jakesc8
Bañoed
1,323 IQ
So a person we have in our band, keyboardist, so he is kind of a nuisance and likes to play bass, causing the bassist to play guitar, an im not doing anything. No offence to keyboardists. But he plays soccer, so we cannot practice on mondays or wednesdays. That sucked, we were mad, but just dealt with it. Now hes signing up for baseball and we cant practice ever except 2 saturdays a month. Because his sports are also on saturadys half the time, we cant do that, and the bassist cannot leave the house on Sundays because of religion. What do we do?
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Et Ducit Mundum Per Lucem
mh1986
78 IQ
Get a new keyboard player or just practice without him. He's obviously chosen sports over your band, Id replace him.
SGmaniac1021
You're ugly, get over it
753 IQ
if you can't ever rehearse you won't get anywhere. I know it may be hard to kick out the keyboardist if he's a cool dude and your friend but look at these two options:
1)Keep him in the band....you guys never practice...and you all waste time as the band will get nowhere (unless you guys just do this as a hobby vs. a serious career)

2) Kick him out and you're able to practice and continue to rehearse on a much more reasonable schedule. Plus you may be able to find a new keyboardist to fill his place too

It's all up to you though. That's the way I see it
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
FireFromTheVoid
Strange Juice
96 IQ
Kick the keyboardist/bassist that makes you unable to practice out and let the real bassist play bass

Edit: or convince him to stop signing up for sports if he wants to be a serious member of the band
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I'll come out 3 years after the end of the world

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Mar 2, 2011,
jakesc8
Bañoed
1,323 IQ
Ok. We dont need a keyboardist, cause it doesnt work with our genre. I dont want to kick out the bassist, as bassist are hard to come by. And to get my spot back I just have to yell at him. And one day isnt that bad. thanks.
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

FireFromTheVoid
Strange Juice
96 IQ
No keep the real bassist in the band kick the keyboardist that likes to play bass out
Stratkat's pet

Quote by FireFromTheVoid

jakesc8
Bañoed
1,323 IQ
Ok. What about the matter of getting my position of guitarist back?
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

krypticguitar87
thats that...
673 IQ
ask for it back?
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
FireFromTheVoid
Strange Juice
96 IQ
I thought the bassist was the one that took your spot on guitar wouldn't if he went back to playing bass you slide right back into guitar
Stratkat's pet

Quote by FireFromTheVoid

jakesc8
Bañoed
1,323 IQ
Well, we used to be like interchangeable as bassist and guitarist. But now I find myself playing bass even on songs I suggest we play. pisses me off seeing as I got a new guitar, and he got an 800 dollar bass that doesnt get played.
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

FireFromTheVoid
Strange Juice
96 IQ
Then just ask to swap back it might take some convincing/ passive agressiveness
Or go the bitchier route and demand to be back on guitar and refuse to stay the bass player
Stratkat's pet

Quote by FireFromTheVoid

SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by jakesc8
So a person we have in our band, keyboardist, so he is kind of a nuisance and likes to play bass, causing the bassist to play guitar, an im not doing anything. No offence to keyboardists. But he plays soccer, so we cannot practice on mondays or wednesdays. That sucked, we were mad, but just dealt with it. Now hes signing up for baseball and we cant practice ever except 2 saturdays a month. Because his sports are also on saturadys half the time, we cant do that, and the bassist cannot leave the house on Sundays because of religion. What do we do?

If you can't practice on Mondays, Wednesdays, Saturdays or Sundays, that still leaves Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Why not just re-schedule practice for days when everyone is free?
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
1,703 IQ
Quote by SlackerBabbath
If you can't practice on Mondays, Wednesdays, Saturdays or Sundays, that still leaves Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Why not just re-schedule practice for days when everyone is free?

Yes exactly what I was thinking. Otherwise I'd go with kicking him. If he wants to play with the band, he'll make time.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Forkman
Julian
569 IQ
What are you gonna do if you get a gig on a Sunday?
Quote by Kozlic
Music doesnt need to be quality to be good.

Press eject, give me the tape, if you know what's good for you
dmiwshicldply
Id love to be a hippie
1,353 IQ
Quote by Forkman
What are you gonna do if you get a gig on a Sunday?

You tell them that the band is unavailable on sundays? Pretty simple, you can't/wont be expected to be available any time of the day any day of the week. Also I don't think I have ever played or even been to a gig on a sunday. Very few bars are open on sundays and bars are the most common of venues. I can't see not being available on sundays being any real issue.

But yea TS you still have some days open for practice in your week. Schedule those days, if not then kick him. That's about all you can do
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by dmiwshicldply
You tell them that the band is unavailable on sundays? Pretty simple, you can't/wont be expected to be available any time of the day any day of the week. Also I don't think I have ever played or even been to a gig on a sunday. Very few bars are open on sundays and bars are the most common of venues. I can't see not being available on sundays being any real issue.

Dunno about your part of the world, but here in Britain, Sunday afternoon gigs (to give people a chance to get over their hangover before work on Monday morning) used to be very popular and clubs all over the country used to have them. You don't see them as much now as you used to but they do still happen.
dmiwshicldply
Id love to be a hippie
1,353 IQ
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Dunno about your part of the world, but here in Britain, Sunday afternoon gigs (to give people a chance to get over their hangover before work on Monday morning) used to be very popular and clubs all over the country used to have them. You don't see them as much now as you used to but they do still happen.

Its illegal to sell liquor on sundays in a lot of places over here. So if bar can't sell liquor why bother opening the doors. Like I said I can not think of one sunday gig I've been to or played. I wish though I would love for something to do on sunday nights
fc89konkari
UG Addict
2,061 IQ
The bassist cant rehearse on 1 day of the week cause of religion. Big deal... Its religion, and you cant say hes wrong about that.

However, the keyboardist picked sports over the band, and causes other problems too. Kick him out.
elloel
123 IQ
Kick both the keyboardist and bassist. Doesn't sound like the keyboardist is dedicated enough. And you clearly don't want someone that goes to a church every sunday to talk about fictional characters in your band.
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by dmiwshicldply
Its illegal to sell liquor on sundays in a lot of places over here. So if bar can't sell liquor why bother opening the doors. Like I said I can not think of one sunday gig I've been to or played. I wish though I would love for something to do on sunday nights

Ahhh, still getting over that whole prohibition thing back in the 1920s eh?
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Mar 7, 2011,