Page 5 of 70
personally I am a bowhunter, I have 2 longbows that are alot of fun, a Ragim fox custom 45lbs draw for Deer and small game, and a 55lbs draw Fred Bear Montana for moose and black bear. I used to use compounds but like the simplicity of the modern laminate longbows, I still use carbon arrows though, my Bemans and Goldtips are indestructable, haven't broke or lost one yet.
Looooove my guns. Currently using my Great-Grandfather's Winchester Model 70 for my deer hunting rifle. I don't think I'm ever going to stop using that thing
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
It's already done, so there's not much that can be changed, but for future reference:
I'm writing a webcomic which features heavy amounts of gunplay. It's set roughly 20 years from now in the aftermath of a second civil war. What do you think of these choices as replacements for the M9 and the m4?

Standard issue rifle: HK416
Standard issue pistol: FN Five-seveN

EDIT: Also, what's your choice for the most intimidating easily-concealable knife on the planet? I'm planning on using several of them.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Last edited by FrustratedRocka at Apr 26, 2011,
Quote by flyfshr
personally I am a bowhunter, I have 2 longbows that are alot of fun, a Ragim fox custom 45lbs draw for Deer and small game, and a 55lbs draw Fred Bear Montana for moose and black bear. I used to use compounds but like the simplicity of the modern laminate longbows, I still use carbon arrows though, my Bemans and Goldtips are indestructable, haven't broke or lost one yet.

Nice to see another bow hunter on here.

I killed my buck and black bear with a Mathews MQ1 and just this year I got a Z7. I love it. Can't wait to go antelope hunting with it this summer.
Last edited by BurningStarlV at Apr 26, 2011,
What do you think of these choices as replacements for the M9 and the m4?

Standard issue rifle: HK416
Standard issue pistol: FN Five-seveN

HK416 sounds like a semi-realistic replacement. Five-seveN, no way. As a replacement to the M9, it would need to be 9mm and majority of parts made in the US.

Considering that Colt has its greedy hands in the pockets of senators, I would expect the M4 line to stick with us for a looooong time.
Quote by BurningStarlV
Nice to see another bow hunter on here.

I killed my buck and black bear with a Mathews MQ1 and just this year I got a Z7. I love it. Can't wait to go antelope hunting with it this summer.

nice !! yeah I don't have compounds anymore, but when I did, I had a PSE firestorm lite, great bow but discontinued, my brother has it now.
My wife has a Diamond Razor's Edge by bowtech, she's actually a pretty good shot with it.
Hey guys, I'm considering getting a Glock 30 in the near future. I'm debating on whether or not I need a round that large. It fires a .45 ACP. Also in consideration are Glocks that fire a .357 and a 9mm of course.

I will be using this gun mainly for sport, as in target shooting. That being said, however, this gun will also be for my self-defense. This is why I'm looking at the .45 ACP. As I understand it, a 9mm doesn't possess much stopping power. The round is supposed to enter and exit very cleanly, whereas a .45 ACP will stop anyone with one shot.

My question is, does any one here have experience with the Glock 30? Is a .45 ACP overkill? Should I be considering any other gun other than Glock for someone on a tight budget?
Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Quote by axethrower13
Hey guys, I'm considering getting a Glock 30 in the near future. I'm debating on whether or not I need a round that large. It fires a .45 ACP. Also in consideration are Glocks that fire a .357 and a 9mm of course.

I will be using this gun mainly for sport, as in target shooting. That being said, however, this gun will also be for my self-defense. This is why I'm looking at the .45 ACP. As I understand it, a 9mm doesn't possess much stopping power. The round is supposed to enter and exit very cleanly, whereas a .45 ACP will stop anyone with one shot.

My question is, does any one here have experience with the Glock 30? Is a .45 ACP overkill? Should I be considering any other gun other than Glock for someone on a tight budget?

