Page 4 of 124
im not just looking for effects, im looking for a way to practice with headphones and no amp. i have all the stomp boxes i need too, so effects for my amp is not what i want either.

and im asking if i want to amplify the pod, could i use the power amp section of my amp through my cab?
Yes you can.

though nothing on the HD can match the Dirty channels on the 6505....

Got my Pod 300 today, pretty impressed to be honest.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by nyandres
I finally got to try an Axe FX. Is not better than the HDs. Well it does some stuff better, but overall its not better. It just has more sounds, but quality wise, the good sounds in the HD are really up there. I still feel some of the touch in my amps though, and don't know what it is, cause the sound is certainly all there.

I see someone mentioned the eleven kills the pod. If thats true then the eleven is better than the Axe FX, because the HD sounds as good in my opinion

Getting good tone is much easier than with a POD, which is why you seem to prefer it.
The Axe lets you tweak everything. As in EVERYTHING. All the way down to values of caps and tube bias and stuff that will kill you if tried on a real amp.
Check out Fearedse's vids on the Axe vs the HD. THere is a pretty big difference. Maybe not 1000 clams worth difference, but a pretty massive difference nonetheless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPlPzuiMZOU
Like this.
Though i will admit, the Axe IS a bit overpriced. The Standard would be killer had it been USD1K. For 1.5, its pushing it a bit steep over a cheaper unit like the POD.

Oi Tom, NPD thread???
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Apr 5, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Getting good tone is much easier than with a POD, which is why you seem to prefer it.
The Axe lets you tweak everything. As in EVERYTHING. All the way down to values of caps and tube bias and stuff that will kill you if tried on a real amp.
Check out Fearedse's vids on the Axe vs the HD. THere is a pretty big difference. Maybe not 1000 clams worth difference, but a pretty massive difference nonetheless.
Like this.

Oi Tom, NPD thread???

On the Fearedse. The difference is massive because he didnt even try to make them sound the some. That said, the tones in my opinion are just 'different'. I bet that if you put me to listen them with 30 sec in between, (not side by side exactly) theres no way that Id know which one was which. In my opinion, its not that either of the sounds is 'better' just different.

the vid that I watched is this, its about the rectifier models.

the other one is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmcHJq5hqHA

In the last one, he really didnt try to make them sound the same. They sure sound different. Im not saying either is better, but Id maby prefer the Axe FX on the last vid. All in all, the rectifier models are equal in quality in my opinion between the two. If this is the only thing one would look for, think about it seriously. Axe - 2000e. HD300 - 300e.

and plus one for the NPD WITH CLIPZ!!!
Quote by fc89konkari
On the Fearedse. The difference is massive because he didnt even try to make them sound the some. That said, the tones in my opinion are just 'different'. I bet that if you put me to listen them with 30 sec in between, (not side by side exactly) theres no way that Id know which one was which. In my opinion, its not that either of the sounds is 'better' just different.

the vid that I watched is this, its about the rectifier models.

the other one is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmcHJq5hqHA

In the last one, he really didnt try to make them sound the same. They sure sound different. Im not saying either is better, but Id maby prefer the Axe FX on the last vid. All in all, the rectifier models are equal in quality in my opinion between the two. If this is the only thing one would look for, think about it seriously. Axe - 2000e. HD300 - 300e.

and plus one for the NPD WITH CLIPZ!!!

Thats exactly what I said- had the Axe been cheaper it would be a genuine winner.
I personally find the Axe a better sounding unit, but not for the price.
BTW the standard is 1.5. The Ultra is 2.

And NPD! NPD! NPD!

Tom feeling shy to show love for an MFX?

Fine. Im showing mine.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1364718&highlight=NPD+rp500

Mind, I was a noob then. Took me a lot of time to realize I was making crap patches. Its only now, after almost 6 months with it that I can get good tones. Wish I had a better amp to run it through though it sounded oh so awesome through the Laney LC at the shop......
NGD tomorrow lads.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Syriel
Is the Roctron Velocity 100 a good enough PowerAmp for the Eleven Rack? Thinking of getting the Eleven in a while.

It will sound decent, but I doubt it will do in a band situation. It outputs 150W ONLY in 4 ohm mode. Mose stereo cabinets are wired at 16 ohms a side, that will bring output down to 50W or so (150 @ 4, 100 @ 8, 50 @ 4 according to the site), which will result in you bumping up against SS clipping at high volume. Which sounds terrible.

Try grabbing a used Carvin TS100 off EBay. They are very flat sounding, so it wont color your tone. It's tube, and a hundred watts tube is hell loud. Also has MASSIVE headroom. Doesnt distort easily.

EDIT:
Quote by Tom 1.0
NGD tomorrow lads.

Tomorrow's two hours away for me
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Apr 6, 2011,
Cant find my camera.

Soz.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Syriel
Is the Roctron Velocity 100 a good enough PowerAmp for the Eleven Rack? Thinking of getting the Eleven in a while.

hi, on the GT-10 forums, a user reported that the rocktron velocity 300 fixed a lot of the tone "issues" he had in his setup(GT-10, mesa cab 1x12)

He likes the reactance feature of it.

i think it would be a good setup for any preamp/modeler.
Its not good enough....

Should be up tomorrow, will be a double NGD day.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
lawl oh tom...

Ive been waiting for this npd since the first time you suggested it. Oh come on anxious.

C'MON!!!!

Cheers Tom
Bit of an issue with pt.2 of my ngd so will post the pod up in a few hours.

