trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
i know what german voicing sounds like, and i know that primarily the tonestack is what affects the voicing of the amp. so what is the most common tube used in "german" voiced amps? what are the approximate tonestack frequencies? are there any other contributers?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
Tunder250
1,115 IQ
it's always the germans!!

sorry, i had to say that

I love the sound of a good ENGL
I wanna hear the answer too ^^
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
4,843 IQ
filtering. a lot of filtering.
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
IronFeliks
The Picnic Guy
24 IQ
The wattage... It's actually pronounced Vattage, or Vatts.

I couldn't resist the joke, I know it's not the pit...

If I knew I'd let you know, I'd think it has to do with the way it clips the signal, but I've never even heard of a German Voiced Amp.

James
Funk Monk
2,227 IQ
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Tunder250
1,115 IQ
I don't understand xD

i only can see that you have a lot of mids and a bump in the higher mids?
but much more???
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
mespinos
Hamer time
514 IQ
Lots of compression and thick tight tone. That's what I always associated with German high gainers.

Can't tell you much more than that.

Edit: my engl's powered by 6550s but most other engl's are 6l6 or el34
/rig
Last edited by mespinos at Feb 24, 2011,
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,208 IQ
Best of US and Brit amps and usually with that ability to be saturated as **** with more clarity than crystal.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.

1977 Burny FLG70
sashki
6,579 IQ
From my limited understanding, "british" voicing refers a pronounced midrange, "american" amps have lots of bass and treble but less mids than british, and germans are a sort of more neutral-sounding middle ground between the two.

Having said that, I've heard plenty of different descriptions from different people which often contradict one another.
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me
859 IQ
about $3000
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
TheQuailman
Dan says I like poop
964 IQ
It's honestly an even more useless categorisation than "British" or "American" tone. Much like these, it's meant to describe the tone of a handful of famous amps. When I hear that term, I think mostly of an Engl Savage 120.
stratman_13
666lb bongsession
2,002 IQ
Quote by bluestratplayer
about $3000

But in all seriousness, when I think of German I think of really dry gain, very tight, and lots of low mids.

Past that, I couldn't really tell you.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Mybleedinglung8
UG's bad 80's music fan
265 IQ
The sound of win. But really most high-end amps sound unique.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty
2,300 IQ
ümlaüts.
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
brentonlatour
Daydream Beleiber
218 IQ
a german amp can drink more beer and eat more bratwurst than british or american amps. and you have to go to the dealer for parts and repair. also everything is metric.
mmolteratx
UG God
3,786 IQ
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i know what german voicing sounds like, and i know that primarily the tonestack is what affects the voicing of the amp. so what is the most common tube used in "german" voiced amps? what are the approximate tonestack frequencies? are there any other contributers?

The typical "German" voicing is lots of low mids, tight lows and a subdued high end. They're usually very dry sounding. The tone stack is not a significant contributer to the voicing though. Basically every amp uses the exact same one with the same or almost the same values. It's all due to coupling caps, cathode bypass caps and snubber caps along with appropriate grid stopper and plate resistor values.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
gumbilicious
beginner
1,236 IQ
i think the tone stack has alot to do with it. but min was right in broader since, it's all the filtering the results in the 'compression' and tones everyone is mentioning.

Quote by TheQuailman
It's honestly an even more useless categorisation than "British" or "American" tone. Much like these, it's meant to describe the tone of a handful of famous amps. When I hear that term, I think mostly of an Engl Savage 120.

LOL, right?

i think it is kinda hilarious it kinda has roots with the JTM45. marshall's first amp was a 'copy' of the bassman 5F6-A circuit, so the difference in the American and British tone is the difference in component values they were able to obtained for their production models. same basic circuit, slightly different cap and resistor values (lets not forget the tubes too). i am sure you knew all that already, i was just restating for posterity.

but, that is the difference in american and british amp: available OEM. i do agree Mr. Quail, the term "american or bristish tone" means more to the individual using the term than it does to the community at whole.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Wenge
10 IQ
ENGLs filter the signal tons and push a narrow band of midrange through the gain stages. The tone stack is designed to suck those mids back down to achieve "balance". Of course I know a few people who've made ENGL preamp circuits on another forum and most have made changes to that whole design. Resistors bypassing those heavy filters to let some bass and highs in mostly. I have other projects in the works, but I'm looking forward to taking a crack at the ENGL method myself. I finished a PCB for it awhile back, but funds and all....
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
1,339 IQ
Quote by gumbilicious
i think the tone stack has alot to do with it. but min was right in broader since, it's all the filtering the results in the 'compression' and tones everyone is mentioning.

LOL, right?

i think it is kinda hilarious it kinda has roots with the JTM45. marshall's first amp was a 'copy' of the bassman 5F6-A circuit, so the difference in the American and British tone is the difference in component values they were able to obtained for their production models. same basic circuit, slightly different cap and resistor values (lets not forget the tubes too). i am sure you knew all that already, i was just restating for posterity.

but, that is the difference in american and british amp: available OEM. i do agree Mr. Quail, the term "american or bristish tone" means more to the individual using the term than it does to the community at whole.

The thing is I don't think most people would think of the bassman for an 'american' sound, but probably something more along the lines of a twin or a deluxe.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
ibanezguitars44
Tab Contributor
2,916 IQ
i'd say it has that big thick sound like an american voiced amp, but a tight low end associated with a british voiced amp. and very compressed
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
nutinpwnsgibson
1,125 IQ
Quote by coolstoryangus
Precision engineering.

you know the germans make good stuff

(Invalid img)
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
gumbilicious
beginner
1,236 IQ
Quote by Kevin Saale
The thing is I don't think most people would think of the bassman for an 'american' sound, but probably something more along the lines of a twin or a deluxe.

yeah, and a black face at that. the AB763 is pretty much the 'fender clean' everyone really talks about.

i guess it was a weak point.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
4,843 IQ
actually gumbi I was talking about the power filtering. The interstage filtering on the engls actually doesn't make much sense to me. I can't figure out how those values actually work.

But they run a significant amount of DC heaters, rectified DC heaters, heavy filtering on the HT power supply line....

What appears to be diodes as current sinks and stabilizers in the power amp but I need to double check that. They might just be overload protectors.
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
Quote by AcousticMirror
actually gumbi I was talking about the power filtering. The interstage filtering on the engls actually doesn't make much sense to me. I can't figure out how those values actually work.

But they run a significant amount of DC heaters, rectified DC heaters, heavy filtering on the HT power supply line....

What appears to be diodes as current sinks and stabilizers in the power amp but I need to double check that. They might just be overload protectors.

could you double check that for me min? it would be greatly appreciated.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
4,843 IQ
no those are just relays. they do definitely run dc heaters though.
jacksonofcanada
115 IQ
a bit more compressed more in the middle of american and british as far as mids,able to have more saturation than american or british and still have really good clear "transparent" tone with no loss of definition. the only thing it doesn't equal between american and british is the above and being way better at being able to have such pronounced low ends.
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
This thread is a year old.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.