I've shot a Glock 30 a couple times (buying one here soon), and it's an excellent little gun. .45 ACP is also my favorite auto pistol round. It's a harder-hitting round, and has less penetration issues (pretty important for a defensive round) than 9mm. There's no round for an auto that is a guaranteed one-shot-stopper, but you're more likely to get one with .45 ACP. That said, .45 is a bit more expensive to shoot, which is important if you want to shoot it a lot. You may find that 9mm is more cost-effective to shoot at the range than the .45, and you're not losing entirely too much stopping power. As for .357 Sig, I've had no experience with them, but I'm pretty sure they're a 9mm in a necked down .40 S&W casing, so I imagine you're getting even more penetration issues at a slightly higher price. I wouldn't even really consider .357 Sig amongst the other two if defense is in mind.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at May 1, 2011,
Quote by Skynyrd890
I've shot a Glock 30 a couple times (buying one here soon), and it's an excellent little gun. .45 ACP is also my favorite auto pistol round. It's a harder-hitting round, and has less penetration issues (pretty important for a defensive round) than 9mm. There's no round for an auto that is a guaranteed one-shot-stopper, but you're more likely to get one with .45 ACP. That said, .45 is a bit more expensive to shoot, which is important if you want to shoot it a lot. You may find that 9mm is more cost-effective to shoot at the range than the .45, and you're not losing entirely too much stopping power. As for .357 Sig, I've had no experience with them, but I'm pretty sure they're a 9mm in a necked down .40 S&W casing, so I imagine you're getting even more penetration issues at a slightly higher price. I wouldn't even really consider .357 Sig amongst the other two if defense is in mind.

Hey thanks for the input. I don't go out shooting all that often, maybe once every couple months. With summer approaching though, that number may go up. I've got myself a Ruger 10/.22 that I've been shooting for about 12 years, which I'm pretty damn good with if I say so myself. Thats what I'd shoot most when I'm out as its dirt cheap.

I'll have to think about the 9mm seriously. Cheaper is better honestly. My only concern is in a self-defense scenario, if nerves are at me and what not, I don't want to have to accurately find my target more than once in order to be safe.

Do you own any handguns, if so what?
Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
Nup, I don't currently own any, simply because I could go to jail for having a gun in my possesion.
Although I have fired a steyr aug. before, when I visited the army barracks. Got a 108mm spread at 100m away.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Quote by ghostnineone
the m9 is just a milspec 92fs, i know there are differences but i dont know if they have a dramatic effect on the gun at all though

Not sure if it's been answered, but if it has a safety its more than likely a 92fs. No safety but a decocking lever means it is a 92g. The 92s is my first gun, but I have to wait another year (only 20 now) until it is truly mine.

Edit: Also, for home/self-defense check into this bad boy:

Taurus Judge. Can shoot either a .45 caliber round or a 410 shell.
/SG/
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."
Last edited by moomoocons at May 1, 2011,
Quote by axethrower13
Hey thanks for the input. I don't go out shooting all that often, maybe once every couple months. With summer approaching though, that number may go up. I've got myself a Ruger 10/.22 that I've been shooting for about 12 years, which I'm pretty damn good with if I say so myself. Thats what I'd shoot most when I'm out as its dirt cheap.

I'll have to think about the 9mm seriously. Cheaper is better honestly. My only concern is in a self-defense scenario, if nerves are at me and what not, I don't want to have to accurately find my target more than once in order to be safe.

Do you own any handguns, if so what?

I don't have any handguns (400ish days away from 21 lol), but I've shot several. And cheaper is always nicer (Uncle's got quite a few handguns that I shoot regularly, and I buy my own ammo for 'em, so I get the costs). And as far as stopping goes, I've always subscribed to the thought that familiarity and confidence is more important than the round. If you go with .45, and you may not like the recoil, or you don't get out to shoot it as often due to it's cost, you won't be as effective as you could be with the cheaper and just as proven 9mm round that you could have practiced with a little more often. If you are effective with the .45, then you are given the benefit of better stopping power, but it's marginal. I would suggest you go to the fun store, and see if you can try out a Glock 30 and 26 (sub-compact 9mm), and then decide based on the shooting characteristics of each. Then practice, practice, practice. All the stopping power in the world is useless if you don't connect with your target. And you can always get hollow point 9mm rounds to decrease the likelihood of over penetration, as well as increase the amount of energy that's dumped into the target.

EDIT - about the Taurus Judge... .45 Long Colt may be effective, but .410 has never been a trusted defensive caliber out of a long gun, let alone a 2-3" revolver. The Judge is mostly a snake gun IMO. There's a reason I have a 12 gauge for home defense, and not a .410.
Quote by Skynyrd890
. The Judge is mostly a snake gun IMO.

