb 18, 2011,
guitar_jew
974 IQ
Quote by frankibo
I think a good start would be to take the names of a few people who want to participate.
Make sure there aren't too many people or it'll become a mess.

This. I'd like to participate. I think to avoid monotony, we need to limit genre appearances. I don't want to outright ban metalcore compositions, but I don't want them to comprise the majority of the album, either.
Rokkstar
1,773 IQ
Well good point to bring about, see it's good when we all get together and brainstorm because details like that, no one person can think about on their own. So no, no one random can come about and just write something onto it, they have to be a respected composer amongst the forum. At least two people, I believe is fair, must be able to vouch for a writer in order for them to be able to be added to the list of writers for this album. Great idea Frank. We should all go into the UG IRC channel and discuss things in real time perhaps? I'll be there.
edgespear
UG Senior Member
502 IQ
I'd like to help contribute but I haven't uploaded anything i've written =/ Can people not like, add to the composition what they think and if you don't think it's good then just don't use it?
Quote by Jackolas

Gear:
Rokkstar
1,773 IQ
UG IRC Chat is down currently... =\
Quote by edgespear
I'd like to help contribute but I haven't uploaded anything i've written =/ Can people not like, add to the composition what they think and if you don't think it's good then just don't use it?

I thought about that before I read your post and so I added that to the guidelines as well. You can submit a few pieces of material you have written to composers on the approved composer list and then they will approve or deny you. I think two approvals is fair enough. I vouch for Frankibo, I love his writing. Anyone vouch for me? If not, this is embarassing... >.> lol. All my music is on my defiance64 account, so I'll just link to pieces I wrote:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1305743
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1404601
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1368476
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1411677
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1393192

Not amazing, but I think they're slightly good? Approve or deny me?
Wquennasar
Melancholic
423 IQ
I'm not sure how exactly the album is going to be done. Do we just start several different collabs? Someone uploads an intro, then someone else throws up a verse? I get the idea that we all collab on the songs, but I don't get how the songs would get done in the first place.

I'm interested, but this whole thing will collapse if there isn't a concrete format/plan, especially given the scale of the project.
All is ghost in memory and poison in the sun
Rokkstar
1,773 IQ
Quote by Wquennasar
I'm not sure how exactly the album is going to be done. Do we just start several different collabs? Someone uploads an intro, then someone else throws up a verse? I get the idea that we all collab on the songs, but I don't get how the songs would get done in the first place.

I'm interested, but this whole thing will collapse if there isn't a concrete format/plan, especially given the scale of the project.

Well generally the idea is to be a regular collaboration, except with only approved writers so that it's not the key of C-major being sick nasty, and all of a sudden the key of suck open chord breakdowns for the rest of the song. I'm thinking we should create individual threads linking back to this thread for each song, so we can work on multiple songs at once, and still only allowing the approved writers to contribute. All in all it's going to be a regular collaboration, just with approved writers. So if you want to write a verse, or a verse and chorus, you can add it in, and instead of us labeling each part our names, we name it what we believe the section is, and in the list of composers inside the GP5 files we list our names, and as well as on the title of the song on the list of songs in the final download.

Example:

01 Goats are Sacred
- Written by User1, User2, ICan'tBelieveIGotApproved, User4
02 Goats are Still Sacred
- Written by User6, User5, User1, User7, User8

And when we record it, or sample it or whatever and we have a singer or something in the future (let's not discuss this quite yet until we have the kinks worked out for writing the songs FOR this) then we can record it and all that jazz blah blah blah and list everyone who recorded/sampled it in a MP3 format.

The idea is anyone can suggest a fix for a section (from the approved writers) and the person who wrote the section can accept or deny it. So it's just a more mature version of your everyday collab. Suggestions?
frankibo
UG Board King
3,093 IQ
Well I've already got an intro that can be expanded on by someone. It's just like a little djenty polyrhythymic riff.
I think that's how it should work to begin, we'll work on a little something individually, submit it, and then people can contribute to sections of each others pieces. Stuff like vocals I'll leave to someone else, but I can contribute on all other instruments.

Also I'll definitely vouch of Rokkstar. Your new compositions are great, kept your great writing but ditched the generic.

Colossus
Last edited by frankibo at Feb 18, 2011,
Rokkstar
1,773 IQ
Quote by frankibo
Well I've already got an intro that can be expanded on by someone. It's just like a little djenty polyrhythymic riff.
I think that's how it should work to begin, we'll work on a little something individually, submit it, and then people can contribute to sections of each others pieces. Stuff like vocals I'll leave to someone else, but I can contribute on all other instruments.

