Page 69 of 69
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
832 IQ
Quote by Guitar0player
It was a sarcastic remark really...should've mentioned that...

Yeah, it's hard to tell sometimes in text. I read it several ways, considered the history of the groups etc. then decided to just respond as if it had no deep, hidden meaning.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike
3,174 IQ
Quote by Arby911
Yeah, it's hard to tell sometimes in text. I read it several ways, considered the history of the groups etc. then decided to just respond as if it had no deep, hidden meaning.

Well, if some way it had a hint of honesty about it. I think the German, especially H&K are better weapon engineers than IMI. But the Galil is still one of the most selling rifles ever.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
DeathByDestroyr
EDM
953 IQ
That's AK47 right? I don't know much about guns I guess, I have some, sometimes I shoot them, usually at ducks or deer each fall.

Looked at some SKS online... shit where the yugo SKS not everywhere for <150 USD just a few years back?
'81 Ibanez DT400
'69 Bassman 50
Marshall 1960a
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User
506 IQ
Savage .30-06 for whitetail, .338 WM for black bear.

I'm still not going to be doing much bow hunting this year. I'll probs go with a buddy, but unless I have a deer 10 yards away, I'm not gonna take a shot. I just haven't had enough practice with the bow to be confident with it. I got decent last year, but I'm shit again.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User
506 IQ
I want to do some elk and moose hunting so bad. Tasty indeed.
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
832 IQ
Given that most hunters afield aren't competent to take shots at anything over 300 yards (probably closer to 200, given the "minute of pie plate" accuracy often displayed, but I'm being generous) there's exactly zero reason for the big 'magnum' cartridges for most people.

Don't get me wrong, I both own and enjoy shooting them, I just don't hunt with them. Over the last several years the longest shot I've taken on a deer has been 162 yards, with most of them less than 100 yards (and a few less than 40). I only take headshots and while I've a match grade .223 that would be perfect, I usually carry a .308 because we occasionally see wild hogs and I'm not comfortable with the stopping power of the .223 in a short-range situation against a 400# boar. The last Elk that I shot was taken with a neck shot while I was standing ~225 yards away. I used a .257 Roberts (Ackley Improved), and it dropped where it was hit and was dead before it hit the ground (neck shot).

I do have a friend with whom I "hunt" rock chucks, and then I use a 7mm STW, which given what I've said above may seem like overkill, but we've a rule that we take no shot less than 500 yards, so I like the fast, and consequently flat, trajectory that the STW offers.

Horses for courses, but most hunters are overgunned (and underpracticed) and would be better off with a mid-range caliber that was more comfortable to shoot, instead of the latest kill-o-zap 3000 that they are afraid of because of the recoil.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Sep 14, 2015,
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User
506 IQ
I've seen good .223 loads flip the switch on a few nice-sized hogs.

Either way, I agree that most people are overgunned/underpracticed, but if a person shoots a magnum well, I don't see an issue.
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at Sep 14, 2015,
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
832 IQ
Quote by Skynyrd890
I've seen good .223 loads flip the switch on a few nice-sized hogs.

Either way, if a person shoots a magnum well, I don't see an issue.

There's no question that they can get the job done, but in a potentially lethal situation I prefer a bit more decisiveness.

There's no issue, except that most people don't shoot a heavy-recoil weapon well, because it takes practice and it's expensive.

I don't care if you, or anyone else, wants to use them. More power to you! I support your right to use any legal means available. I've simply explained why I don't choose to and why I feel they are for the most part unnecessary to the task.
Charles Darwin
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User
506 IQ
Well, so far, I've yet to see a .30 cal anchor a black bear, even with ideal placement. I've been present on 5 black bear hunts in the last two years with friends, and every bear ran a significant distance once it was hit. If they just aren't going to drop, then I want them to go as short a distance as possible, and be trackable. Best I can tell, the fat and hair closes up the entrance and reduces the exit (if there is one) with the limited amount of .30's I've seen. That reduces the blood trail, and slows them dying, which is rather inhumane. I'm not happy with either of those.

Now, I haven't shot one with a .338 yet, but I'm banking on it creating a more significant entrance/exit hole, and reducing the issues I've seen... suffering and running.