Well the judge is going to be easier to move around with (compared to a 12ga), even more so if a woman needs to use it. Also, they dont make this round for killin' snakes - it's made for stopping very bad people in their tracks:

Winchester PDX1 410

Its got three metal disks and around 12 BBs. Those will make a very damaging impact.
/SG/
Last edited by moomoocons at May 1, 2011,
"This load is also suitable for varmint hunting and pest control."

I think that's what every .410 round is for, honestly. And I think that people trusting a .410 with their life is going to be what ends it. The shot inside loses it's energy incredibly fast, so unless your target is just putting his chest on the muzzle, he's probably getting away... or more angry. Now the .45 Colt is a different story. That is plenty for defense. But still, if I had to give something that size to a woman, I'd just hand her a .38 Special and some +P rounds.
Quote by JustRooster
H&K USP .40 cal: Honestly, I got interested in this pistol from Call of Duty. I know, sounds cheesy. I really have like everything from H&K that I've had my hands on, so I got to try this out at a range and the trend continued. It shot well, I like the .40 round, and it just overall looks really friggin' cool. So I got it. If I had to be in an action movie, this is the pistol I'd take.

Isn't the USP usually .45 ACP?
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
Quote by Drakathan
Isn't the USP usually .45 ACP?

They come in .45 ACP, .40 S&W, and I think 9mm. Either that or the 9mm is another line?

EDIT - just checked... it does also comes in 9mm.
Went seal hunting last week with a .22 rifle. Don't know offhand what the gun was and I cba to go to the shed and check, but I used Remington .22-250 rounds for all the shots. I have never seen so much devastation come from a .22 round in all my life. Don't know why I didn't use it before, but after a particular shot to the head on one of the seals caused the entire skull to explode. Only thing on the ground that was recognizable was the lower jaw, everything else was scattered in many, many pieces.

I am a fan. Anyone else ever go hunting with this round?
I used to have a Winchester 30-30 rifle. Darn accurate as I shot at targets fifty yards away with open sights and all hit. Tried 100 yards and out of 20 shots I hit 13 also with open sights. That was hard because the target was so small at that distance the sights was covering it.

We shot my friend's 22-250 at 100 yards and the bullets was so fast that I see the holes appear (with a spotting scope) on the target as soon as I heard the firing pin clicked. Then there's the report a split second later.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by OldRocker
I used to have a Winchester 30-30 rifle. Darn accurate as I shot at targets fifty yards away with open sights and all hit. Tried 100 yards and out of 20 shots I hit 13 also with open sights. That was hard because the target was so small at that distance the sights was covering it.

We shot my friend's 22-250 at 100 yards and the bullets was so fast that I see the holes appear (with a spotting scope) on the target as soon as I heard the firing pin clicked. Then there's the report a split second later.

nnniiiiccce man
I like shotguns. thats all you need to know
Quote by OldRocker

I would love to get a 30-30. I would probably get a Marlin, they're sweet guns.

Quote by BurningStarlV
I would love to get a 30-30. I would probably get a Marlin, they're sweet guns.

My uncle's got a Marlin 30-30... first centerfire I ever shot. Rocked my world at the ripe old age of 8. I've not shot it a whole lot, but it really is one of the most fun rifles I've used.
Quote by Skynyrd890

I think that's what every .410 round is for, honestly. And I think that people trusting a .410 with their life is going to be what ends it. The shot inside loses it's energy incredibly fast, so unless your target is just putting his chest on the muzzle, he's probably getting away... or more angry. Now the .45 Colt is a different story. That is plenty for defense. But still, if I had to give something that size to a woman, I'd just hand her a .38 Special and some +P rounds.

Just shoot em in the face.

Last edited by Doobergn at May 1, 2011,
Quote by Doobergn
Just shoot em in the face.

SHOOT 'EM IN THE FACE, IT'S HIS ONLY WEAKNESS!
I hate living in Canada all guns that look "aggressive" are illegal
Quote by Skynyrd890

I think that's what every .410 round is for, honestly

Well that isn't every .410 round, its a specialized personal defense round. You CAN use it for varmint hunting and pest control but that is not this specific round's intent.