Also I'll definitely vouch of Rokkstar. Your new compositions are great, kept your great writing but ditched the generic.

So lets decide how we want to do this... Do we want to create a new thread? And also Wquenn, if you're wanting to contribute, I can say that you spend some time on some stuff that you put up around here, so you have MY approval.
champayne
Sexual Harassment Panda
843 IQ
I think this is actually a pretty good idea. I'm really tired of people writing half-ass breakdowns when they can't think of anything good to write in collabs. I'd be willing to sample it, but the basic MIDI converter trial I had expired and FL Studio doesn't seem to went to recognize slides or bends properly :/.
Quote by RhyseOrtiz
Banned because.. that was brilliant, champayne

Some of My Recent Songs

[thread="1403441"]Synthetic Damage WIP[/thread]

[thread="1350364"]The Nightman Awakens[/thread]

[thread="1322579"]Into the Sunset WIP[/thread]

[thread="1296556"]Frost[/thread]
[thread="1247340"]The Butter Knife Massacre[/thread]
[thread="1253933"]Into The Sparta Pit[/thread]

[thread="1224038"]Untitled Tech Thing[/thread]
frankibo
UG Board King
3,093 IQ
Quote by Rokkstar
So lets decide how we want to do this... Do we want to create a new thread? And also Wquenn, if you're wanting to contribute, I can say that you spend some time on some stuff that you put up around here, so you have MY approval.

I'll give my approval on one condition.
please don't make all the songs a power metal fest about dragons and kings. Please. I still have nightmares about those collabs.

Colossus
champayne
Sexual Harassment Panda
843 IQ
Quote by frankibo
I'll give my approval on one condition.
please don't make all the songs a power metal fest about dragons and kings. Please. I still have nightmares about those collabs.

Oooooh. I remember that thread. And the dragon/hero shooting section towards the end.
Quote by RhyseOrtiz

Some of My Recent Songs

Wquennasar
Melancholic
423 IQ
Haha, I don't even write that much power metal! It was just a fun/cheesy little thing for the collab.

I can approve frank/champayne for all the collabs we did last year, and defiance for the bitchin' banjo riff in the recent collab.

@champayne - Check out REAPER, I think it's better than FL Studio for non-techno stuff. With the right VSTs you can get a good sound out of midis. Plus, it's free.
All is ghost in memory and poison in the sun
guitar_jew
974 IQ
Well, if I need vouching, these are the compositions I'd recommend.

He Who Sits on the Throne of the Ruined World (in my sig)
This thing here.
Zeromus- Final Fantasy IV, Metal arrangement

Although if I were to write for this, I'd definitely go in a less technical direction, say, like this.

Vouchers from me go to Rokkstar (he started the thing, and no one seems to dislike his stuff, so...) Wquennasar, frankibo, and champayne. I've looked at their stuff from time to time (sorry if I never critted- if so it was because I didn't have anything useful to say) and their adds to the collabs.

My vote says we work out ALL details and participants on this thread first, and just add a (ALBUM) marker to all thread titles of pieces being submitted for this, or something like that. That way, the general population of T&C can crit our work, too.

EDIT: Also, on the assumption that I get in (if not, well, then this is irrelevant), I don't want to be credited as guitar_jew. XD Jeffro The Man is my new handle on every other site, I just don't want to be bothered with making a new email address for UG.
Last edited by guitar_jew at Feb 18, 2011,
champayne
Sexual Harassment Panda
843 IQ
Ahh, that's a pretty good idea. I say everyone should post a few samples of their work and see who would vouch for them. I would recommend everyone interested so far, I've seen your work: Rokkstar, guitar_jew (or Jeffro the Man), Wquennessar, and frankibo. If you need to look at my work, check out "The Nightman Awakens" or "Synthetic Damage", or "Into the Sunset" if you're looking for something less technical in my sig.
Quote by RhyseOrtiz

Some of My Recent Songs

Last edited by champayne at Feb 18, 2011,
Rokkstar
1,773 IQ
Yeah, good idea champ, I already posted a few links to my work in the post on the first page, plus my sig has all of my works...
DiminishedFifth
Absolute Imperfection
3,247 IQ
I'd be down. It just has to be organized properly. I've been around for awhile, so I'm sure many of you have heard my work. If not, links in sig and here.