Maybe I could have picked a .338 Federal or .338-06, but show me a box of that in a local store. The WM is everywhere, and I can find the more practical 185gr-210gr weights for it local as well. Additionally, this particular rifle is right at about 9 pounds with the scope, with a Pachmayr pad. It has less felt recoil than an 8 pound 870 with full power slugs, something I have a lot of trigger time with, and something that both recoil calculators and my own back-to-back shooting proves.
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at Sep 14, 2015,
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
832 IQ
Quote by Skynyrd890
Well, so far, I've yet to see a .30 cal anchor a black bear, even with ideal placement. I've been present on 5 black bear hunts in the last two years with friends, and every bear ran a significant distance once it was hit. Best I can tell, the fat and hair closes up the entrance and reduces the exit (if there is one). That reduces the blood trail, and slows them dying, which is rather inhumane. I'm not happy with either of those.

Now, I haven't shot one with a .338 yet, but I'm banking on it creating a more significant entrance/exit hole, and reducing the issues I've seen... suffering and running.

Maybe I could have picked a .338 Federal or .338-06, but show me a box of that in a local store. The WM is everywhere, and I can find the more practical 185gr-210gr weights for it local as well. Additionally, this particular rifle is right at about 9 pounds with the scope, with a Pachmayr pad. It has less felt recoil than an 8 pound 870 with full power slugs, something I have a lot of trigger time with, and something that both recoil calculators and my own back-to-back shooting proves.

Bear hunting would be the North American exception to the "most part" that I alluded to. When I lived in Alaska I carried a .338 WM...

But...a good friend of mine took an exceptionally large brown with a .30-06 at about 15 yards, and his son some years later killed a moderate sized black bear with a .22 pistol. (Wasn't his choice, it was all he had.)

I'd suggest that although bullet placement is critical, bullet performance is equally (or nearly so) important. What works on thin skinned, medium weight game isn't generally ideal for the dense, tough hide and muscle of a bear. Nosler Accubond, Swift Scirocco, Hornady Interbond and the like are the order of the day here.

The Alaska natives were known for killing Polar bear with .22 rifles but I'm unwilling to attempt it...

But all that aside, I think you're arguing against statements I'm not making?
Charles Darwin
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User
506 IQ
Quote by Arby911
Bear hunting would be the North American exception to the "most part" that I alluded to. When I lived in Alaska I carried a .338 WM...

But...a good friend of mine took an exceptionally large brown with a .30-06 at about 15 yards, and his son some years later killed a moderate sized black bear with a .22 pistol. (Wasn't his choice, it was all he had.)

I'd suggest that although bullet placement is critical, bullet performance is equally (or nearly so) important. What works on thin skinned, medium weight game isn't generally ideal for the dense, tough hide and muscle of a bear. Nosler Accubond, Swift Scirocco, Hornady Interbond and the like are the order of the day here.

The Alaska natives were known for killing Polar bear with .22 rifles but I'm unwilling to attempt it...

But all that aside, I think you're arguing against statements I'm not making?

I'm not arguing with the wall, more just airing out thoughts.

But I agree on bullet construction taking the marginal into adequate, and I have no doubt that a person can take whatever they need with whatever they have at the time... We did survive with sticks and stones, after all. It just comes down to comfort levels. I'm more comfortable with a more abusive rifle than I am the thought of having a bear wheeze out for 30 minutes.
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
832 IQ
Quote by Skynyrd890
I'm not arguing with the wall, more just airing out thoughts.

But I agree on bullet construction taking the marginal into adequate, and I have no doubt that a person can take whatever they need with whatever they have at the time... We did survive with sticks and stones, after all. It just comes down to comfort levels. I'm more comfortable with a more abusive rifle than I am the thought of having a bear wheeze out for 30 minutes.

I agree, simple hunting ethics. I suppose the corollary to what I was saying is "use ENOUGH gun!".

Handloading your .338 or buying premium ammo for your next bear hunt?
Charles Darwin
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User
506 IQ
Quote by Arby911
I agree, simple hunting ethics. I suppose the corollary to what I was saying is "use ENOUGH gun!".

Handloading your .338 or buying premium ammo for your next bear hunt?

Probably going to have to buy for this season, there are some 210 TTSX's at the local store that I might pick up, but I do plan to start loading for it soon. The rifle I'm using is still in the project phase, but it should be race ready by end of the month, and the season starts Oct. 12, so I don't know if I want to try and squeeze in getting a load worked up too. My loading stuff is all packaged away right now, and I'd like to get a chronograph before I jump back into it.

