Hey guys,

I want to buy a new amp instead of my shitty stock one.
I play thrash metal like Metallica, Megadeth, Bullet for my valentine ETC...
I don't want to copy anyone's sound but I do like there sound.
I was hopping you would suggest amps like lest say a Marshall JCM800 or a Mesa dual rectifier or a peavey 5150.
please feel free to comment if you have any thoughts what so ever.

P.S please (don't have to but if you want) explain why you picked that same amp.
ohh and my budget is £10,000
Thanks for ALL your help
ENGL Powerball II, Mesa Roadster, Krank Rev plus, or a Marshall JVM 410. Into a Mills Acoustic Cab. No matter what get the mills acoustic cab! it's just better then everything else...

Also: Bogner Uberschall is awesome!
Last edited by Jaredmkl at Feb 27, 2011,
Quote by Twistedrock
Budget of £10000

Dude.

Buy one of each of the amps you mentioned in the OP :P

Yeah that's what I was thinking about haha : ) I was saving from when I was a boy
Marshall vs. Peavey vs. Mesa have totally different voicing. I'm trying to make the same decision and its tough, played a jvm and 6505 for a couple hours yesterday and being a megadeth fan I'm leaning to the marshall sound but I quite like the 6505 sound as well. 6505 is darker more in your face, while the marshall is brighter, sounds less sterile, your classic megadeth sound.

At your price, also look at splawn quickrod/nitro, engl, and others.

edit: to cover all your bases just get a splawn nitro, peavey 6505, and mesa dual recto the more the better ha.
JVM 410H
Blackstar HT5c
Jackson KV5FR
ESP LTD H-302
Last edited by ninjab at Feb 27, 2011,
Yeah you could get a few "boutiqe" half stacks for that.
Go to your local shop and test drive them your tone may be diffrent from every one elses.
I pretty much don't like Marshall's sound, not because its bad but for me and my playing style I'd preffer an american voced amp(Mesa,Peavey,Bogner) but others don't like what I do. Throwing such a random question and with the budget to buy any thing you'll get lots of diffrent answers.
If you don't have a local store check out andersons ( I think thats what the name is) with a 10000 budget you could take a trip and still afford your amp.
Hope this helps
Quote by ninjab
Marshall vs. Peavey vs. Mesa have totally different voicing. I'm trying to make the same decision and its tough, played a jvm and 6505 for a couple hours yesterday and being a megadeth fan I'm leaning to the marshall sound but I quite like the 6505 sound as well. 6505 is darker more in your face, while the marshall is brighter, sounds less sterile, your classic megadeth sound.

At your price, also look at splawn quickrod/nitro, engl, and others.

edit: to cover all your bases just get a splawn nitro, peavey 6505, and mesa dual recto the more the better ha.

nice one dude but I did mention ENGL but I tested a marshall JVM an well to me personally it dose not sound very good but that pretty me personal taste so thanks for the comment but again personally I dont like the JVM'S that much
Quote by J Mud
Troll? What's your current gear?

First of all why troll? second I have a ESP LTD M1000 (great guitar) and as I said a shitty practice amp the dosnt even have a endorcment name and a pedal board with like 15 different pedals (please dont call me stuff because of money and gear, im just trying to be a nice guy)
Soldano
Splawn
Bogner.

Look at those three. If you seriously have 10,000 pounds, you could buy that and more. Hell, get yourself another guitar or 6 as well.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
I'm biased to Soldano's, so I'll say an Avenger if all you need is one channel and no fx loop, and a Hot Rod if you need more than one channel. The SLO they have is a bit pricey for a slighty better sound, so i won't suggest it.

Plenty of great clips on youtube
I'd look at a Splawn for sure, a Quick Rod or Pro Stock will nail that classic thrash tone. You could go for a Nitro if you wanted something a little more modern as well. I'd also look at the Diezel Herbert, 5150 iii, Titan Custom, Rivera K-Tre, Krank Rev, and a KK JCM800.

At that budget there should be nothing that is inaccessible to you so try everything you possibly can and as mentioned above don't skimp out on the cab. Also, be sure to post a NAD.
out of the brands you have i would recommend a 6505 or a +, a mesa roadster, and i have no marshall to recommend as ive only played one real top of the line marshall and i wouldnt use it for that type of music haha.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
"Marshall JCM800 or a Mesa dual rectifier or a peavey 5150." Yup. All of those plus 6505+ or a Triple Rectifier.

Now for others? The Mark series of amps is EXTREMELY versatile and I can get an insane thrash tone from my Mesa Mark IV. I'd also reccomend a Splawn Nitro. Maybe an ENGL Powerball, but I'm not really sure how those sound for thrash.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
how much stuff like BFMV do you play? I wouldn't really call their tone thrash, it's more of a modern metal tone- megadeth is hot-rod marshall territory, while metallica varies... earlier metallica is more hot-rod marshally, while later metallica is more of a modern metal tone.