All of my stuff is going to be a bit djenty, most likely in a weird tuning, and jazz-ish Just a forewarning.
Quibokk
Kiwi
894 IQ
This sounds pretty cool. I'd be keen for participating, but only if I'm wanted, as I'm quite happy to simply watch and see how this turns out.
Discretionary note: can't play anything, so keep that in mind if the ultimate goal is recording the album in some capacity. Not really expecting to be accepted, but figured I might as well put myself out there. Hope this gets finished, I'm very curious to see how all the different writers are going to mesh.

See any of the relatively recent work in my sig if anyone is interested in vouching for me or not. Not sure how to sell myself besides saying that my work is primarily focused on melody... or least I think so.
frankibo
UG Board King
3,093 IQ
Wquennasar, guitar_jew, champayne, DiminishedFifth and Quibokk all get my vote.
I like the djentyness that champayne and DiminishedFith bring, the progressive side that Rokkstar brings, the atmospheric and beautiful clean parts that Quibokk brings, that post-hardcore riffage that guitar_jew brings and... well... I haven't really listened to Wquennasar's stuff but he's promised not to write power metal so I'm cool with that.

I'm excited about the post-hardcore/djenty-ness that is being brought to the table. My two favourite genres, I think they'd mesh together really well. It's also the sort of stuff I tend to write nowadays so I'm really excited to be involved in this.
Think djent grooves, atmospheric cleans, melody and dissonance and big choruses.

Maybe it'd be an idea to kinda push the album in a general genre direction? Otherwise it might lose focus and become a shambles of genre mash ups like the collabs on here. Just an idea but I'd love to see a progressive/ post-hardcore/ djent album. That would be awesome.

Colossus
Last edited by frankibo at Feb 19, 2011,
Rokkstar
1,773 IQ
Quote by frankibo
Maybe it'd be an idea to kinda push the album in a general genre direction? Otherwise it might lose focus and become a shambles of genre mash ups like the collabs on here. Just an idea but I'd love to see a progressive/ post-hardcore/ djent album. That would be awesome.

I'm down for (Post-)Hardcore/Progressive/Experimental/Metal/Rock. Plus I think we should incorporate the major-key into it, because it's very underly-saturated in the genres that are in discussion, and I don't mean like the whole album be major key, I mean just let's not go shy of using it. A lot of the users in this forum do shy away from it, and keep it generic metalcore, believe me, I've been there.

Quibokk gets a vote from, he's ballin'. DiminishedFaith and Quibokk must've worked together because they both have "Cloud 9" on their minds haha. guitar_jew has some nicely themed sections to his pieces and he seems to spend a lot of time on them. So I'd say he's in. So I suppose that means they make our roster!
MetaIronForce
ULTIMATE-DISNEY
904 IQ
I'd like to join. As well as the stuff in my sig, I have a load of unfinished stuff like a rock ballad, and a song called Heatseeker which is going to be a long hard rock song with some shreddy bits.

I mainly write classic rock/hard rock/classic metal stuff. By classic metal, i mean Iron Maiden sort of stuff.

I just finished working on a solo and I'm impressed myself with the lick I've just wrote. It sounds fast, and awesome, but its in no way insanely tricky.
I like writing solos and riffs. A good example of my riffs can be found in Blue Jam (in my sig), and this unfinished thing: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9731723/Original%20Songs/Driving%20Rock%20Riffs%20-%20Am220.gp5

I would also like to say there should be absolutely no TuxGuitar at all, because even after you fix it, you've put Tuxguitar data into a GP file and wierd stuff can still occasionally happen.
Musical Theatre! *jazz hands*

...what am I doing on this site...
Last edited by MetaIronForce at Feb 19, 2011,
guitar_jew
974 IQ
Quote by MetaIronForce
I would also like to say there should be absolutely no TuxGuitar at all, because even after you fix it, you've put Tuxguitar data into a GP file and wierd stuff can still occasionally happen.

I think that would exclude too many people. Since it appears Arobas Music isn't selling GP5 anymore, and we've banned the use of Guitar Pro 6, the only alternative for people who don't have it is TuxGuitar.
DiminishedFifth
Absolute Imperfection
3,247 IQ
Quote by guitar_jew
I think that would exclude too many people. Since it appears Arobas Music isn't selling GP5 anymore, and we've banned the use of Guitar Pro 6, the only alternative for people who don't have it is TuxGuitar.

