Page 5 of 15
Originally posted by russiaininvader
well you attache the speakers to a 1/4 inch jack, like the guitar uses, and you plug a chord from the output jack on the head to the input you made for the speakers
Would you wire the speakers in series or parallel? because if you don't know you could run into problems.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Originally posted by John Swift
Would you wire the speakers in series or parallel? because if you don't know you could run into problems.

parallel, if you know your wiring try series parallel.
slammed my penis in the toilet seat when I was 7-8yrs old,when I tried to run away,it got caught and stretched out, now it is huge,and I have the good ol shxtter to thank

Member of the Anti-Hotpunksk8rgirl club. PM X Alkaline 3 to join
Originally posted by lost_it_again
parallel, if you know your wiring try series parallel.
In what situation would you use series parallel as opposed to series or parallel?
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
In what situation would you use series parallel as opposed to series or parallel?

pfffft i dunno, i'm sure i came across it in this thread though
slammed my penis in the toilet seat when I was 7-8yrs old,when I tried to run away,it got caught and stretched out, now it is huge,and I have the good ol shxtter to thank

That's the standard wiring for a 4X4.

"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Originally posted by Bubonic Chronic
That's the standard wiring for a 4X4.

ok i kinda thought that, can you supply me with a circuit diagram for that? or even better would bog standard parallel work?

Originally posted by lost_it_again
ok i kinda thought that, can you supply me with a circuit diagram for that? or even better would bog standard parallel work?
In most cases but only if you had 4 x16 ohm speakers then you would end up with a 4 ohm cab, but, you would not be able to add another cab in parallel as most amps don't like to work below 4 ohms which is where you would end up.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
here's some useful wiring stuff by the way people

http://www.usspeaker.com/speaker%20wiring-1.htm

Quote by abhishekrvce
bastered
Listen Bastard, this is how you spell Bastard not bastered!
I don't know kids today.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
come on, this has been a really useful thread so far. no point spamming it up
"Anytime but now
Anywhere but here
Anyone but me
I've got to think about my own life
The world is not our facility
We have a responsibility
To use our abilities to keep this place alive," said ian mackaye
Quote by abhishekrvce
bastered

Warned!

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
I want to make my own 4 x 12 guitar cab...how much room do i need between speakers, and how much room do i need between the magnet and back of the cab??

can it be right up against them or do speakers have pole venting(im guessing this is speaker dependant?)

( im more of a car audio guy, so i have no idea about this stuff)

also...it said there needs to be a port, why can you just not make a sealed box? and if i do put a port in it..would using an aero port work?? if so...waht do i tune to?
question to john swift or someone of similar godlikeness

i'm thinking about building a 2x12 cab, can i just use parallel wiring?

Hey, can I just wire a single 12" speaker cab by directly wiring the speaker to a 1/4" input and attach it to my amp obviously through a musicians cable?
I'm looking to build a 2x12 speaker cabinet.

What are some good affordable speakers?

And I'm going to build my own tube amp but its gonna be a small recording one (10watt), and I want to hook it up to the speakers I'm getting, but I also plan to buy a more of a gigging head (multi-channel 100watt some sort of peavey). And I want to use the same 2x12 for both.

Now earlier in this thread I read something about speaker wattages not working and things blowing up so...uh...can this be done? And if so what speakers or did I miss understand?
Could you suggest a wattage that would work with both because...well I'm hesitant without any solid number figures like "do not go under this and over that if you want a 10watt and a 100watt tube amp to use those speakers".

So could you or anyone else suggest some speaker wattages that would work? Like would something like a 60watt speaker be good or 35watt?
well if its a 100 watt amp, and your running two speakers, wired from one output, and in series, i would recomend them to be each at least 50 if you want to push the amp all the way, if they're a little bit less, you just have to pay attention is all. 60 would be good, i personally wouldnt go as low as 35, but its your call.
I'm new to this stuff and if I built a 2x12 extension cab and hooked it up to my 100watt RG100SC 2x12 combo would it run all four speakers or just the two in the extension cab?
I know the guy with the hot rod deville had a similar question, but I'm just trying to clarify.
-thanks and sorry if this is a dtupid repeatitive question.
And skins appalling petals...
Quote by ArmtheArmless
I'm new to this stuff and if I built a 2x12 extension cab and hooked it up to my 100watt RG100SC 2x12 combo would it run all four speakers or just the two in the extension cab?
I know the guy with the hot rod deville had a similar question, but I'm just trying to clarify.
-thanks and sorry if this is a dtupid repeatitive question.

Most combos at the lower end of the market will not allow an extension cab to work along with the existing speakers because the amp is not really capable of driving anything added to the existing speakers.
Once you get into the mid price range and upwards you will find that most combos will work with an add on on cab whilst still using the internal speakers, this makes sense as you can practice with a 2 x 10" combo and then add a 1 x 15" for gigging.
My advice is always make sure that your combo can take an extension cab at the same time using the existing speakers otherwise it just becomes a very heavy head!
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by lost_it_again
question to john swift or someone of similar godlikeness

i'm thinking about building a 2x12 cab, can i just use parallel wiring?