EDIT: with that budget, though, you could easily buy a kickass hot-rod marshall type amp plus a kickass modern metal amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
im loving these soldano suggestions. they sound pretty sweet. but really with that much money please dont go off what we tell you. try them all yourself and see which one you like the best. if i had that much to spend id live at as many guitar stores as i possibly could trying out everything i could possibly get my hands on and listening to clips of every stinking amp i could that i couldnt get my hands on.
definitely. I mean there are 3 or 4 really kickass music shops in the UK which have a wide range of high-end stuff. Depending on where you are, it'd be worth paying a bit of money on train tickets or easyjet flights to hit a couple of them- obviously if you're in the far north of scotland it might be a pain to get to any other than guitar guitar in edinburgh or glasgow, but if you're fairly central, or even in the south, it'd be a plan.

EDIT: obviously phone or email first before making a trip, as shops sometimes advertise stuff which they don't have in stock (or maybe they just haven't updated their website).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't even know why you're asking with a budget like that just buy the most versatile rig possible
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Mesa Roadking 2: cos its awesome

Diezel Herbert: cos its awesome

Marshall JCM800 2203KK: cos its awesome

then go and buy a cab with V30s in it, probably a Mesa Recto 4x12 if i had the option

then go and buy a car with the spare cash
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Why dont you get an AXE FX with one of those power amp and cab combinations that are supposed to bring the best of it. I like my tube amps and all, but with a budget like that, Id have an AXE FX rig, with an awesome guitar. I would not spend all 10,000 on gear, unless I have at least 25000 to spend.

If you do end up getting a tube amp, get a great cab. The only brands that come to mind are Port City, and Mills Acoustics. Marshall, ENGL, Orange and all the better known brands are crap by comparison.
Last edited by nyandres at Feb 27, 2011,
Quote by myfootinyourass
Hey guys,

I want to buy a new amp instead of my shitty stock one.
I play thrash metal like Metallica, Megadeth, Bullet for my valentine ETC...
I don't want to copy anyone's sound but I do like there sound.
I was hopping you would suggest amps like lest say a Marshall JCM800 or a Mesa dual rectifier or a peavey 5150.
please feel free to comment if you have any thoughts what so ever.

P.S please (don't have to but if you want) explain why you picked that same amp.
ohh and my budget is £10,000
Thanks for ALL your help

£10,000. That's over 16,000 US dollars.

I'm with the others that recommended Soldano. Get an SLO-100. It's recognized mostly as a 80's hair metal amp (George Lynch used one), but it will give you thrash tones easily. If you don't care for clean tones, get the Avenger instead. It is a single channel amp containing only the lead circuit of the SLO-100, and it's $2,000 less.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
£10,000. That's over 16,000 US dollars.

I'm with the others that recommended Soldano. Get an SLO-100. It's recognized mostly as a 80's hair metal amp (George Lynch used one), but it will give you thrash tones easily. If you don't care for clean tones, get the Avenger instead. It is a single channel amp containing only the lead circuit of the SLO-100, and it's $2,000 less.

Even if he cares about the clean, there are better amps that he could use for clean. The soldano is amazing for distortion. You could have an evans for your cleans, and switch to the soldano for trash rhythms.
If your serious about dropping that much money, pick your favorite 3 amps for clean, dirty, and lead and run them all together with a midi controller.

Fender/Rivera cleans > AC30 dirt > Diezel VH4 everything else???
/rig
also id say look at a roland jazz chorus for cleans. if your a metallica and bullet for my valentine fan i believe they both use that for cleans.
My advice is do more research. Those amps you listed are not considered the 'best' on many people's lists. Yes amps are personal taste, but with the amps you listed you may be buying a different amp in a few years. And get a good cab too, which merits it's own research.
Out of the ones you listed: The Marshall for old school thrash definately i.e. early metallica, early slayer and any of the other amps for the modern thrash sound.
I would suggest either

an Axe FX Ultra with a VHT 2/50/2 and a midi floorboard and a good Furman Power Conditioner. [It's a great versatile rig that can do a whole lot. To see a nice long demo, Look at the (R)evolution of Rock demo from the youtube user rednebb]

a Mesa Mark IV for rhythm and lead with a Mesa Lonestar for Cleans, get a good Furman Power Conditioner, a Dunlop Rack Wah, probably an Ibanez Tubescreamer 808 for a lead boost and whatever other effects you really like (maybe an MXR Phase 90 for phase or a TC Electronics M3000 Reverb/Delay for example). [A very versatile rig that will help you get awesome lead rhythm and clean sounds

A Mesa Mark V with all the other stuff I listed for the Mesa Mark IV (minus the Mark IV and the Lonestar). [Another very versatile rig. This amp blew me away]

I'd suggest maybe the ENGL SE, but I haven't played one. I'd also suggest the Invader with the same stuff as above, but Mesa's would probably be closer to a Metallica sound.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6