They could always acquire it "other" ways.

I think that the genre we have picked is awesome. We just gotta make sure that we do it.

Are we gonna pick what songs on the album we take?
Rokkstar
1,773 IQ
Quote by DiminishedFifth
They could always acquire it "other" ways.

I think that the genre we have picked is awesome. We just gotta make sure that we do it.

Are we gonna pick what songs on the album we take?

I think that we should work by a concept for the record kinda... Kinda like a book in album form. And I don't mean "Children are dying in Africa.", I mean like "She's taking the knife from the drawer, she can't take this anymore." idk just dramatic type stuff. Of course breaking away from genericness we need to avoid certain subjects... And if we decide to do a book/concept type album then we could select which sections we want to work on, but nonetheless we're all working on all the sections to perfect it for each other respectively.

What do you guys think?
champayne
Sexual Harassment Panda
843 IQ
Quote by Rokkstar
I think that we should work by a concept for the record kinda... Kinda like a book in album form. And I don't mean "Children are dying in Africa.", I mean like "She's taking the knife from the drawer, she can't take this anymore." idk just dramatic type stuff. Of course breaking away from genericness we need to avoid certain subjects... And if we decide to do a book/concept type album then we could select which sections we want to work on, but nonetheless we're all working on all the sections to perfect it for each other respectively.

What do you guys think?

Think about the children in africa

I do think the idea of a concept album is a pretty good idea.
Quote by RhyseOrtiz

Some of My Recent Songs

Rokkstar
1,773 IQ
Quote by champayne
Think about the children in africa

I do think the idea of a concept album is a pretty good idea.

We'll sell our recorded final and all proceeds will go to them. lol....Hehe...>.>

So first, let's discuss the tweaks/other guidelines that must be followed... Read the first post for the current list.
Quibokk
Kiwi
894 IQ
Definitely agree with giving the album a focus with a central genre and concept - I'm not very picky, as long as I can fit in with what's there.

I've just been wondering about contact - I guess the general idea atm is that we'll just be emailing each other with updates/suggestions...? I personally think a good idea would be to utilise Google Docs for noting who is working on what track, and who has got suggestions for each track. An easy way to keep things neat and tidy. Obviously that would mean either getting a Google account or sacrificing the privacy of your already existing one to the rest of us, though.
Opinions? Perhaps it's overkill, but having a public document to all of the contributors definitely helps keep everyone on the same page.

EDIT: Or using the forum for all of this? Funnily enough didn't consider that.
Last edited by Quibokk at Feb 19, 2011,
Rokkstar
1,773 IQ
Quote by Quibokk
Definitely agree with giving the album a focus with a central genre and concept - I'm not very picky, as long as I can fit in with what's there.

I've just been wondering about contact - I guess the general idea atm is that we'll just be emailing each other with updates/suggestions...? I personally think a good idea would be to utilise Google Docs for noting who is working on what track, and who has got suggestions for each track. An easy way to keep things neat and tidy. Obviously that would mean either getting a Google account or sacrificing the privacy of your already existing one to the rest of us, though.
Opinions? Perhaps it's overkill, but having a public document to all of the contributors definitely helps keep everyone on the same page.

EDIT: Or using the forum for all of this? Funnily enough didn't consider that.

Well. I'm good with Googling. It's up to the rest of'em. Everyone should get a Skype or something and we can all get on that and discuss in a group IM/voice chat.
DiminishedFifth
Absolute Imperfection
3,247 IQ
I've got a skype and an msn.

I think a good concept would be an epic poem. I'm not gonna give you the one I'm gonna do on my own, but I think it'd be a fun concept! Or a good book/play.

I, personally, will not be using vocals whatsoever. I prefer longish instrumentals (6-7 minutes).
champayne
Sexual Harassment Panda
843 IQ
We should set the concept and the tuning first. I guess we can switch, but I think that setting a predetermined tuning would be easier on everybody and we won't have standard-to-drop-A conflicts. I'm really excited to get this started, but how exactly will we get this started? Do we just do individual threads for each song?
Quote by RhyseOrtiz

Some of My Recent Songs

Rokkstar
1,773 IQ
Yeah I think we should all get on Skype. What is everyone's Skype address? dustin-daigle here.
champayne
Sexual Harassment Panda
843 IQ
Signed up. Will install later. Username - champaynesexualharassmentpanda
Quote by RhyseOrtiz

Some of My Recent Songs