I've talked to quite a few people who know quite a lot about guns - a lot of them who even depend on one on a daily basis - who swear behind a Judge loaded with the specialized round.
/SG/
So while I'm waiting to get my PAL next year, my father has decided on the CZ-75b. Also getting a conversion kit to have it use .22 rounds. Really looking forward to trying it at the range.
I have a CZ P-01, the compact model of the 75, and I ****ing love it.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by slashermaster
I hate living in Canada all guns that look "aggressive" are illegal

only in canada.

i'm always gonna remember what the instructor for the course i took told us, she was saying anything the RCMP can do to reduce the number of guns people have, they'll do it. You're a criminal, no guns. Mental illness, no guns. A lot of it is understandable. But yeah, like you say, anything that basically hints at military looking stuff is nothing short of absent from the shelves. They'll do anything they can think of to reduce the number of guns in canadian households. I mean, it makes sense, but to what bloody point. I mean come on. I had to pay 250$ to take a course, which lasted 2 eight hour days, with a practical and theory test. AND THEN I had to wait 6 months to get my papers in, only to fill them and have them come back to me another 4 months because i didn't fill out a part because i forgot it amidst the confusing plethora of things to fill out, then send it again and finally get my card 2 months later.

And now I have to deal with our ridiculous prices for guns.

I don't know, I get it, gun control and all, but jesus christ where's the line. I shouldn't be complaining, I'm Canadian after all, I should be numb to government shafting already.
Quote by metalblaster
only in canada.

i'm always gonna remember what the instructor for the course i took told us, she was saying anything the RCMP can do to reduce the number of guns people have, they'll do it. You're a criminal, no guns. Mental illness, no guns. A lot of it is understandable. But yeah, like you say, anything that basically hints at military looking stuff is nothing short of absent from the shelves. They'll do anything they can think of to reduce the number of guns in canadian households. I mean, it makes sense, but to what bloody point. I mean come on. I had to pay 250$ to take a course, which lasted 2 eight hour days, with a practical and theory test. AND THEN I had to wait 6 months to get my papers in, only to fill them and have them come back to me another 4 months because i didn't fill out a part because i forgot it amidst the confusing plethora of things to fill out, then send it again and finally get my card 2 months later.

And now I have to deal with our ridiculous prices for guns.

I don't know, I get it, gun control and all, but jesus christ where's the line. I shouldn't be complaining, I'm Canadian after all, I should be numb to government shafting already.

and this is why I bowhunt only, they made it such a hassle in Canada to own firearms you're broke and can't afford the damn gun by the time you bought the safe and paid to get through the red tape.

probably won't be long here before my Fred Bear Montana longbow needs to be registered and locked in a 5000lbs safe and I need a background check and a permit.
Quote by flyfshr
and this is why I bowhunt only, they made it such a hassle in Canada to own firearms you're broke and can't afford the damn gun by the time you bought the safe and paid to get through the red tape.

probably won't be long here before my Fred Bear Montana longbow needs to be registered and locked in a 5000lbs safe and I need a background check and a permit.

Exactly. I remember an old simpsons episode where homer buys a gun and still has enough money to buy a silencer, a loudener, a lazer pointer, and an anti-helicopter upgrade. Okay so he dpes work in a nuclear factory but still.
i started shooting my grandfather's ruger red labels and my brother gave me a dagger
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by flyfshr

Bow hunting is considerably more enjoyable anyways I find. It's pretty much all I do when I go hunting now, barring when I go hunting with my dad (which isn't really that often, he loves fishing way more).

I just realised this post is old. Dang.
Quote by Dreadnought
Call them magazines! Not clips!
No, clips is right. Clips hold rounds, magazines feed.
FLYERS GONNA FLY
Philadelphia Flyers: 47-26-9
Quote by OldRocker

Then you my friend need to lok at the 220 swift THE fastest .22 round ever made. I read somewhere online ( not ug) that a guy handloading got upwards of 5000 fps!! ka-boom!
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
i want to go shooting, i havent fired anything in years
you brought a hooker to church?
i haven't shot anything since last duck season withdrawal, man...

EDIT: as much as i like to harvest food and eat what i shoot, right now i just want to go to the skeet field and burn some powder
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Last edited by IronMaiden76 at Aug 18, 2011,