Sorry for the delays.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I really cant be bothered to type it up.

the long and short is, its ok, though I wished I had saved my money instead

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Meh.

Ifind if you use it as recording tool its brilliant, through a PA, on its own, great, against another tube amp.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Meh.

Ifind if you use it as recording tool its brilliant, through a PA, on its own, great, against another tube amp.

We still want pr0nz.

Thats probably cause the POD doesnt do any poweramp simulation if I remember correctly. The Eleven Rack and the Axe Fx are the only ones that do that IIRC
Try running the POD through a tube poweramp like a Carvin TS100. I'm kinda curious what it does for tone.
I would imagine that would help, but it is only a cheap stop gap so I wont be the guy to do it unless I borrow one,

sorry

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
I would imagine that would help, but it is only a cheap stop gap so I wont be the guy to do it unless I borrow one,

sorry

What's next on your hit list?
Mine keeps changing, thought the budget is constant
A car.

Then an ENGL Invader sometime early next year, followed sshortly by a Parker of some kind, a PRS Mccarty and then thats it for good.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
A car.

Then an ENGL Invader sometime early next year, followed sshortly by a Parker of some kind, a PRS Mccarty and then thats it for good.

Invader eh?
Have you heard that sig Engl, the one with the chains? I dont remember what it was called though.......

My focus is on getting the thick end of a couple of grand first.
Looking at sig, gonna take a long long time
The ENGL SE?

Yeah, its ok, my Steve Morse was practically the same though so I wouldnt buy one, if I wanted one, i would go for an SM again, I still might....

yeah saving sucks.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
The ENGL SE?

Yeah, its ok, my Steve Morse was practically the same though so I wouldnt buy one, if I wanted one, i would go for an SM again, I still might....

yeah saving sucks.

Understatement I still only have twenty dollars
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Invader eh?
Have you heard that sig Engl, the one with the chains? I dont remember what it was called though.......

Isn't that the Victor Smolski Sig or something? It looks badass, but imo the sound is meh. But i only heard it on youtube. Those vids never do justice for what an amp really sounds. XD

Btw what do you guys think of the Rocktron Prophesy II, the Digitech 1101, or the Boss GT-Pro? How does it go as compared to the Eleven Rack or the Pod HD500? I wouldn't dare say how they hold up against the BadAssFX cuz its obviously in its own world.

EDIT: SAVING SUCKS INDEED.

EDIT v2: THE CHAINS AMP. the Victor Smolski.
Last edited by Syriel at Apr 11, 2011,
Quote by Syriel
Isn't that the Victor Smolski Sig or something? It looks badass, but imo the sound is meh. But i only heard it on youtube. Those vids never do justice for what an amp really sounds. XD

Btw what do you guys think of the Rocktron Prophesy II, the Digitech 1101, or the Boss GT-Pro? How does it go as compared to the Eleven Rack or the Pod HD500? I wouldn't dare say how they hold up against the BadAssFX cuz its obviously in its own world.

EDIT: SAVING SUCKS INDEED.

EDIT v2: THE CHAINS AMP. the Victor Smolski.

I dunno much about the Prophecy aside from the high price tag, the 1101 is essentially a souped up RP1000. Same DSP. So you get really good low to mid gain. High gain is nice, but the new POD's do better. The GT Pro's amp models arent as good as the GSP, effects are on par or better, with greater flexibility.
The Eleven Rack is easily the best of the lot feel and tone wise, but it's more of a recording tool than a live rack. Feel wise, the Eleven is on par with the Axe. The Axe kills it on features and sheer tweakability.The POD's are the best sub 500 dollar units, but cant keep up with the Eleven, feel wise, though it has far mroe features..

EDIT: The Prophesy doesnt seem to be a typical modeller- it looks like a 4 channel pre amp with built in effects and MIDI capability rather than a true MFX unit.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Apr 11, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
We still want pr0nz.

Thats probably cause the POD doesnt do any poweramp simulation if I remember correctly. The Eleven Rack and the Axe Fx are the only ones that do that IIRC
Try running the POD through a tube poweramp like a Carvin TS100. I'm kinda curious what it does for tone.

I think it does. For every amp simulation there is a copy that ends with "pre." From the manual those are preamp only, which would mean the others are both power, and preamp combined.
Quote by nyandres
I think it does. For every amp simulation there is a copy that ends with "pre." From the manual those are preamp only, which would mean the others are both power, and preamp combined.

Hmmm.......in that case, I daresay Axe is still untouchable.
Strange, cause Ive heard a lot of people saying that using a tube poweramp opened up their tone a lot.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Hmmm.......in that case, I daresay Axe is still untouchable.
Strange, cause Ive heard a lot of people saying that using a tube poweramp opened up their tone a lot.

I tried both, and to be honest I thought they were without doubt in the same level. There were some tones I prefered in the pod, and some I prefered in the Axe. The Axe has more tones though, which is a plus. The quality of the two however, I thought to be exactly the same after lots of EQ in both for hours. I do wish the Diezel VH4 was available in the pod though.

With that said, the two are really in the same level I thought, and still not quite right in terms of feeling like a tube amp to the player. I feel if I was listening to either one, I would not be able to notice the difference (between these and a tube amp), but playing them you can feel how they still lack something in comparison to an amp.

One thing the HD does a lot better by the way, is responding realistically (still feels a bit off though) to signal strength. In the vintage amps this is noticeable and very nice.

I ran them through an Evans amplifier which is incredibly articulate sounding.
Last edited by nyandres at Apr 11, 2011,