Pic of said rifle. Need to fit the magazine, get a scope on it, then shoot it a bit and make sure everything is working as it should + check accuracy with the new stock, and lastly, zero for the season.
Dreadnought
Oceanic Mountainman
5,250 IQ
Smart idea

Never seen them
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
832 IQ
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

I'll be pre-ordering a couple of boxes. I've sent them an email asking about accuracy, as it's not addressed on the website. Great idea though, if it works.
Charles Darwin
DeathByDestroyr
EDM
953 IQ
Apparently they have been tried before, but these guys seem to be doing the best so far. Casing durability would be an issue you would think?

I don't see any rifle rounds, and I don't really shoot pistol.
'81 Ibanez DT400
'69 Bassman 50
Marshall 1960a
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
832 IQ
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Apparently they have been tried before, but these guys seem to be doing the best so far. Casing durability would be an issue you would think?

I don't see any rifle rounds, and I don't really shoot pistol.

They claim casing durability is superior to brass.
Charles Darwin
sunaj
60 IQ
Any traditional bowhunters on the forum?
sunaj
eGraham
Rattle That Lock
1,541 IQ
I'm a novice recurve archer, but I don't bow hunt

Looking to get into longbows eventually
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
sunaj
60 IQ
Quote by eGraham
I'm a novice recurve archer, but I don't bow hunt

Looking to get into longbows eventually

What's your setup?
sunaj
eGraham
Rattle That Lock
1,541 IQ
I have a 45 pound PSE recurve. Like I said I'm pretty novice so I'm not sure what information you're looking for.

It's an entry level recurve but I wanted to test the waters with something on the lighter/affordable end before getting too much into it financially. It's a great bow, though, and I definitely enjoy shooting.

edit: It's not a takedown, it's a solid piece
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

sunaj
60 IQ
Quote by eGraham
I have a 45 pound PSE recurve. Like I said I'm pretty novice so I'm not sure what information you're looking for.

It's an entry level recurve but I wanted to test the waters with something on the lighter/affordable end before getting too much into it financially. It's a great bow, though, and I definitely enjoy shooting.

Sounds like a good way to go,
do you shoot RH?
I'm a lefty,
I shoot a custom reflex/deflex bow,
bamboo/fiberglass and I have a modified Howard Hill 60# 5 layered bamboo longbow
that shoots like a dream,
took me up until now to pull it back after a shoulder fracture 1 1/2 yrs ago,
I have about 10 bows but not one take down,
always wanted one but they are typically %25 more expensive
sunaj
Last edited by sunaj at Dec 5, 2015,
eGraham
Rattle That Lock
1,541 IQ
Right handed

That all sounds impressive but I honestly still don't know much about them lol. I just started this summer.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

sunaj
60 IQ
Quote by eGraham
Right handed

That all sounds impressive but I honestly still don't know much about them lol. I just started this summer.

LOL
That's ok
well let me know if I can help anytime,
I have been shooting since I was a young teenager,
shooting traditional is like playing 12 string guitar-its not for the weak or timid,
but if you want to be a true archer this is way to go
sunaj
Bikewer
65 IQ
I'm not a hunter at all, but I got into bowmaking for a while and turned out several longbows, a couple of sets of arrows, etc.
My best effort was a #45 Osage Orange longbow. It was my first attempt at this wood....Someone on one of the primitive archery forums gifted me with a very nice stave and it turned out very well.

Making your own equipment is very satisfying, and can be done with a minimal investment in tools ands such. I'd wanted to try since I read Howard Hill's "Hunting The Hard Way" way back in the 60s when I was a teen.
I had no woodworking skills at all at the time, of course.... But building cigar-box guitars and carving necks was pretty much the same techniques!
sunaj
60 IQ
Osage is wonderful,
wish I had a good stave,
American indians typically used bows in that range
and relied on hunting skills and good shooting
sunaj
DeathByDestroyr
EDM
953 IQ
I have a budget ASE compound bow... it works well enough. I don't have time to hunt with it though, give me my .270 or shotgun slugs. I'm hungry.
'81 Ibanez DT400
'69 Bassman 50
Marshall 1960a