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, just got back from sunny Cyprus.
Two 8 ohms or two 16 ohms will be fine wired in parrellel giving you 4 & 8 ohms, two 4 ohms would be too low (2 ohms) for most amps.
Two 16 ohms in parallel (8 ohms) would let you add another cab later giving a total of four ohms.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by StanelyRichard
Hey, can I just wire a single 12" speaker cab by directly wiring the speaker to a 1/4" input and attach it to my amp obviously through a musicians cable?

Do not use screened cable for connecting speakers and speaker cabs, I presume that is what you meant by musicians cable, guitar leads/cords are for input signal not output power, low ampage mains cable should be used for speaker connection.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Thanks. But how should I hook up a single 12" speaker cab. I mean, what would be the simplest way of wiring a single 12'' speaker cab. Thanks for any help you can give.
Quote by StanelyRichard
Thanks. But how should I hook up a single 12" speaker cab. I mean, what would be the simplest way of wiring a single 12'' speaker cab. Thanks for any help you can give.
Most speakers have a plus and minus sign marked on the terminals others just have a red spot on the plus (positive) terminal.
In the UK the brown (in brown blue) or red (in red black) is positive, this should be connected to the jack plug tip connection on the cabinet jack socket, the blue should be connected to the other, this polarity must always be maintaned through the connecting cable to the amplifier.
It wont matter much if you get it wrong with a single speaker but if you get a speaker wired with the polarity reversed to another one then the speakers will be out of phase and one cone will be going out when the other goes in resulting in a honky middy sound.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
if only i had the skill to make one of these...
Take a Shower Shine the shoes, youve got no time to lose
-Dispatch
Quote by John Swift
Most speakers have a plus and minus sign marked on the terminals others just have a red spot on the plus (positive) terminal.
In the UK the brown (in brown blue) or red (in red black) is positive, this should be connected to the jack plug tip connection on the cabinet jack socket, the blue should be connected to the other, this polarity must always be maintaned through the connecting cable to the amplifier.
It wont matter much if you get it wrong with a single speaker but if you get a speaker wired with the polarity reversed to another one then the speakers will be out of phase and one cone will be going out when the other goes in resulting in a honky middy sound.

Thanks, but I already know how to wire things like that. I just thought there might be some step in the middle between the jack and the speaker. Guess not now. haha. Thanks again. Also, what kind of jack should I attach? I have figured not a 1/4" so which one insted??? Thanks.
Quote by StanelyRichard
Thanks, but I already know how to wire things like that. I just thought there might be some step in the middle between the jack and the speaker. Guess not now. haha. Thanks again. Also, what kind of jack should I attach? I have figured not a 1/4" so which one insted??? Thanks.

A 1/4" is ok on medium to low powered amps, it's the very high wattage (1000+) power amps where speakons should be used.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
ik i know i want to build a cab i have a basic idea oh how to do it
here it goes
i want to do a 2 12 2 10 combo
o
O O < set up like that the 10s above n below
o
i was thinking of lining the inside with blueboard insulation
allthough i dont know about porting it or not and i dont know what kind of speakers to put in it yet. any suggestions on the wiring . i would guess a 10 and a 12 together

all 8 ohm speakers i know that much i play guitar mainly metal but would drop tunings matter at all eg drop b
Last edited by allRocker420 at Nov 26, 2005,
Quote by allRocker420
ik i know i want to build a cab i have a basic idea oh how to do it i was thinking of lining the inside with blueboard insulation
allthough i dont know about porting it or not and i dont know what kind of speakers to put in it yet. any suggestions on the wiring . i would guess a 10 and a 12 together
all 8 ohm speakers i know that much i play guitar mainly metal but would drop tunings matter at all eg drop b
An 8 ohm 12 in parallel with a 16 ohm 10 would give 5.3 ohms letting the 12 do most of the heavy work.
The cab would not need to be anything special as bass tuning does not come into it at guitar frequencies, therefore it just has to accomodate the speakers and nothing more, although many guitarists do prefer partialy opened back cabs.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
this should be made into a column, it would be easier to read
My Gear:
Fender Standard Strat w/Tex-mex pups
Epi Les Paul Jr.
Epi MM-20 mandolin
Yamaha FG-110
Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
Where can you buy that plastic stuff that wraps around amps? The outer thing thats usually black
Quote by AutoMatic
Where can you buy that plastic stuff that wraps around amps? The outer thing thats usually black

What country do you live, in is it the UK or US?
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
U.s
-Fender Fat Strat
-Line6 Spider II 75w
-Boss Ds1 Distortion SOLD